Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Feb 5, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #3,856 of 5,378
Feeding an addiction is not a good cause. :p

Well, unless...
I mean, the addiction is already there. The plan is to publish awareness (ok, it's not exactly what you were referring to but it's remarkably close) against 'the addiction' 100-fold. So, not really sacrificing 1 to possibly save a 100 is pretty good odds in my perspective.
I love music and I like collecting music of all sorts but I can enjoy the silence all day long.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #3,857 of 5,378
There really needs to be more giveaways of decent turntables. This one just doesn't seem worth the hassle. 
tongue_smile.gif

Just noticed it's a Crosley too.

I  wonder if those Xray records get scratched up as easily as vinyl. Is there nothing better to make records out of that wouldn't be so delicate yet still be cheap and light enough to be doable and not too hard on the stylus?

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #3,858 of 5,378
There really needs to be more giveaways of decent turntables. This one just doesn't seem worth the hassle. :tongue_smile:

Just noticed it's a Crosley too.

I  wonder if those Xray records get scratched up as easily as vinyl. Is there nothing better to make records out of that wouldn't be so delicate yet still be cheap and light enough to be doable and not too hard on the stylus?

If you were playing records at 9 years old......

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #3,859 of 5,378
Country Living magazine is giving it away. To win you have to tell them the page number that has a horse shoe and what is the first record you would play on it and why. Is it just me or isn't the usual reason you want to listen to music because you like it? They want a cute story Im sure but the ones they get will probably be fake. I think I would rather have that Barbie one actually for all that trouble.

I like my simple used JVC even if auto repeats when it shouldn't, but I'd like a chance to win something better than that crap. The Project and McIntosh giveaways seem to have dried up or Im no googling right. Sorry, just wanted to rant.

I did see one of these not long ago and thought it would be cool just to collect.

...I couldn't even find a copy of Country Living in the local supermarkets. 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #3,860 of 5,378
Country Living magazine is giving it away. To win you have to tell them the page number that has a horse shoe and what is the first record you would play on it and why.

Yes, they want someone to remember they still have the records from being a teenager, but no turntable. They want a story about how a certain song has a meaning for them and a connection to a time and place.

That is part of why everyone is here. Obviously folks are here for a lot of reasons but I believe it was mainly an emotional connection they had that they are still chasing to some extent.

Seriously, how close can you get to music by listening? The closeness comes from living a moment where the music is just an integral part.

Sadly it is not something you can get to by just putting a record on. Still if someone has some old vinyl laying around, they become faint stapshots which remind them of another time and place.

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #3,861 of 5,378

I can get close enough.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #3,863 of 5,378
When I first saw it, I could have swore I had one as a child too but I had the one that played the fake records and sound like a music box.

Yeah I listen to some music that takes me back to a certain time period but not an exact moment that would make a prize worthy story.

Sorry, no more late night posting for me. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #3,864 of 5,378
Yes, I had one and I could spend hours playing records. They were regular records but ten inch and different colors. You could change the needle by putting in a different straight pin.lol.

That and the microscope were my favorite things. Funny I would grow up to take microscopic photographs and collect records?

To our young and inexperienced ears they sounded perfect!

For me the 1970s were total fun. I just remember parties where we had certain records which were really important. My parents had a huge record collection and I spent a whole summer listening to them. My Stepmother was only ten years older so she had all of The Moody Blues, Rod Stewart, The Beatles and even Led Zeppelin. Big Advent speakers and no one home so I could turn it up as loud as I wanted. Like most 13 year olds I played Elton John records the most.

Feb 7, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #3,865 of 5,378
Hello! Just had to share my story from todays experience.
I allways had my lcd3 and some turntables (dads) but not a very good phono amp so the sound have been flat and unlistenable.
Went to a hifi store in Gothenburg today and got my hands on a new phono amp! Damn this thing turned everything around so now I can enjoy all my records. This thing runs both mm and mc so it turns out dad had an old Audio-Technica at f5/occ MC cartridge. Put this on and now i'm in vinyl heaven :)
So now i'm running a Luxman DD turntable, Audio-Technica at f5/occ MC cartridge, with Vincent pho-8 phono amp into a diy clone of Lehmann bcl (also dads creation lol) into my LCD-3.
Great stuff!

Feb 7, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #3,866 of 5,378
  Hello! Just had to share my story from todays experience.
I allways had my lcd3 and some turntables (dads) but not a very good phono amp so the sound have been flat and unlistenable.
Went to a hifi store in Gothenburg today and got my hands on a new phono amp! Damn this thing turned everything around so now I can enjoy all my records. This thing runs both mm and mc so it turns out dad had an old Audio-Technica at f5/occ MC cartridge. Put this on and now i'm in vinyl heaven :)
So now i'm running a Luxman DD turntable, Audio-Technica at f5/occ MC cartridge, with Vincent pho-8 phono amp into a diy clone of Lehmann bcl (also dads creation lol) into my LCD-3.
Great stuff!

Dayam!  ROCK ON!  (Beauty shots)  

Your thrift stores are a lot different than our thrift stores.

Feb 7, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #3,867 of 5,378

Dayam!  ROCK ON!  (Beauty shots)  

Your thrift stores are a lot different than our thrift stores.

Rock all night!!
Cheers, and how come? :)

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #3,868 of 5,378

Because I've never seen a phono preamp, good or bad, in any thrift store in the US.

Maybe your definition of a thrift store (Sweden) is different than mine (USA).

Anyway, I envy you.

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #3,870 of 5,378
Because I've never seen a phono preamp, good or bad, in any thrift store in the US.

Maybe your definition of a thrift store (Sweden) is different than mine (USA).

Anyway, I envy you.

Sorry for my english, since I never heard thrift store, looked it up and found it had something to do with clothes lol.

Oh well it's a really nice store, the owner got tons of tube amps, high end TT, high end speakers etc etc.

All I see is "hifi store". :wink_face:  You confused me too so I had to re-read it.

Looks nice.

Haha I thought hifi store would be a common thing to say lol, sorry bout that.
Cheers and it performs quite well, making you wonder how more expensive ones perform!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back