Possibly fake PortaPro (Help me!)
Aug 15, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #32 of 51
it seems a bit unnecessary to purchase a possibly fake portpro from amazon or ebay because bestbuy.com has portapros priced at $30...though they stopped selling them in stores...sigh

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #33 of 51
here´s some other link on fake one....

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.42323

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #36 of 51

Quote:
the major factory for koss is fujikon in china!

Got mine. On the box it shows that it's made in china by Koss Switzerland. Everything shown in the thread proves that mine could be fake. But I don't know about this, because it sounded better than I expected. So I guess we can't really tell if something's fake or not since it's been around for 2+ decades already? Plus I got it for $40, should be the real deal. Then again, as long as your happy with the sound then it should be alright. 
smile_phones.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #37 of 51
Hello im new in head-fi but I own: 2 pairs of portapro 's, 1 pair of sporta's and 1 pair from KTX PRO1 i went pretty interesed in this post. I found this detail from my portas that the fake ones doesn't have: the small "KOSS" logo writen just when the headband arives to the plastic part.  What do you think about?

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #38 of 51

Quote:
This thread here also talks about Koss Portapro fakes:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...ta-pro-467256/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malandro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys , first post here, ! I find strange that my Koss´s bass is slightly stronger on the left side than the right one. And I was reading an article about a fake Koss Porta Pro model characteristics at the site Koreanstown.com ( link below ) and I noticed that on the right side of my headphone I have 3 equal circles at the inside part of the phone. Is this a sign that my headphone is fake ? Below a pic of a known fake phone with equal circles just as it is in my headphone :

Portapro2.jpg

The site describng how it is the fake Koss :

Warning! Fake Porta Pro discovered | Kool Audiophiles

P.S: Sorry for my poor english!

in the thread is a link to a Korean site which lists these issues:
Fake #. 1:
1 - The Headphone picture on the metalcal does not match ours. Top of headband is all one line on fake one.
2 - Mic screw is a little different on front & back.
3 - Plastic piece that holds the comfortZone label is different. No texture on outside rim. Does not have a ledge under the blue slider.
4 - Plastic piece (earcup w/metalcal ring is different). On inside we have 3 gate circles. Large, med, small. The fake has 3 all the same size. Our 2 top circles are smaller than the fake one.
5 - Metalcal ring is rough looking. Where the ring sits does not have the slope.
6 - The right cup on the fake has a cavity no. but it is no. 4 dull. The Koss phone has a no. 1 but shiny where the no. is.
7 - The “KOSS” embossed on the plug is not very deep as on ours. Also does not have a trash can label on cord.
8 - The impedance reads 30 to 33.7 ohms as where Koss reads between 60 to 63.4 ohms.
9 - Element cups, terminal board covers & grille plates are different.
10 - Cushions are a little larger & a slight difference in color. Do not have the crease on top like ours.

Packaging:
1 - Different backcards.
2 - Inner tray does not have the indents where the headband lays.
3 - Green color is not the same on top insert.
4 - Carrying pouch is different than Koss. Lines are in where “KOSS” is embossed.
5 - Headphone is loaded backwards in tray.

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavenlySword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I just bought a pair on ebay from simonsitems
They were fake. Here's how I can tell.
Real Portapros have the number "1" on the inner plastic like this:
t2jjtdxbtlcdnxxxxx72051.jpg

the fake ones I got from ebay said "4". also the number is printed on rough-looking plastic, where the Real thing above has the number 1 printed on smooth plastic.
dscf0281u.jpg

The real ones has color-matching sponges as seen on the follow picture on the right, where the left one is the fake one with different color sponges.
t2xzxdxd1lcdnxxxxx72051.jpg

check mine out, different colors:
dscf0282x.jpg

dscf0284o.jpg

dscf0285pc.jpg

The real ones have a trash can white tag next to the plug like this
t2iptdxnvkcdnxxxxx72051.jpg

but the one I got doesn't have it
dscf0289hu.jpg

Hi HeavenlySword,

Yesterday I received a 'lifetime warranty' replacement of my Portapros directly from Koss. Probably the third time I've taken advantage of their wonderful program over the years (I'm rough on portable headphones
dt880smile.png
)

[DISCLAIMER: FWIW, this may be an apples/oranges deal, since my observations are from a replacement from Koss, not a brand-new, factory-packaged model...]

