Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
May 27, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #631 of 5,380
Yipes, Grokit, was that TT ever used with the wrong headshell like that?

The good news is that the proper kind of headshell is even easier to get than the wrong one that is in the picture.

May 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #632 of 5,380
Yipes, Grokit, was that TT ever used with the wrong headshell like that?

The good news is that the proper kind of headshell is even easier to get than the wrong one that is in the picture.

Nope, I just switched out the cart/headshell without thinking and that was the result, whoops! Pictured below is the one that came with it with my cart mounted, it's straight but much thinner so now the end of the screws protrude a little more, shown in the second picture below. It will probably be okay but it makes me uncomfortable. The only set of screws that I have that aren't the same length are way too short. So rather than grinding the end off the screws or fashioning/obtaining a shim, I have ordered a new stock headshell which is a bit thicker like the Denon, and comes with new cart wires which are needed as well, another $20.

This brings the total to around $520, with a new stock mat and a replacement auxiliary tonearm weight the grand total is now around $560.

But what about those "high-performance" mats, any opinion on those?

May 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #633 of 5,380
May 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #634 of 5,380
Sorry grokit, I have no experience with mats.  All my tables have been mat free.  

Find some washers for those screws though, so you don't turn the screw head against the paint on the arm.

May 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #635 of 5,380
Find some washers for those screws though, so you don't turn the screw head against the paint on the arm.

Thanks, the headshell that came with it has recesses for the screwheads, as does the stock one that I ordered (below). So it would require very small washers that are no bigger than the screwheads, might be hard to source. Plus I'm pretty sure that the Technique headshells are anodized, not painted. I think that the Denon headshell is anodized as well but I'm not sure. There is also an official Techniques 4g weight/shim that was $6, and I will play with it in conjunction with the auxiliary counterweight as I have read reports that this particular cart/TT/tonearm setup benefits from the extra weight/counterweight.

May 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #636 of 5,380
Cool.  I still suggest you do what you can to find washers, be it anodizing or paint or whatever.  Still going to scrape up the point of contact with the screw head.

You should eventually find washers that will fit.  As an aside, I tinker with small electric motors for RC crawlers.  I have so many washers of different sizes I could restock Home Depot easily.  I know they're out there.

May 27, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #637 of 5,380
Any of you have any experience with the Acoustic Research XA turntable? I asked about it last page but wasn't sure if anyone had seen it. Just had the base rebuilt and has a Shure cartridge on it. Guy is asking 200 but dunno if that's overpriced or not 
confused_face.gif
 Any help greatly appreciated!
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #638 of 5,380
No personal experience, but I felt compelled to share this link: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/358797/better-turntable-deal-ar-xa-200-or-technics-sl-1200mk5-250-both-in-great-cond

May 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #639 of 5,380
Yeah I have never messed with aftermarket mats either. My VPI doesn't use a mat of any sort, and my Denon and Pioneer TT's have custom mats that really need to be used as supplied.

May 27, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #640 of 5,380
I decided to get another stock rubber mat to continue the spirit of stock restoration:

"Rubber mat from Technics. The old 1200MK2's used to come with these, though they are impractical for DJing (as opposed to a slipmat), they are good for archiving/sampling or vinyl listening purposes as they dampen vibrations"

But I will also try the Reso-mat, just to see if it sounds any different than the rubber mat:
"I have to say this mat represents a good time spent in R & D with different cone materials. Wood was rejected, for instance, as the bass disappeared! Softer materials such as rubber & cork were also rejected because the damping they caused resulted in a loss of detail. The polyvinyl used for the Reso-Mat cones is similar to the vinyl the record is made from & gave the best results."

Both put together are still well less than the Achromat, the "World's top selling mat". Probably the one to get :rolleyes:

May 27, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #641 of 5,380
I got this inexpensive mat for my turntable and it works very well. I use this on top of the stock thick rubber technics mat. http://www.sleevetown.com/turntable-accessories.shtml

It's the last one at the bottom of the page.

May 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #642 of 5,380
Here's my entry to the vinyl world. My first ever turntable. 
biggrin.gif
 I'm pretty excited. The last time I listen to a vinyl record (excluding the session in the audio store) I was 12 years old and I was listening to Elvis Presley.

May 27, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #643 of 5,380
I got this inexpensive mat for my turntable and it works very well. I use this on top of the stock thick rubber technics mat. http://www.sleevetown.com/turntable-accessories.shtml

It's the last one at the bottom of the page.

Thanks, that looks interesting but I have to be able to replace the stock rubber mat with one specially sized for the SL1200 because of the lip on the platter. All I can find like that are the mats I pictured, the stock/knockoff rubber mats, and a cork mat.

May 27, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #644 of 5,380
Quote:
biggrin.gif
 I'm pretty excited. The last time I listen to a vinyl record (excluding the session in the audio store) I was 12 years old and I was listening to Elvis Presley.

Hey Man that's sharp! Happy spinning and watch that stylist, ALWAYS!  My buddy just snapped off his cantilever on his ZYX......It happens to even the veterans of this love of ours.....

May 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #645 of 5,380
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Ooooh wow that's pretty. I don't think I wanna know how much that probably cost either :p Enjoy it man! Vinyl is great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back