Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Jun 14, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #4,081 of 5,379
We have a nice saying for projects like that: "he's heard the bell ringing but doesn't know where the clapper hangs" (from the country that brought you Louis van Gaal
biggrin.gif
). Heard about the thing but doesn't know how to make it work or why it rings. The felt pads isolate vibrations in the vinyl (that's why I don't like Linn/Rega etc sound) and the star earthing direct the -none present- vibrations to the cheap axis where the real vibrations from the vinyl end up anyway. Then carrying it over via a flimsy bridge to the armbase. And then the weights on the end of the thin carbon extrusions. That is worse than a tuningfork. If you think a platter should look like this than don't isolate with felt pads but couple it with a clamp.

Maybe the man knows about machining carbon-composit, but he does not appear to know anything about the basics of statica/dynamica (engineering calculus). For bending strength you need height/thickness, which works to the power of 3 (moment of inertia in a solid is 1/12.b.h^3) It looks nice to the layman, but to me it looks like an exercise in futility.

I just keep thinking: "Why?"
confused_face_2.gif

Correct.

I merely posted it as "interesting" pics - one would need one hell of a lot more carbon fibre (thickness...) to make TT from. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #4,082 of 5,379

Thanks for the pic.

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #4,084 of 5,379
  I found these posts on Micro-Seiki on another site.  Great pictures and interesting write up.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17789-Reference-Turntable-The-Step-Beyond-Micro-Seiki

You beat me to it....

Took me a while to get through this thread and just yesterday I was thinking to break my Micro DQX-1000 (1st in the photos from your link) out of storage and set it up for photos. Thinking of selling it....

Next couple of days I'll post pics here....

Cheers.

Jun 26, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #4,087 of 5,379
Loving my new Pro-Ject RPM 1 Carbon. :)
LOzSLgO.png

Sorry, don't have enough posts to upload any pictures. Would be really appreciated if someone could tell me some alternative ways of uploading photos without using imgur link.

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #4,088 of 5,379
  Loving my new Pro-Ject RPM 1 Carbon. :)
LOzSLgO.png

Sorry, don't have enough posts to upload any pictures. Would be really appreciated if someone could tell me some alternative ways of uploading photos without using imgur link.

Here you go :)

Its okay, just keep posting until you have enough posts then you're good to go! Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #4,090 of 5,379

Fine stuff!  Thanks for posting the good pics.

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #4,093 of 5,379
Linn has each day a special deal with a substantial discount; and today it is not GBs, but 180g of Dunedin Consort's Requiem by Mozart :

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-mozart-requiem-lp.aspx?utm_source=Linn+Email&utm_campaign=5d00c18163-LinnRecords_DOTDJuly2015DAY9&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_517fad5333-5d00c18163-278937253

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #4,094 of 5,379
  Nice system!  How do you like the Odyssey?  Is it quiet?

Yes, very much so.  Plenty of amps available for my speakers too :)

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #4,095 of 5,379
Not a great picture, but a great auction for a sleeper TT :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141714019907?rmvSB=true

These Onkyo models  (in the order of desirability from lowest to highest: CP-1055F. CP-1057F, CP-1055F II ) can be turned into a very very good performing tables. Not too easy to do, not totally without expense - yet one hell of a lot more value than say Tecnics SL-1200. Its greater limitation : accepts only very shallow cartridges, as it does not have arm height/VTA/SRA adjustment - and the only course to "adjust" this is the thickness of the record mat. It is also not suitable for LOMC cartridges - as most DDs, the electrical noise gets induced in the cartridge in the innermost grooves, where cart comes closest to the motor. Best results are obtained by well shielded MM carts, such as Ortofon, Audio Technica, Shure, etc. Remember - SHALLOW carts ( currently the only ones in production I know of are Rega MM carts, which are not exactly the cream of the crop ) : Ortofon FF, VMS, M20 series vintage carts are among those easiest "available". The table was originally fitted also with Ortofon FF15MKII cart - but the VMS20EMKII would be quite an improvement. Low mass arm allows for the use of a cart with such high compliance - and anyone willing to go for this cart with NOS stylus will learn pretty quickly that it was NOT only progress from say, mid 70s till now in phono department... - there is a reason why VMS20EMKII is still in such demand, many decades after its discontinuation by the manufacturer. 

Repeat, not for somebody with two left hands, but I will be posting how to get decent result from this vintage deck. Contrary to mfr description/specs, this thing needs a VERY stable/quiet support in order to perform best - so you have to figure in the cost of the support a la Isonoe feet ( Direct Drive TTs DO NOT LIKE too compliant supports, they go berserk if the support can "rotate" in the sense of the turning of the platter - such as typical spring suspended subchassis - and are therefore more suited to high mass approach ). 

This one has a very decent Signet cart fitted (Signet used to be "better" brand for top Audio Technica products in US back in the day ) - only question is the condition of the stylus. Current production AT styli might or may (not) fit - not familiar with this particular Signet cart and its compatibility with current ATs. Signet styli are extremely hard to come by and if and when they do turn up for sale, they command high prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back