Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Jan 5, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #2,806 of 5,380
I was more commenting on some of the astounding hyperbole that gets thrown about by manufacturers. I suppose they are trying to be heard above the fray, but sometimes I just shake my head at the claims....

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #2,807 of 5,380
  Wow..a friend just showed me a picture of my Clearaudio Concept table with the new wood trim (instead of my brushed aluminum) .. I like it !

Looks nice. It would be a hard choice between that and the more industrial stock base.
However, I still like your refurbs more! 
I predict we will see images of your custom veneered CA within 3-4 months...
beerchug.gif

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #2,808 of 5,380
If you are fortunate enough to live somewhere there is a vintage audio equipment shop, like we have here in Portland, OR, you can get a good used TT for cheap. I got my dd Yamaha P520 for $169 with a new cart. Works great and is simple.

Without pics it never happened 
biggrin.gif

...I'm just sayin' this is a pic thread!

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #2,809 of 5,380
  I was more commenting on some of the astounding hyperbole that gets thrown about by manufacturers. I suppose they are trying to be heard above the fray, but sometimes I just shake my head at the claims....

Grand Prix Monaco TT claims are all well founded ( despite looking outlandish at the first glance)  - but it could have been much, much more - and better. It has the "right suff" ingredients, it is priced high enough to allow "above average treatment". 

In today's market, if you are not "chickensquaking" often and loud enough, you do not exist.

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #2,810 of 5,380
Isn't that just the whole problem with specs in audio? Very often those manufacturer specs mean next to nothing if you;
- cannot repeat them at home
- do not know the specimen variety (no lp is centered the same etc)
- do not know how to interpret given specs
- do not know how they affect sound

As an extra example there is the story on a consumer info program on tv lately about fuelconsumtion. In the brochures manufacturers claim 1:30 (km/l) or more. But IRL you're lucky to get just half that. Measurements are done with all accessories taken out of the car (incl rearviewmirrors), al seams taped off, grille ditto. A car totally stripped to the bone with tires about to explode (with no grip) etc etc. They say the EU and UN are developing a new methodology for fair figures. As if anything the EU(SSR) or the UN produces is fair... more like warfair or wellfare...

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #2,811 of 5,380

Yes...the SR828 and SR929 (know as the black beauties)...I almost bought one (the 929) for approx. $800 but the seller made me nervous on a speed issue and there is just no way to get the parts for these to fix (the chip)

Yes the rarity is an issue haha. The strobe is out on mine. I paper strobed it and it is fine but now I have no idea how to get a new one. Saw a brand new in box SR838 on ebay awhile back, some guy bought one while stationed in Japan and then never even used it. Insanity!

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #2,812 of 5,380
Oh yeah. oh yeah!

I got me my Decca up and running. I mounted it on an oildamped unipivot T988 arm from Opera Consonance (from China, they also make the Well Tempered arms as you can probably tell).

I made a very nice cable but I think I need a shielded cable for the Decca. I have quite a lot of hum. Sonically the Decca is ROCKING on the Yaqin MS22B! The mistake I made last time is that I had the weight at 2g which is not enough. Now I have 3.2g and it traces just fine. But the arm is a b14ch to get the azimuth right.

Here's the cable:

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2,813 of 5,380
  Yes the rarity is an issue haha. The strobe is out on mine. I paper strobed it and it is fine but now I have no idea how to get a new one. Saw a brand new in box SR838 on ebay awhile back, some guy bought one while stationed in Japan and then never even used it. Insanity!

You know the bulbs on these can be replaced pretty easy HOWEVER; I would be afraid to open such a fine and WORKING table (though I will open any table..lol)

If you go to vinylengine, you can probably find the service manual with the part number, find out what bulb works..

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #2,814 of 5,380
Oh yeah. oh yeah!

I got me my Decca up and running. I mounted it on an oildamped unipivot T988 arm from Opera Consonance (from China, they also make the Well Tempered arms as you can probably tell).

I made a very nice cable but I think I need a shielded cable for the Decca. I have quite a lot of hum. Sonically the Decca is ROCKING on the Yaqin MS22B! The mistake I made last time is that I had the weight at 2g which is not enough. Now I have 3.2g and it traces just fine. But the arm is a b14ch to get the azimuth right.

