Possibly The Most Distrubing Crime in Recent History
Aug 4, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #61 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An horrific crime, of no doubt. Brutal, savage, almost lacking thought or consciousness or anticipation....however, I would still, not exusing the killer in any way, be very interested to get some insight into what caused him to blow like this and lash out so violently. A seemingly straight-laced, normal, competent, polite, together guy goes AWOL out the blue, completely out of synch with his character, only then to exclaim such echewed behaviour with such a gruesome act. What precipitated this? What could trigger such? Was it ill-feeling/resentment etc accrued over time or was it a more recent, isolated event, perhaps of intense diturbance to the killer? Did he have mental health problems? Where drugs in anyway involved? Its bloody scary, but, fascinating, how a seemingly stable, secure man, leading a successful life, could just break down and erupt like this, in such an extreme way! Makes me sqeamish at how fragile he mind can be. Madness.

My thoughts exactly.

I wouldnt be surprised to see if someone in the court comes out and starts accusing videogames and music and TV...

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #62 of 96
Quote:

However, I wouldnt be surprised to see if someone comes out and starts accusing videogames and music... pfft.

Let me be the first. There's a story in today's paper about some guy in Greece beheading his girlfriend and walking around town with her head. I'd say these two situations give credence to the theory that violence on TV, movies, and video games leads to copycat behaviour. I don't recall much talk of "beheadings" prior to the Iraq conflict when suddenly it became a regular part of the evening news. Now we have two similar killings in western countries by non-terrorists in one week. I think there's a lot to be said for not giving nut-jobs ideas and inspiration.

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #63 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think there's a lot to be said for not giving nut-jobs ideas and inspiration.

They're nut-jobs. If you have the extreme desire to hurt someone, you're probably gonna do it. You can get an inspiration from pretty much anything. I've read short stories/novels that were more violent and graphic than gore films.

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #64 of 96
Quote:

Let me be the first. There's a story in today's paper about some guy in Greece beheading his girlfriend and walking around town with her head. I'd say these two situations give credence to the theory that violence on TV, movies, and video games leads to copycat behaviour. I don't recall much talk of "beheadings" prior to the Iraq conflict when suddenly it became a regular part of the evening news. Now we have two similar killings in western countries by non-terrorists in one week. I think there's a lot to be said for not giving nut-jobs ideas and inspiration.

Yes, but those people were already wackos without sense of reality (or have lost it for some reason). TV, games and music might give them ideas, but they wont create wackos. These people would copy and commit something horrible eventually.

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #65 of 96
Quote:

These people would copy and commit something horrible eventually.

I know. That's the standard line, and true to a point. But if these mentally weak/deranged people weren't exposed to so much violence on TV, movies, and video games ... doesn't it stand to reason that they wouldn't be set off (inspired) nearly as often?

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #66 of 96
You know, I was thinking about this thread and about what everyone is saying. When all is said and done, and this thread starts to run it course in a few weeks time, I can't help but think this will be able to be accessed forever. The poor kids family will be able to read every comment, even the tasteless jokes. I think it would be appropriate, if we could all come together as one on this forum, and ask the moderator to remove this post completely. Not now. In a few weeks time so it gives everyone a chance to talk about this. But it would be so respectful to the family who lost their son. Will you back be up on this one?

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #67 of 96
Quote:

I know. That's the standard line, and true to a point. But if these mentally weak/deranged people weren't exposed to so much violence on TV, movies, and video games ... doesn't it stand to reason that they wouldn't be set off (inspired) nearly as often?

Probaply. But then again, human imagination is almost unlimited. Anything can give them ideas. For example, reading about human anatomy opens up so many vile possibilities. Torturers and famous historical butchers didnt get their ideas from TV.

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #68 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, I was thinking about this thread and about what everyone is saying. When all is said and done, and this thread starts to run it course in a few weeks time, I can't help but think this will be able to be accessed forever. The poor kids family will be able to read every comment, even the tasteless jokes. I think it would be appropriate, if we could all come together as one on this forum, and ask the moderator to remove this post completely. Not now. In a few weeks time so it gives everyone a chance to talk about this. But it would be so respectful to the family who lost their son. Will you back be up on this one?

I agree. I can't believe a recording of the freakin' police radio communications from that night is now accessible online. Let's have a moment of silence out of respect for those who are trying to grieve privately.

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #69 of 96
There are deliriants out there that can theoretically cause this kind of behavior. Datura (a.k.a. Jimson Weed) and other members of the Nightshade family, or possibly large doses of Diphenhydramine or other similar medications. A lot of people confuse these drugs for psychedelics, which they most certainly aren't. They can induce a state of delirium in which the subject isn't aware that he's under the effects of a drug, but is at the same time nowhere near sane or sober, and often doesn't have any recollection of what he did while under the influence. These things are, in the case of Datura and the like, legally available from headshops and are pretty common in the wild, while Diphenhydramine is an active ingredient in OTC anti-allergy and anti-motion sickness medications (i.e. Benadryl). You have to take it well above medicinal dose to get deliriant effects, but there are plenty of teenagers out there that use it when they can't get their hands on anything else. Scopolamines, the active ingredients in the Nightshade family, are also used medicinally in many applications such as pupil-dilating drops, but the dosage in these cases is minor compared to recreational use. Anyone that knows their drugs will tell you to steer well clear of any kind of deliriants whatsoever.

But, before we run off and blame drugs, we should probably know the whole picture. Chances are the perpetrator wasn't as well-adjusted before the crime as we're led to believe.

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #71 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. I can't believe a recording of the freakin' police radio communications from that night is now accessible online.

Yeah, that's truly sickening. I picked my brother up on that exact route a week earlier on his way back to Winnipeg from a lake trip. Quiet bus, people either back from cottage country or doing the long haul east-to-west. And then this act of supreme, senseless brutality that within hours is being talked -- and joked -- about all over the world and is now archived online. It all seems very confused to me: the crime, the aftermath, the weird randomness of the choice of victim and the kinds of violence perpetrated on his body.

That, I think, is what is so frightening about the case, its essential disorder. We can indeed talk and joke about it, profess ourselves sickened by it, but it represents an extreme disorder or distortion of human experience: a totally unexpected eruption of terrifying violence that can barely be accounted for, let alone (generally) prevented. We don't, as a society, deal well with things like this.

o

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #72 of 96
holy...........................
eek.gif

That's brutal

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #73 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I guess I am passing on my lunch now.

True dat.

But... I wonder if it could be worst? I bet he is gonna have a lot of fun in jail though. Too bad he can't get sent to a Mexican prison or something.

Aug 4, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #74 of 96
Orkney, you've expressed it more clearly than me, its the 'disorder' of this that is so hard to compute and is whats so chilling about the nature of it. You can't really guard against such a thing, react maybe, but you can't forsee or anticipate such uninsequential behaviour.

I also agree it would be both respectful and in good taste to close this thread after a reasonable juncture. Good shout.

Aug 4, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #75 of 96
It is impossible for me to fathom what could drive a "person" to acts such as this. While we can discuss the fact he or she has "mental issues" then the next question is, how do you protect yourself? Sadly the answer is you can't since you do not know when someone will snap. It is this sense of helplessness that should give each of us concern and worry while at the same time continue on living and hoping that we do not encounter one of this sickos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back