Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Jan 16, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #3,826 of 5,378
Hi,
 I wish I could answer the comparison question.  This is the first time I've listened to the Carnegie and have never mounted the ET-2.  Maybe some day in the future.

I've allowed 15cm for the cover height, but it will be free standing, outside the dimensions of the TT so I can put a shim under it if I need more height.

Thanks for the input!

Dialing the cartridge at the moment.  Takes a long time to get it right!

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #3,827 of 5,378
  Hi,
 I wish I could answer the comparison question.  This is the first time I've listened to the Carnegie and have never mounted the ET-2.  Maybe some day in the future.

I've allowed 15cm for the cover height, but it will be free standing, outside the dimensions of the TT so I can put a shim under it if I need more height.

Thanks for the input!

Dialing the cartridge at the moment.  Takes a long time to get it right!

Take your time with the C1 - do not rush it. 30 years on, it is still unsurpassed in some aspects. 

If I ever decide to DIY my own arm wands for the ET2 ( these have gone up in price - not exhorbitantely so, but still... - if you need say 10 pcs...) , one of the permanently mounted carts  will be Empire MC 1-8  (- aka Carnegie One - aka Sony XL MC 9 ). Boy, do I miss it sometimes - but after you all will see to which degree 
any of the cartridges I use gets adjusted/honed, it will be clear why MC 1-8 sits in the storage.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #3,830 of 5,378
Sorry! Goldmund Studio from ca 1983. the most complex tonearm I ever saw and it is still working with electronic lifting on the run-out groove. Great example of how to make something simple very complicated.

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #3,831 of 5,378
Sorry! Goldmund Studio from ca 1983. the most complex tonearm I ever saw and it is still working with electronic lifting on the run-out groove. Great example of how to make something simple very complicated.

Hehe, in part of my country adjacent to Italy people call things like this "same pasta" - ALL of the above were/are designed by Pierre Lurne. OK, not the simplest of designs - but definitely worth fixing the hum problem. It is a quality table and was a truckload of money back then... - it is a direct drive built in boutique numbers, acryl platter etc.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/goldmund/studio.shtml

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #3,833 of 5,378

Seems like this is a good idea?

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #3,835 of 5,378
Wouldn't the strong electro-magnetic field cause interference of the electro-acoustic signal in conductors ?

Well, they are just magnets and we already have magnets in the motor and needle? Right?

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #3,837 of 5,378
  But the magnets has to be strong enough to push 20-30 pounds of mass. Different cases.

Yes, the strength of the field required to levitate a substantial mass would be scales of magnitude bigger compared to the strength of the field generated by a motor. The E-M field of the stylus is very small and on the top of it its fluctuations are actually the manifestation of the electro-acoustic 'audio' signal going to speakers or to headphones.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #3,838 of 5,378
Yes, the strength of the field required to levitate a substantial mass would be scales of magnitude bigger compared to the strength of the field generated by a motor. The E-M field of the stylus is very small and on the top of it its fluctuations are actually the manifestation of the electro-acoustic 'audio' signal going to speakers or to headphones.

Considering all the crazy stuff to reduce vibration and feedback this toy goes right with the other toys. Guess you just have to try it and turn the volume up with no music and listen, then play music and listen. Then tap on different stuff like the floor and table and listen.

it has to be better than attaching a shelf to your room wall. Still folks using giant slabs of rock or suspending stuff with string works good too. I am of the club that believes all this esoteric audio stuff. Every little thing can create an improvement at times.

Still everything needs to be relevant. I would not put a $1000 base for a $400 turntable. I think they show a picture like that? Lol.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #3,839 of 5,378
I feel like something more simple like rubber or a gel like filled layer would work, but Im not an engineer. Plus it wouldn't look nearly as cool anyways.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #3,840 of 5,378
If you're a sucker for expensive isolation equipment, to get another .01% of detail (fictional figure of course:)) Townsend audio have been making these for years.

http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi-home-cinema-equipment-vibration-isolation/hi-fi-home-cinema-equipment-vibration-isolation-platform/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back