Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Jan 6, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #3,796 of 5,383
Totally agree...put a decent cartridge on that bad boy and one is in business. I am really glad to see a new, affordable DD back on the market.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #3,797 of 5,383
Now I know that pairing a $ 399 ( in some sources  $599 ...) TT ( the new Onkyo DD ) with a $ 8500 DS Audio optical cart/preamp is not *exactly* the most usual combination - but it IS questionable if this hypothetical $9000 budget can be better spent:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/optical-cartridge-designer-inteviewed-analogplanetcom

Add a decent clamping system and - more or less - call it a day ... (provided the new Onkyo does not stink to high heaven to begin with).

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #3,798 of 5,383
Now that new Onkyo Direct Drive Turntable really looks the part. And it is different. Different from it's modern belt-drive competitors and from the DD's of old. But how it performs? That has to be determined still by (a few) decent reviews and comparisons. My guess (spoiler: don't read if you are allergic to opinions) is that the platter and arm could be holding it back.

BTW, the price in the UK (and presumably Europe) is a lot higher with 400GBP (that's $600). Why is a product from Japan (China) 1.5 times more expensive? That's not just VAT (taxes) nor is it freight.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #3,799 of 5,383
Don't quote me on this but I would wager that the Onkyo table is made in the same Hanpin factory as the Audio Technica's, Stantons, etc. It looks nice though, that's for sure. At least it's not another Technics clone.

It seems Monoprice is entering the fray as well with their own 130$ DD turntable that looks very similar to the AT.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/ProductPrint?c_id=115&cp_id=11506&cs_id=1150605&p_id=614450

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #3,800 of 5,383
Now that new Onkyo Direct Drive Turntable really looks the part. And it is different. Different from it's modern belt-drive competitors and from the DD's of old. But how it performs? That has to be determined still by (a few) decent reviews and comparisons. My guess (spoiler: don't read if you are allergic to opinions) is that the platter and arm could be holding it back.

BTW, the price in the UK (and presumably Europe) is a lot higher with 400GBP (that's $600). Why is a product from Japan (China) 1.5 times more expensive? That's not just VAT (taxes) nor is it freight.

I hope reviews and comparisons to be out ASAP - reasonable in 2-3 months. As Onkyo is available globally, that means at least reviews from Germany, UK and US (alphabetical order ). 

I assume platter to be a cast alu/zinc alloy or similar - of about the same "trouble" as Thorens, Linn, etc. With an important twist - it has nice straight outer circumference without funny/fancy shape(s) and is not cramped
rolleyes.gif
within the turntable as say SL-1200 - or old Onkyo models. More about this at a later stage.

Arm is "nothing special". And can not be expected at anything the price. Rega with its cast tube arm made everything else obsolete/uncompetitive decades ago - after its appearance, most of the tonearm manufacturers offering mid price models simply ceased to exist, with few notable exceptions like Jelco. Rega in its various incarnations is used to keep the price of the whole TT package reasonable - in MANY TTs that alone dwarf the cost of the new Onkyo. Be it as it may, Onkyo arm does allow for azimuth adjustment - and most likely - for the VTA. And in this it is better than Rega - so only a test and comparison could give an honest verdict. It is the same old resonance control vs fine adjustment capability dilemma - which can be eliminated, but at much higher prices.

I am bothered too by this trend in pricing of Chinese made products in the USA and EU. Take iFi Audio - same price, but in USA in $ and in Europe in EUR  - and they are no way alone in doing so.

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #3,801 of 5,383
  Don't quote me on this but I would wager that the Onkyo table is made in the same Hanpin factory as the Audio Technica's, Stantons, etc. It looks nice though, that's for sure. At least it's not another Technics clone.

It seems Monoprice is entering the fray as well with their own 130$ DD turntable that looks very similar to the AT.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/ProductPrint?c_id=115&cp_id=11506&cs_id=1150605&p_id=614450

I do not consider current AT TT to be a serious machine - and if Monoprice is same/similar, that goes for it too.
But the $130 price should make ANY consideration of Crosley & similar atrocities obsolete - for good. Although
AT/Monoprice TTs are not "serious", at least they do not destroy the records in a single - or few - plays. In view of this, Monoprice is most welcome.  

IF you are asking WHY I do not consider current AT TTs serious - please look how did the AT tonearms look back in the day. True, costly high end - but still very much in demand on the used market to this very day. I can not see anything of the sort happening in the future with the current made to a price point AT TTs.

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #3,807 of 5,383
An update on the TT status.  Pictures to follow!

The replacement for the Apollo is an EAT Forte with Morch DP-8 arm and Madrigal Carnegie One cartridge.

I feel like the picture of the dog with the big smile.  Simply magnificent sound.  Makes me want to play records all day long.

I'll post some pictures very soon.

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #3,809 of 5,383
It looks like asking for trouble. Top heavy. Murphy's Law...
Or not telling the $5/h cleaning lady to stay away from your turntable with Lyra or Clearaudio Goldfinger cart.

I was looking for an illustrative photo, but couldn't really find one (to ashamed to post?) but the story I found is illustration enough (maybe even better):
Q: Our cleaning lady accidentally broke my cantilever on my Lyra Argo cart. with her rag while dusting the area around it. The cantilever is totally broken off. Could I have this retip, if so, who can do it?

A: This isn't the first, and I'm sure not the last time we will hear about a cleaning lady wrecking havoc with a phono cartridge cantilever. That was an expensive error. I would take it up with the company that provides the service. You need to be compensated for the loss.

Q: Just found out that the cleaning lady does not belong to any agency. She's just an old Mexican lady that works on her own. She was just recommended by my wife's friend. I know she doesn't have much and definitely can't afford the pay for the damage. Oh well! But really, home insurance? I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Q: I normally don't let the cleaning lady clean the entire audio/HT room as I do that myself. It was my wife who let her dust around the TT area while I was out for a couple of hours not to mention I don't have a dust cover for my TT and/or protective cover for my stylus which I should and will.

A: What I have learned, fortunately not first-hand:
If the cleaning lady has access to the hifi room, and you're not hovering over them for the duration of each session, then this tragedy will eventually occur. Prior communications, agreements, and warnings are all inconsequential.

A2: That's it! She'll have to go!

Q: The maid, the wife, or both?

Cats, toddlers and cleaning ladies can be trained, fate cannot. And Murphy's law has no sense of humour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back