Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
May 24, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #601 of 5,378
The issue is a grounding issue for sure. For sure the groud wire from the TT has to be attached firmly to the phono preamp. But the phono preamp also needs to be be plugged into a grounded outlet, with no "cheater" plugs.

May 24, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #602 of 5,378
It's all connected to a power strip (I think I can assume it's a surge protector as it has a red "PROTECT" light on it)..is that bad? And where would I connect the ground wire? There's not really a specified place, but there's screws holding the casing on. Wrap it around one of those maybe?
Quote:
The issue is a grounding issue for sure. For sure the groud wire from the TT has to be attached firmly to the phono preamp. But the phono preamp also needs to be be plugged into a grounded outlet, with no "cheater" plugs.

May 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #603 of 5,378
There should be a clearly marked Phono Ground on your receiver/preamp. If there isn't a place to properly ground it then it's not designed for using a TT. You would then need an external phono preamp.

Quote:
It's all connected to a power strip (I think I can assume it's a surge protector as it has a red "PROTECT" light on it)..is that bad? And where would I connect the ground wire? There's not really a specified place, but there's screws holding the casing on. Wrap it around one of those maybe?

May 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #604 of 5,378
Well, in looking, the NAD PP-1 seems to lack a grounding post. I cannot believe it, and shame on NAD. The PP2 does have one, so I guess they figured out that's a bad idea.

You HAVE to ground the TT somewhere. But in the system you describe, I'm not really sure where you can attach the ground wire.

What sort of power strip do you have?

May 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #605 of 5,378
It's also known to suffer RF issues, moving it around may help:
http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Phono-Preamp/NAD/PP-1/vinyl/11744.html

Could he ground the TT to one of the PP-1's chassis screws?

edit: nvm, saw the wall wart.

May 24, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #606 of 5,378
AHA! I wrapped it around a screw on my headphone amp and touching it to it made it fizz, pop etc. bgut then once it was firmly attached the hum was just gone. Great! As long as the tape stays on there and I don't mess with it, it oughta be alright I suppose.

My little fix:

And the entire rig:

Dual CS-5000 Turntable>NAD Phono Stage PP-1>Audio-gd Compass in Super mode (amp only, bypassing internal DAC) by RCA>Sennheiser HD650s with stock cable>Me :)

and for digital: My Computer by USB>PS Audio DLIII DAC>Audio-gd Compass in Super mode (amp only, bypassing internal DAC) by cheap RCA cable>Senn 650s>Me :)

May 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #607 of 5,378
Use the screw to clamp the wire down, then you won't need the tape.

May 24, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #608 of 5,378
Quote:
No, just hanging on the shelf right now, the wire is bent around a small bit on there. I touched it to the PP-1 but nothing happened.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I can still hear the hum when the turntable is off (the PP-1 is always on as long as it's plugged in, it hasn't even gotten warm being on for months straight so I don't worry about it), but it's a bit higher in pitch, and it gets lower when the turntable is on, and touching/squeezing the ground wire like before still has an effect on or off (turntable).

Hmm...I just tried unplugging the turntable and the hum was much quieter, and touching the ground wire actually made it louder (with turntable unplugged). Weird

Is there a hum when you touch the ground wire to the sleeve of a L/R rca cable plugged into your phono pre-amp?

I just tried it with my phono pre-amp and it has the same effect as when I connect the ground wire coming from my turntable to the ground screw on the pre-amp. Obviously, seeing as though the RCA sleeve and ground screw share the same ground.

May 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #609 of 5,378
Quote:
Use the screw to clamp the wire down, then you won't need the tape.

Eh, it's a hexagonal screw, and I don't feel like messing with it right now, but I will eventually, when it comes undone. Thanks! Maybe I could try it on one of the screws on the PP-1...
By the way, how good is the PP-1 in general? I got it used for I think like $75 at a record/hifi store. Good deal or no? I need to upgrade carts and stages anyway eventually.

May 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #610 of 5,378
Also, the needle was hovering above the record, turned off. My friend went tapping it subconsciously and it was hitting the record. Is it likely that he damaged the tip? It looks a bit dull to my naked eye but it seems like every time that happens it's really fine, so...

May 24, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #611 of 5,378
Was looking for some upgrades to my turntable that I can do for reasonably cheap. I really quite like the turntable I have at this price point, but would like to maximize the sound out of it. Will replacing the cartridge with this one from Shure work?: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006I5SB/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=13648ZFV679XEFF5B8RT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Would it even fit my SL-BD22? I'm currently using an AT92E cartridge. Any help appreciated thanks! 
redface.gif

May 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #612 of 5,378
Was looking for some upgrades to my turntable that I can do for reasonably cheap. I really quite like the turntable I have at this price point, but would like to maximize the sound out of it. Will replacing the cartridge with this one from Shure work?: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006I5SB/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=13648ZFV679XEFF5B8RT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
ir

Would it even fit my SL-BD22? I'm currently using an AT92E cartridge. Any help appreciated thanks! :xf_eek:

No, that cartridge won't fit. You need to look at "P-Mount" cartridges.

May 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #613 of 5,378
If this is what your headshell looks like, I really doubt it.

May 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #614 of 5,378
Yeah sorry me again, now that the previous convo has died.
what do you guys recommend?
Full house (tone arm, cartridge and turntable)
in these 3 price brackets:
  1. $350~400
  2. $500~600
  3. $1000

Like I said this is for my dad. Im looking for not the value buy, but the GOOD buy, sort of like The denon D2000 (you would need to spent a lot more to match it.)

more then one option is welcomed.

May 25, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #615 of 5,378
This is what I'm bringing to Chiunifi: a Technics SL1200-MK5. Good luck getting one now since Technics killed their turntable production line. RIP SL1200s. You gave us so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back