Here's the cable:

Beautiful ! But...3.2 grams...That can't be right...can you show more pictures, give more info ? That is a really low mass arm and depending on the Decca should be about 1.6gr VTF..talk to me...lol

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #2,815 of 5,380
Well, I tried the Decca b4 and used 2g then and it soundded horrible. I thought I made a mistake in the cable but it turns out it was mistracking. I never heard it that bad. So it kind of cought me off guard. Then I read the decca needed more than 3 grams. So I just set it and it works and tracks just fine. It is always better to have the F to high than to low. Because tracking errors damage the groove more than higher pressure.

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #2,816 of 5,380

Beautiful ! But...3.2 grams...That can't be right...can you show more pictures, give more info ? That is a really low mass arm and depending on the Decca should be about 1.6gr VTF..talk to me...lol

There can be "slight" discrepancies between rated and actual VTF, at which the cartridge actually performs as it should. That "slight" can be in reality veeeery steeeeeeeecthed - and Deccas can be like that. 1.6 gram VTF with Decca is asking for trouble - at least in most examples I have worked with, this proved to be to low VTF for anything like competent tracking ability.

Decca requires a well damped arm - silicone of one description or another. It has DIFFERENT compliances in the lateral and vertical direction - vertical is much more stiffer than horizontal one. Exact figures vary from sample to sample, not just among various models. It can sound GREAT in a light but well damped arm.

With Decca, you are pretty much stuck with the serial # you have - regardless of what the "official model" specs say. When its numerous idiosyncrasies are satisfied, it can sing like no other cartridge. But definitely not for the faint at heart, let alone a beginner.

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #2,817 of 5,380
it can sing like no other cartridge. But definitely not for the faint at heart, let alone a beginner.

I was aware of that and I knew what I was getting in to. But since I'm neither of those I saw it as a challenge. I saw one on Ebay in 'down under' for a modest price. And the arm 2ndH over here. I thought the arm would be pretty ideal. Moreover: I can easily change armwands! The Consonance arms are not that expensive. As you might know I know a lot about Chinese stuff. So I had to have this one. I like their tables too (and amps) but Opera/Consonance is (one of) China's top brand and never cheap.
The arm is light and somewhat flexible, has sand dampening in the wand and oil damping under the pivot. You can pour in anything you like in the cup. I just poored in normal bikechainoil. I'll go and see what else I can get sometime.

It is very much like the Well Tempered arm but the bearing consists of a small ring with ball-bearings on one ball. I think the ability to change wands easily is a cool feature.

Well Tempered (love that cart)

Consonance T988 (love that cart too, and best of all: got it. But I'm afraid to use it on this arm. It looks so delicate)

Getting back to a near perfect sub $1000 TT: I just saw the Consonance LP6.1 Turntable w/ T988 Oil Damping Tonearm (yes that one ^) for... $850 at Grant Fidelity (Alberta Canada). I'm not a fan (of GF) but that is a really nice price! Without the cart of course. That alone is more than the TT!
I think it's beautiful. To #311 with those bad ugly stupid SL1200's and zombie Denon DD's ...

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #2,818 of 5,380
Ooh, I want:
http://www.linn.co.uk/all-products/turntables/limited-edition-sondek-lp12#details

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #2,819 of 5,380
I will settle for just the bottle of Highland Park :regular_smile :. I don't want to pay for the rest. I lost count at 16.000 euro adding all the subparts of 1 TT. :eek: Nor do I want to go back to Linn. (boy am I glad my dealer advised me to buy a tubeamp instead of the LP12 as an upgrade). It's fast becoming the most unimaginative company in high end audio. I mean: the distinguishing feature is an oak plinth...:rolleyes: It sure looks 40y old, just like my grandparents furniture, also oak. :D

edit: found the price. On wikipedia off all places... no dealer dares mention the price I guess. "priced at £25,000" That's >$40,000 FYI.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #2,820 of 5,380
Too rich for me....I'll take the little engraved glass though....it's pretty cool. :)

I will settle for just the bottle of Highland Park :regular_smile :. I don't want to pay for the rest. I lost count at 16.000 euro adding all the subparts of 1 TT. :eek: Nor do I want to go back to Linn. (boy am I glad my dealer advised me to buy a tubeamp instead of the LP12 as an upgrade). It's fast becoming the most unimaginative company in high end audio. I mean: the distinguishing feature is an oak plinth...:rolleyes: It sure looks 40y old, just like my grandparents furniture, also oak. :D

edit: found the price. On wikipedia off all places... no dealer dares mention the price I guess. "priced at £25,000" That's >$40,000 FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back