Assuming I have received a 'real' set, here are my findings:

1) there is a "3" stamped on the inner plastic on the right side & a "4" on the left side (contradicts your 'fake' findings)
2) there was no white tag attached to the cord (contradicts your 'fake' findings).
3) the foam & sponge type/color on both sides are an exact match (supports your 'real' findings)

Regarding the stamped numbers on the plastic & the white tag inclusion, how did you determine what constitutes real or fake?

Since the replacement I received came straight from Koss, I find it rather unlikely that they sent me a fake, unless they are recycling components that include fade parts in their warranty replacement program to scrimp on costs (who knows...but if they are doing this, there are bigger issues at hand).

Side notes:
a) mine has the latest 'straight' plug rather than the right angle - I assume they switched this to accommodate certain cases that house iPods/iPhones??
b) The plastic backing on the drivers are now black, except for plastic section into which tthe l/r wires are inserted, which is still blue.

Greg

I was checking my Blue Portas out. Which MUST be real as they were shipped back new from Hama (who deal with the UK warranty). On the right hand side there's a "3" instead of a "1" (right-angled plug). So I wondered if I had real ones (though they certainly sound authentic).

The Koss PPs I got today (Red Hot Portapros from an ebay seller), absolutely stink of glue, and, I'll hand it to them, actually look the part. But the connection at the plug is very dodgy. My mobile automatically kicks in the mp3 player when I plug in phones, but instead it jumps from track to track as the connection keeps cutting out. Oh, and they sound ropey. They have a "4" at the right hand side. The aluminium doesn't feel smooth, it's rough. And the Koss embosses are different, the screws are too.

The ebay seller has been contacted twice and is VERY quiet. Unfortunately for me, I saw "Red Hot PortaPro" and hit Buy right away, seduced by having a red pair. Then I read the negative feedback. So, I admit, I'm a fool.

All sad as I wanted my headphones back! I wear them every day :frowning2:

PS: Using the Lifetime Warranty, I sent back my PortaPros (real ones :) ) last year to Hama, and paid postage. Replaced with brand-new ones. I've read that they now charge a £10 fee to replace them? I'm pretty sure I read it on a Koss-approved site but can't find it. I've emailed Hama about my broken PortaPros, so I'll let you know.

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #39 of 51
I cannot believe the reply I got from the ebay seller!!
"I do not want to read the article.Sitting in home reading the article you could have done it before purchase. Send me both pair mine and yours if you have and i will compare and if i find difference i will refund you.
- sky-deal-shop"
eek.gif

(Referring to this article: http://www.koreanstown.com/2009/11/warning-fake-porta-pro-discovered/ )

So, I have to send back my own PortaPros and the dodgy ones? No way.

The temple and ear sponges are different colours on the fakes, as mentioned earlier.

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #40 of 51

Quote:

I was checking my Blue Portas out. Which MUST be real as they were shipped back new from Hama (who deal with the UK warranty). On the right hand side there's a "3" instead of a "1" (right-angled plug). So I wondered if I had real ones (though they certainly sound authentic).

The Koss PPs I got today (Red Hot Portapros from an ebay seller), absolutely stink of glue, and, I'll hand it to them, actually look the part. But the connection at the plug is very dodgy. My mobile automatically kicks in the mp3 player when I plug in phones, but instead it jumps from track to track as the connection keeps cutting out. Oh, and they sound ropey. They have a "4" at the right hand side. The aluminium doesn't feel smooth, it's rough. And the Koss embosses are different, the screws are too.

