Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Jun 12, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #1,878 of 5,379
Quote:
Thanks for the update.  Must sound amazing.  So, the Clearaudio Maestro Wood is an MM?  Wow!  (and I don't mean that technically
smile.gif
)

I was sorta kidding about the Oracle which is kind of a beast to get right no matter what arm is attached.

What kind of money are we talking here and, what does the total system consist of?  Inquiring minds?

I would love to see the finished product in sitsu.

It must be very gratifying to work at this level and then get the really excellent results.

No problem. It does. it is a DAMN GOOD MM.

I agree on comment about Oracle. Stabi S is perhaps the ultimate in the opposite direction.

I will limit myself here on the pricing of Cantus. At the moment, it is vague - kindly put. Why? After Mr. Bo Hansson passed away in 2011, production of its original manufacturer, Rauna of Sweden, ceased and remaining stocks were/are being sold (out?). Roughly speaking about thousand dollars. Back in the "current" days, it was less expensive still. The supply of Rauna made arms is dwindling fast and it is who gets there first, to whom the girl. Most likely still available from distributors around the globe, like Australia and US. Laws of supply and demand... Current production arm is slightly improved - but the pricing "improved" considerably indeed. Considering the performance ultimately achievable, I do not find it out of the line - but it IS steep. In this case, Google is your (not so good) friend - if you happen to know somebody who knows somebody capable of speaking Swedish who is also at least aware what turntable is will produce much better results. Time to perhaps dust off some ties from "your former life" with some flicka ?

Cantus is not a "finished product" - it is a kit. In the most positive meaning of the word imaginable. You have to glue its glass tube into the arm base - something my friend took care of prior me ever getting close to it. Originally intended/instructed for its base to be GLUED to the turntable. For Stabi S,  a custom "interface part" was machined and anodized to match with the overall design - no glueing required.

I will take/post the pics of the entire system - if the owner agrees to that, next time I visit him and finally get to audition the thing properly after burn in.

Yes, it was really gratiffying to get such excellent results - specially considering the relatively modest cost of this TT ( if you disregard Kuzma arm/Benz cart). There are tons of other equipment at MUCH higher prices that are not even in theory capable of this performance, let alone in practice.

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #1,879 of 5,379
Quote:
I would like to hear from real owners how it works first. 

Maybe read a review in the audio press once they start coming out...

+1. Every now and then I check up the progress on their page - first deliveries are so to speak around the corner. I REALLY wish those guys to survive in the market; although I prefer going vintage at this price point, it is only an option if you do not mind doing some TLC - which might turn out into much more in the end. Plug and play TT for anything like this kind of money - curently the only game in town. If it lives up to the expectations AND it remains competitive once at regular price when pitted against Regas and Projects. AND if it can repeat pulling  this feat - across the Pond. Regas and Projects have to swim and meet customs prior you can see them in the US - which all costs a great percentage of total at this price level. Regas and Projects have distributors and so shipping can be much less expensive per single TT. Orbit will, if they decide  to go globaly by adding 230 V 50 Hz option, most likely deal with the end user directly - go to the USPS and see how much does it cost to ship to Europe say 6 kg package of the appropriate size when packed. Still, I wish them all the best.

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #1,881 of 5,379
So, few weeks ago VPI puts out another Scout, the Special Edition with the old HW-19 upgraded platter, a delrin and lead combination.  So happens I have an old HW-19 with that platter doing nothing.  And a Traveler.  The platter wasn't a drop in deal, but I took the entire assembly out of the HW-19, and swapped it onto the Traveler.  Complete luck that it worked because it's diameter is much smaller and the screws are drilled exactly in a position that they locate the 19's bearing dead center.  The weight keeps it in place.  Hybridized Traveler!  Little VTA adjust and it's good to go!

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #1,882 of 5,379
Quote:
So, few weeks ago VPI puts out another Scout, the Special Edition with the old HW-19 upgraded platter, a delrin and lead combination.  So happens I have an old HW-19 with that platter doing nothing.  And a Traveler.  The platter wasn't a drop in deal, but I took the entire assembly out of the HW-19, and swapped it onto the Traveler.  Complete luck that it worked because it's diameter is much smaller and the screws are drilled exactly in a position that they locate the 19's bearing dead center.  The weight keeps it in place.  Hybridized Traveler!  Little VTA adjust and it's good to go!

Sweet Eee Pee! Nice that VPI makes there gear so interchangeable.

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #1,883 of 5,379
Quote:

Nothin' to it for a smarter bear.  Congrats!

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #1,884 of 5,379
Word!  Though technically these things weren't quite interchangeable. 

Here's the HW-19 bearing holder thing located dead center due to the Traveler's bearing holder screws being in the exactly perfect spot.  Lucky, or what?  I was thinking of getting out my drill until I eyeballed it all.  "wow, that's gotta be close!  Wow that fits PERFECTLY!"

Time to spin some records!  

beerchug.gif

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #1,885 of 5,379
Quote:
Word!  Though technically these things weren't quite interchangeable. 

Here's the HW-19 bearing holder thing located dead center due to the Traveler's bearing holder screws being in the exactly perfect spot.  Lucky, or what?  I was thinking of getting out my drill until I eyeballed it all.  "wow, that's gotta be close!  Wow that fits PERFECTLY!"

Time to spin some records!  

beerchug.gif

Mat Weisfeld likes your mod....I posted the link to him of your pics...

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #1,887 of 5,379

last night i installed the brand new VPI JMW 3D tonearm.
so worth it.

i wish i could tell you guys that it's a simple drop-in replacement, but it's pretty far from that...
it took the better part of the evening to get it installed and dialed in.

everything about the arm is different.  it's a fraction of the mass, has a different bearing mechanism and bearing height.
so the VTA has to be set again.  and the azimuth is incredibly sensitive.
the arm can easily be induced to see-sawing if the counterweight is even one degree off from the azimuth that the cartridge wishes to track at...

once dialed in, it's simply outstanding though...  
the blackest background i have heard from analog.  and the most natural dynamics imaginable...

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,889 of 5,379
Quote:

last night i installed the brand new VPI JMW 3D tonearm.
so worth it.

i wish i could tell you guys that it's a simple drop-in replacement, but it's pretty far from that...
it took the better part of the evening to get it installed and dialed in.

everything about the arm is different.  it's a fraction of the mass, has a different bearing mechanism and bearing height.
so the VTA has to be set again.  and the azimuth is incredibly sensitive.
the arm can easily be induced to see-sawing if the counterweight is even one degree off from the azimuth that the cartridge wishes to track at...

once dialed in, it's simply outstanding though...  
the blackest background i have heard from analog.  and the most natural dynamics imaginable...

Those new 3D printed tonearms are really cool!

beerchug.gif

Jul 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #1,890 of 5,379
Oh my.  

Ohhhh my.  Wow.  Congrats!

Sidenote: Up til 0400 last night enjoying my new platter swap.  Record clamps - essential.  Even if I hear no difference in sound due to different materials, there is so much peace of mind because of that simple little clamp.  Happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back