Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Jun 8, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #4,066 of 5,379
  Nice and VERY carefully chosen setup - pumping into some Maggies ? 

Thanks! :)   Modified MGIIIa's, bi-amped and augmented with a 18" subwoofer.  The later shakes the floors and walls which is why I've had to do so much to isolate the turntable.  BTW the Target wall mount is also coupled to the equipment rack with blocks of high density foam which took the last vestiges of vibration completely away :)  You can see them between the Target and the granite.

Also there's a link in the last line of my signature that will take you to a complete description of my setups.

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #4,067 of 5,379
Wow Bob A, that is a lot of gear. A bit to much for my liking. And I already have to much in my livingroom. It makes me wonder what your real hobby is; vintage audio gear or music. That's not meant as a put-down, just wondering.

I was thinking maybe Ill try an old reel-to-reel since there are many comparably cheap tapes of very expensive lp's for sale. But they are so big and cumbersome. I value visual aesthetics, a hodge-podge of gear does not agree with that. And a big R2R certainly does not help at all.
Yours looks like there is constantly someone looking at you like :eek:

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #4,068 of 5,379
Wow Bob A, that is a lot of gear. A bit to much for my liking. And I already have to much in my livingroom. It makes me wonder what your real hobby is; vintage audio gear or music. That's not meant as a put-down, just wondering.

I was thinking maybe Ill try an old reel-to-reel since there are many comparably cheap tapes of very expensive lp's for sale. But they are so big and cumbersome. I value visual aesthetics, a hodge-podge of gear does not agree with that. And a big R2R certainly does not help at all.
Yours looks like there is constantly someone looking at you like
eek.gif

I would ADORE if the Tandberg TD20 A would 
eek.gif
 at me ... - one of the very best R2Rs ever made.

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #4,069 of 5,379
I value visual aesthetics....

Yours looks like there is constantly someone looking at you like
eek.gif

There is equipment in that rack that dates from 1973 which is indicative of the expanding / tweaking I've done over the years.  I always sought the best bang for the buck above a certain performance level and then did my best to keep the equipment humming over the years.  Obviously I enjoy the heck out of music.  You can classify all this however you see fit :)   BTW I'm also a retired empty nester which also accounts for the compete lack of WAF (wife approval factor) to my setup and the lack of big ticket current gear!

Here's to your visual asthetics :)

No clue what you're trying to say with that last sentence....

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #4,070 of 5,379
Well, it's a different matter if it's all your own gear from back in the day and still working. That only merits respect. But there are people who buy all sorts of old nostalgic gear and claim it's the best there is (just for bragging rights or w/e). Me, I have my own WAF built in. In the hope still being able to snag a nice girl. :D Looks pretty cozy though.

You don't see the :eek: likeness in the r2r deck? The reels look just like 2 owl-eyes watching you.

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #4,072 of 5,379
Have you guys watched any videos by this guy on youtube? Some are about crazy vinyl releases while others are just interesting. There are even a few funny ones.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ArtsyFartsyTimo/videos

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #4,074 of 5,379
Nothing special, except for the music:

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #4,075 of 5,379
Nothing special, except for the music:

The pic is special, love Rega simplicity.  And, I've loved that album for a really long time. Thanks for posting.

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #4,077 of 5,379
Nice lookin' table!

Congratulations.
regular_smile .gif

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #4,078 of 5,379
Those are some hard bangin' bucks! And a nice looking 'table. Just wondering what you use for MC amping... and what makes you think you can spin that record in broad daylight? :D

That white Rega might be humble, but it looks very nice. I think it looks special. Any turntable is special (as long as it isn't silver painted plastic), especially a beautiful white one. Or blue FTM.

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #4,079 of 5,379
While browsing ebay, I stumbled upon this prototype in auction today for couple more hours:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/High-End-Design-Prototyp-Plattenspieler-auf-Pro-Ject-Debut-III-Basis/331574378373?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083420%26meid%3D9398bc715d41444c8ef5c224926dd156%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D161728985897

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #4,080 of 5,379
We have a nice saying for projects like that: "he's heard the bell ringing but doesn't know where the clapper hangs" (from the country that brought you Louis van Gaal :D). Heard about the thing but doesn't know how to make it work or why it rings. The felt pads isolate vibrations in the vinyl (that's why I don't like Linn/Rega etc sound) and the star earthing direct the -none present- vibrations to the cheap axis where the real vibrations from the vinyl end up anyway. Then carrying it over via a flimsy bridge to the armbase. And then the weights on the end of the thin carbon extrusions. That is worse than a tuningfork. If you think a platter should look like this than don't isolate with felt pads but couple it with a clamp.

Maybe the man knows about machining carbon-composit, but he does not appear to know anything about the basics of statica/dynamica (engineering calculus). For bending strength you need height/thickness, which works to the power of 3 (moment of inertia in a solid is 1/12.b.h^3) It looks nice to the layman, but to me it looks like an exercise in futility.

I just keep thinking: "Why?" :confused_face_2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back