Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Oct 8, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #2,477 of 5,385

Lacquers being cut from 1/2" tape at Welcome to 1979. Thought you guys might find this interesting.

Which lathe and which cutterhead (looks like one of the Neumann's) , powered by which electronics, is in the picture ? 

The closest I got to a mastering facility so far was when in early/mid 80s then RTV Slovenija acquired brand new Neumann VMS80 system - but never actually installed it and after laying dormant for a year or two it was in wake of CD crushing anything in its path sadly decided to sell it off.

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #2,478 of 5,385
Picked up my Rega RP40 today from SoundStageDirect. (Big thanks to Seth and Jay -- both were awesome). I upgraded from a Music Hall MMF 2.1 and the change is significant. Obligatory pictures:

Sunny Day Real Estate - Pillars 7"

M. Ward - Transfiguration of Vincent

Arcade Fire - Funeral

TT-PSU w/ Musical Fidelity V90-LPS and V-PSU II

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #2,479 of 5,385
@ IndieGradoFan

yes.gif

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #2,482 of 5,385
Real nice pics!  Congratulations.

That clean, uncomplicated look is so appealing.

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #2,483 of 5,385
I was in the 2ndH store today and I saw an album called 'The Lost World - Jurassic Park'. Huh? Strange layout for an album soundtrack that says: 'widescreen edition' on top. :confused:
The title was sort of profetic then. When I took the disc out it turned out to be a couple of laserdiscs. An analog optical disc. And probably the best preserved original copy (better than the filmtapes). I once had a boxset of the Star Wars OT on VHS that looked really bad. Then I found an online copy off Laserdisc that looked way better.

I didn't take although it was only €1 because I can't play it in any way. But the title was pretty appropriate. :D

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #2,484 of 5,385
I would have found someone to bust it over to DVD.

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #2,485 of 5,385
I work in a record store, and we get people buying laserdiscs all the time thinking they're LP soundtracks ("Hey, I've never seen a record like this before..."). I've been intrigued by the format, never used it but some people swear by it. I might look around for a player, since we sell the discs for between 50 cents and $2.

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #2,486 of 5,385
About a year ago I had the chance to buy a Pioneer Laserdisc player and a collection of 120 discs for a very small amount of money. I was mostly interested in it just for the original Star Wars Trilogy. Ultimately, I decided to pass. Unless there's a movie you absolutely must own and it's unavailable on DVD, Laserdiscs are a waste of money.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #2,487 of 5,385
About a year ago I had the chance to buy a Pioneer Laserdisc player and a collection of 120 discs for a very small amount of money. I was mostly interested in it just for the original Star Wars Trilogy. Ultimately, I decided to pass. Unless there's a movie you absolutely must own and it's unavailable on DVD, Laserdiscs are a waste of money.

IIRC isn't laserdisc the best format for the original untouched Star Wars trilogy? Aren't the other formats the 'new' cuts?

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #2,488 of 5,385

IIRC isn't laserdisc the best format for the original untouched Star Wars trilogy? Aren't the other formats the 'new' cuts?

I have those discs! and the player....Pioneer CLD-99...

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #2,489 of 5,385

For a while they were.

In 2006 Lucasfilm released the "Widescreen Limited Edition" of the trilogy on DVD and in the bonus material (Disc 2) included the unrestored original theatrical version.

Its debateable whether the DVD is "better" than the LD (Ive never seen the LD) but it is certainly at least equal to it. Personally, i find it hard to watch because the colors are so washed out and the sound is dreadful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back