Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Jun 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #661 of 5,377
Quote:
Can someone direct me to a thread regarding turntable setting or phono preamp matching question?  Thanks

Seemed like one was needed - so  I thought I would start a running thread to answer questions about turntable setup.  I hope other people will contribute, but I will monitor this thread as much as I can.  Fire away!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613136/turntable-setup-questions-thread-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-your-question-here

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #662 of 5,377
Great idea Rob, subscribed.

But for now:
http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/index.php?sid=953d202ad203c5f8cd2d8a2b33d8f8b0

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #663 of 5,377
Just got my Rega P1 in today :D Just got it set up and took some pictures!

Hoped to take some pictures to show the stylus position. I adjusted the weight as shown in the set-up guide, and set the bias adjustment slider to around 1.75 grams, since that appears to be the tracking force on the Ortofon OM5E cartridge. Did I do this right? So excited to relisten to my collection on the new table!! 
atsmile.gif

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #664 of 5,377
Jun 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #665 of 5,377
Quote:
Can someone direct me to a thread regarding turntable setting or phono preamp matching question?  Thanks

Cool to see a phono-set-up thread. The preamp choices can be daunting too. 

Lower output cartridges tend to have fewer windings on their coils, and/or possibly weaker magnets. In the case of a moving coil (MC) cartridge, fewer coils implies lower moving mass, which might lead to better detail.

I have only had high-out-put cartridges so when I was ready to get a phono-pre-amp asked around Head-Fi. Turns out that folks can actually describe verbally, some of the characteristics of a pre-amp. The maybe most important part is matching though. I truly feel every phono pre-amp has a different sound. 

In my rig I was looking for authority from my table. I wanted as much bass as I could get and maybe would even have sacrificed detail in the end. A new thread was made back in 08-09 asking for suggestions. I purchased what they recommended here. I didn't realize how good my phono pre was until I tried to better it. Everything I tried sounded like FM radio. 

In the end I truly wonder if there could even be a guide to phono-pre-amps? There will be legendary match-ups of two products that help each to shine. You also have how each products matches up to the amp and headphones, not to mention how each member here is looking for a particular sound signature in the end, with some looking for pure detail and some looking for euphoric color.

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #666 of 5,377
Quote:

Hoped to take some pictures to show the stylus position. I adjusted the weight as shown in the set-up guide, and set the bias adjustment slider to around 1.75 grams, since that appears to be the tracking force on the Ortofon OM5E cartridge. Did I do this right? So excited to relisten to my collection on the new table!! 
atsmile.gif

Congratulations - sharp looking table and nice photos too.

It's not really possible to judge correct stylus position from photos - did the stylus come pre-mounted? If 1.75 g is the tracking force recommended by Ortofon then that should be fine. You may want to consider buying a stylus gauge as I found using the dial on my Rega alone to not be very accurate. From my limited experimentation I found the anti-skate to not make a lot of difference, unless set in extreme positions.

Jun 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #667 of 5,377
Jun 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #668 of 5,377
Quote:

atsmile.gif

Is that a stock platter? looks pretty thick. congrats on your purchase!

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #669 of 5,377
Stock mdf platter! :) It didn't even look like mdf honestly. So slick. Ordered it off audiogon from someone there and it's like new. Thinking of getting a different mat for the platter though instead of the felt one that came with it. Any suggestions?

Edit: can't begin to describe how much better the stock Ortofon cartridge is on this thing than the awful awful p-mount AT cartridge on the Technics table I was using previously. That thing must have been shredding the grooves. The ortofon glides so smoothly in the grooves that there is hardly any hiss or pop in the playback at all. Very very pleased with my purchase!

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #670 of 5,377
Quote:
Stock mdf platter!
smily_headphones1.gif
It didn't even look like mdf honestly. So slick. Ordered it off audiogon from someone there and it's like new. Thinking of getting a different mat for the platter though instead of the felt one that came with it. Any suggestions?

I'm using Herbie's Way Excellent mat with good results. Best part is that it doesn't stick to the vinyl when changing records. YMMV.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #671 of 5,377
I wouldn't wan't to deprive you ppl from some pretty pictures, so here's my new rig

It's a 2ndH Clearaudio Performance with a Kiseki Blue (rev vdHul needle)
The KIseki came free with my previous TT; Pro-ject Perspective. That has a Dynavector Karat D17MKII
The Dynavector is the better cart, dynamics and tracking, but the Kiseki just sounds beautifull icw the Clearaudio.

Jun 14, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #673 of 5,377
beautiful in an almost Steampunk sort of way.

I poked around today and found out my dad has a Yamaha TT-230, worth getting a new stylus? or just scrap it for a Project Debut carbon

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #674 of 5,377
Quote:
I Love How Clean This Vinyl Is It Is Wonderfull :)

I'm just meticulous about handling my records. Something I learned in the old days. Never touch the vinyl, only the side and the label.
I don't even have a recordcleaner (yet). You can always tell which ones are my own and the ones I bought 2ndH.

FYI: the record is a 180g pressing on quiex vinyl of Peter Gabriel - Up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back