Possibly The Most Distrubing Crime in Recent History
Aug 4, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #46 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the record, I was simply pointing out the irony in the victim's surname. It was not intended as a joke at all, as I said then. If someone wants to read my post that way and then invoke the "even a moderator" mantra, then have at it. That wasn't my intention in any way, shape or form.

This kind of news of an act of unrepentant vicious cruelty is hard to stomach or discuss on any level. There is nothing funny about it at all. There was a bit or irony, however, which I (perhaps unwisely) pointed out. In any case, irony is a much different thing than humor.

What more is there to say about this subject anyway? Is it important to know how the victim was cut? How many times? If he was awake at first? What parts of his body were cut first, next, or last? Or what the sicko then did with his head? Or anything else? I mean, really. What exactly is there to talk about? Some of the curiosity exhibited in those posts can be read to be equally, or even more, disturbing, than anything I've seen in this thread that can be regarded as a 'joke'.

But irony can be used for comedic effect, although if that was not your intention... I'm sorry. And most of the "jokes" were about the cannibalistic aspect of the crime (not the beheading or stabbing). I don't find anything wrong with being curious about how a crime was committed, either, although perhaps this is not an appropriate place to discuss such things.

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #47 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But irony can be used for comedic effect, although if that was not your intention... I'm sorry. And most of the "jokes" were about the cannibalistic aspect of the crime (not the beheading or stabbing). I don't find anything wrong with being curious about how a crime was committed, either, although perhaps this is not an appropriate place to discuss such things.

I don't know exactly what my intent was. Maybe just trying to find something to say about a situation where there really isn't anything to say one way or the other. It's just plain awful. So sick that you just couldn't have imagined anything like that ever happening.

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #48 of 96
Quote:

I don't know exactly what my intent was. Maybe just trying to find something to say about a situation where there really isn't anything to say one way or the other. It's just plain awful. So sick that you just couldn't have imagined anything like that ever happening.

I agree. Consider that when a person witnesses an act of violence that horrific, it likely does not register as being real, in the moment. I've been in a situation that had the potential to be horrific (and was to a certain extent), and I could not admit to myself that it had actually happened (although it did, and that could have cost two people their lives, but fortunately did not).

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #49 of 96
I still can't believe this actually happened! Living in Canada I have always had a sense (perhaps false) of safety. Crimes of passion sure but this makes no sense. My blood went cold as I heard the news. I wonder if the other passengers had a chance to intervene. I understand he had a hunting knife but I still wonder.

Aug 4, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #52 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still can't believe this actually happened! Living in Canada I have always had a sense (perhaps false) of safety. Crimes of passion sure but this makes no sense. My blood went cold as I heard the news. I wonder if the other passengers had a chance to intervene. I understand he had a hunting knife but I still wonder.

Standard panic reaction. Most people will freeze when presented with this sort situation. Once they get over the initial shock, the vast majority will choose fleeing over fighting. This can happen even if the observers are armed. A fairly recent example was the church shooting in Colorado Springs. There was an armed male security staffer on scene that locked up and refused to engage the shooter even though he was being fired upon. It wasn't until an armed female security staffer came on the scene that the shooter was stopped. Some have it, most don't.

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #54 of 96
Just as disturbing as it gets!
Saw it mentioned on the news a couple of days back, and was just shocked.

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #55 of 96
Quote:

This is about as strange as it gets, that's for sure. So sad, yet so Canadian. Must be the weather up there that drives people nuts. In other words, this is simply too bizarre to comment about intelligently, so as the song goes: "Blame Canada!"

What can you possibly say to family and friends in situations like this? Ironic that the victim was 5'4" and 130 pounds with the surname of McLean. Sounds like something right off of the heart smart cannibal's menu at McDonalds. Eww... sorry about the sick (and rather obvious) reference. Don't quote me on that. I really don't think it's funny at all.

This is just one of those extremely difficult situations to grasp. Reminds me of Jeffrey Dahmer except it was right out in public. I hope and pray that there will not be any more victims once they start investigating, but somehow I suspect that this guy finally broke and wanted to get caught once and for all.

Those nasty McLeans were made with plankton and other leftover nasty seafood bits. My wife almost died at a McDonalds when she was younger when she ate one (she's allergic to seafood). Luckily she was with her sister who was in med school at the time and had an Epi-pen with her.

-Ed

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #58 of 96
An horrific crime, of no doubt. Brutal, savage, almost lacking thought or consciousness or anticipation....however, I would still, not exusing the killer in any way, be very interested to get some insight into what caused him to blow like this and lash out so violently. A seemingly straight-laced, normal, competent, polite, together guy goes AWOL out the blue, completely out of synch with his character, only then to exclaim such echewed behaviour with such a gruesome act. What precipitated this? What could trigger such? Was it ill-feeling/resentment etc accrued over time or was it a more recent, isolated event, perhaps of intense diturbance to the killer? Did he have mental health problems? Where drugs in anyway involved? Its bloody scary, but, fascinating, how a seemingly stable, secure man, leading a successful life, could just break down and erupt like this, in such an extreme way! Makes me sqeamish at how fragile he mind can be. Madness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back