Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Jun 10, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #1,861 of 5,379
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you, it IS a pic thread after all.  I'll rest now, but, tell us what we're looking at, please.  I see it's a Benz.  A friend has a Benz on his highly modified Planar 3 and loves it.

It's a 2005 P2 with a Benz Silver that I've had from new. The only modification are Mr. Lim aluminum feet (like P9) and a glass platter not pictured below.
I am looking to replace the plastic end stub/painted counterweight but can't decide between just getting the RB300 steel/tungsten or aftermarket.
Did you find a noticeable improvement when you changed to the Groovetracer?  I assume any improvement would be even more apparent on my RB250 given the plastic bits I'd replace. 

Welp, I'm not gonna' lie, too much.  My goal was to get the VTA within shouting distance of correct and be able to close the lid at the same time.  How's that for being a real audiophile?  Answer, I had the stock weight such a short time that I wasn't really that familiar with it's signature, if it even had one.  I ditched the P9 mat (hey, $35 down the toilet) and put the stock back on.  I "think" it sounds better but, heads up, I'm more of a leveler than a sharpener, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.  And, the "stop drinking" portion of your post was kind of scary.  It made me uncomfortable, 'cause that is not going to happen.

The spacer bidnuss:

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #1,862 of 5,379
Quote:
Oh, 
rolleyes.gif
 sorry analogsurviver.

No prob - expanding the horizons is always a good thing. The problem with abbreviations is that they sometimes "translate" ahmmm.... VERY weird if your first language is not English. Not in this case, though - I guessed it has something to do with depth.

A primer according to the MAD magazine regarding acronyms - and what they really stand for:

MCI     Making Communications Inaudible

CBS    Countless Bad Shows

and many more - that was in Mad some quarter of a century ago...

But loved wordless Spy vs Spy above it all - it was hilarious
atsmile.gif
, in anyone's language!

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #1,867 of 5,379

Opus 3 Cantus Linear Tracking Arm w/Clearaudio Maestro Wood cartridge. 

Cueing

Kind of close up of the bearings riding in the glass tube with a slit - from this angle

Kind of close up of the bearings from this angle In the background the AGI 511A preamp, with indespensable Transcriptors Stylus Scales atop of it.

Cart and arm bearings. Test record on all photos CBS STR 112. TT Kuzma Stabi S for 2 arms ( the # 00000001, originally requested by the owner ), with second platter added minutes prior taking these pics during setup of the arm/cart.

This is "Photoshoot of my new car during tuning in garage using phone camera", not "Imaculately polished new car by the tranquil lake, moments before sunset with infiniteless lenght legs female model;  taken by a professional photographer using Hasselblad" - some better pics hopefully after next visit and proper sonic audition at my friend's. It took some 6 hours to align/adjust it right.

More about actual setting up on turntable setup thread in due time.

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,868 of 5,379
Makes getting an Oracle "just right" seem like a piece of cake.  Awfully complicated to play a record but I've been simplifying lately.  I'm afraid you wouldn't make any money off me but I'm in awe of your work.  Hope all goes well.

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #1,869 of 5,379
Quote:
Makes getting an Oracle "just right" seem like a piece of cake.  Awfully complicated to play a record but I've been simplifying lately.  I'm afraid you wouldn't make any money off me but I'm in awe of your work.  Hope all goes well.

Not so sure. Cantus could be mounted on Oracle - light enough not to disrupt its stability too much. Add usual Oracle set up to get there.

As regards Cantus - once set up, unless you are a total VTA freak, it  can be forgotten. Also very inituative to operate.

I had very limited listening time with it so far ( strictly test music tracks , played say for a minute or two per track ) - but both myself and the owner clearly  recognized this is something entirely better, not just different. And he is a pro - first flutist in the symphonic orchestra. There is simply less intrusion of "foreign mechanical matter" with Cantus - and that does not include only pivoted arms, but most linear trackers as well.. 

Designer of Cantus is now sadly late Bo Hansson - producer, recording engineer, designer of audio equipment and overall positive audio figure from Sweden. Some of you may know Opus 3 label - yes, he was the man behind it. He simply wanted a "record player" that would play records with closer 
resemblance to master tapes - his own. He came up with Continuo turntable and Cantus arm - specially the later is something of genius. If you have any of the test records by Ortofon or Clearaudio with music on it - they are mainly from the Opus 3 catalogue. 

I was shocked how free from resonances this deceptively frail looking lightweight construction is. Although I did not perform the full batery of tests due to lack of time, I did record both technical measurements as well as above mentioned limited musical listening to the Korg MR 1000 DSD recorder at its highest resolution. I was able to adjust the CA Wood Maestro cart with an absolute aplomb - this exact serial # proved to be a "T" or perfect cartridge. This combo is perhaps better off at the innermost grooves than most others are at the outside - so precise is its performance. I am really happy to report that CA Maestro Wood in Cantus performs like on railroad tracks - and cart itself is very quiet in the groove and retains full composure even with worn and abused records. It is capable of brushing aside noise and distortion lesser transducer would go berserk with - even with the most difficult and complex of passages, like finale of Mahler's second symphony. That ability alone is more than worth the admission fee. Lovers of classical and special vocal classical music should put Cantus on their short audition list - IF they are willing and capable of mounting/adjusting it by themselves or have a dealer or friend to whom they can trust to carry that for them.

There will be better pics of this table in its natural habitat and not on the kitchen table; but you can clearly see the difference in size of Cantus vs normal 9" arm ( Kuzma Reference w/ Benz LP ( under the makeshift stylus guard my friend made from LEGO ( ! ) ) :

This sample of Cantus has wiring in one piece from cartridge lugs to the output RCAs - and does not extend for more than approx 20 cm from the tonearm base. Reason? Requirement for the wiring to have the least capacitance possible - something some MM carts absolutely require to work well. Clearaudio range of MMs is definitely in this group, spec for the load is 100 pF - which is in practice VERY hard to achieve. Translated to human terms - like man 190 cm tall weighing 60 kg. Borderline possible, definitely not common. Wiring here has been reduced to an absolute still somehow useable minimum; I will measure the capacitance next time out of curiosity, as it can not be made any lower. Instead of 47 kohm resistive load I used 33 Kohm - better from both measurement and listening,

If you remember, I suggested minimum capacitance achievable with 33Kohm resistance as load preferred by quite a few of the better Audio Technica MM carts. We have a saying: A wolf changes its fur, but never its nature. No wonder Maestro Wood behaves like that - it is OEM by Audio Technica for Clearaudio.

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,870 of 5,379
Thanks for the update.  Must sound amazing.  So, the Clearaudio Maestro Wood is an MM?  Wow!  (and I don't mean that technically
smile.gif
)

I was sorta kidding about the Oracle which is kind of a beast to get right no matter what arm is attached.

What kind of money are we talking here and, what does the total system consist of?  Inquiring minds?

I would love to see the finished product in sitsu.

It must be very gratifying to work at this level and then get the really excellent results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back