Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Oct 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #2,461 of 5,385
I think that's just fine.

Listening to two Brahms Requiems in a row would not be my idea of a good time.

Having sung the baritone solo with symphony orchestra (graduate school) and also in the chorus with Eschenbach and the Houston Symphony, I can say that I never reach for it when there is a Durufle or Faure within grabbing distance.  

If I want to beat myself up about death, I'm not going Verdi or Brahms.

Can't use them as recording or musical tests.  There's lots more to be friends with than those fear mongering downers.

YMMV.
smile.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #2,462 of 5,385
Really, I like the Brahms well enough. Really one of the better requiems from the "B" group IMO. Berlioz is wonderful, of course, but Bruckner is like like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Ive never listened to Faure's Requiem - I'll correct that this weekend.
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #2,463 of 5,385
  I think that's just fine.

Listening to two Brahms Requiems in a row would not be my idea of a good time.

Having sung the baritone solo with symphony orchestra (graduate school) and also in the chorus with Eschenbach and the Houston Symphony, I can say that I never reach for it when there is a Durufle or Faure within grabbing distance.  

If I want to beat myself up about death, I'm not going Verdi or Brahms.

Can't use them as recording or musical tests.  There's lots more to be friends with than those fear mongering downers.

YMMV.
smile.gif

I decided to get that "cube" because it is compsed of "complimentary" works poorly represented or totally lacking in my collection. Of all the LPs, there is only one doubling of what I already owned. And I too prefer Durufle or Faure. 

To lighten up the mood a bit, hereby I assign #3 from the cube to :

An anecdote regarding Horowitz; it happened I was playing "Horowitz in Moscow" LP for the adults while children were playing outside during one birthday party. All of a sudden in came a boy approx 10 year old at the time, whom I have heard playing piano (quite well indeed) before. He was amazed: "... that uncle shure knows how to play the piano!"

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #2,464 of 5,385
  Really, I like the Brahms well enough. Really one of the better requiems from the "B" group IMO. Berlioz is wonderful, of course, but Bruckner is like like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Ive never listened to Faure's Requiem - I'll correct that this weekend.
biggrin.gif

Berlioz Requiem with Colin Davis on Philips was the snowball at the top of the hill that eventually lead to The Cube.

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #2,465 of 5,385
Sang the Berlioz with Shaw and later, when he was too sick at the end but scheduled, some English guy who wasn't very good.  It's a great work and not the downer it can be.

I wish I had more pics to post.  I miss pcis on this thread.

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #2,466 of 5,385

Berlioz Requiem with Colin Davis on Philips was the snowball at the top of the hill that eventually lead to The Cube.

Sang the Berlioz with Shaw and later, when he was too sick at the end but scheduled, some English guy who wasn't very good.  It's a great work and not the downer it can be.

I wish I had more pics to post.  I miss pcis on this thread.

I have only heard one recording of Berlioz Requiem - that is my Munch/Boston RCA Living Stereo SACD. I think you have both inspired me to try at least a couple more.

bbop - your music background sounds fascinating. You've only mentioned the tip of an iceberg I suspect but it's quite an iceberg indeed!

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #2,470 of 5,385
@ Palmfish:

A treasure for sure.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #2,471 of 5,385

That's a past incarnation if mikel's system. He's a regular on my home forum, where, frankly, many if not most of the systems are like this.

No pics?

This is supposed to be a pic thread.  I can only post so many shots of me humble RP6 before people start hating me.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #2,472 of 5,385
wink.gif
 Nope. Just give us different compositions, bbophead. I'll light up the thread when I put the band back together by Halloween.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #2,474 of 5,385

Lacquers being cut from 1/2" tape at Welcome to 1979. Thought you guys might find this interesting.

I would.  Is there a link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back