The ebay seller has been contacted twice and is VERY quiet. Unfortunately for me, I saw "Red Hot PortaPro" and hit Buy right away, seduced by having a red pair. Then I read the negative feedback. So, I admit, I'm a fool.

All sad as I wanted my headphones back! I wear them every day :frowning2:

PS: Using the Lifetime Warranty, I sent back my PortaPros (real ones :) ) last year to Hama, and paid postage. Replaced with brand-new ones. I've read that they now charge a £10 fee to replace them? I'm pretty sure I read it on a Koss-approved site but can't find it. I've emailed Hama about my broken PortaPros, so I'll let you know.

My pair here which bought from authorised dealer also having a 4 (left) & 2 (right)...while the rest of the details look very much the same...i think the 4 and 2 indicate the moulding/jig number used.

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #41 of 51
actually i also I saw "Red Hot PortaPro"  item location is in hongkong ,and it has one +ve review also,infact i emailed the seller regarding my concern about the fake koss  PortaPro and asked hime whether i'll get lifetime warranty on that and he replied that these are special edition ,and yes i'll get lifetime warranty on this .so i ordered immediately... now after reading all these i am also worried whether i have been duped...
he had listed the price as 25 us dollars and 10 us dollars as international standard shipping charges, so i thought it is very good deal..
link is
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330685426085&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

pl suggest frinds

Apr 22, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #42 of 51
what if i have me Comfort Zone stickers to read:
right side: Light-Firm
left side: Firm-Light

but i bought it at Fye.  and made sure of the packaging marks. the yellow/greenish circle is positioned and printed perfectly.
it says Comfort Zone Setting for Best Fit

and 60ohms.

it also has smooth plastic, and prints 1 on the Left Side, but prints 2 on the Right...?

is this normal!?

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #43 of 51
Quote:
what if i have me Comfort Zone stickers to read:
right side: Light-Firm
left side: Firm-Light

but i bought it at Fye.  and made sure of the packaging marks. the yellow/greenish circle is positioned and printed perfectly.
it says Comfort Zone Setting for Best Fit

and 60ohms.

it also has smooth plastic, and prints 1 on the Left Side, but prints 2 on the Right...?

is this normal!?

WOW...there is sure a lot of conflicting information of whats a fake pair and whats real. Comfort Zone for Best Fit written on the package is supposedly a fake pair but you bought it at FYE so I doubt they are. I am starting to believe the differences in packaging and slight difference in appearance because they are assembled from different Factories.. I have read many threads on this most of the supposedly fake markings conflict with where people are getting them from. Amazon..Koss themselves..now FYE..There are probably fakes out there but I believe variations in manufacturing and country of origin are more likely..Your pair is probably fine. How do they sound?

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #44 of 51
they sound just like the reviews, an abundance of bass thats very present. but not overwhelming.

clear crisp sound, very good quality.  I was blown away, i was very pleased to purchase this as this IS a step up from my Sony MDR XB500s and Sennheiser HD201s

FYE just started to sell these, and i kept sure of my paranoia i was not getting myself a fake pair.
because the Plastic is smooth, not ruff.
the Earpads are not different, they are all the same colour
the Trash symbol sticker is there.
it was positioned the correct way in the package
it DOES say 60ohms.

it came from the bubble packaging Koss has been doing with the porta pros for awhile

*update, i walked in the same FYE again. and they restocked the Portapro with 1 PP, but its in a newer updated package. its in a nice hard paper smooth black box. the new Packaging reminds me of the photos i see Koss putting the 25th anniv. PP's in. which it IS!

though, i do feel my pair is fine. i now doubt that its fake because FYE shouldnt be selling fakes at a Virginia Mall.

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #45 of 51
Quote:
they sound just like the reviews, an abundance of bass thats very present. but not overwhelming.

clear crisp sound, very good quality.  I was blown away, i was very pleased to purchase this as this IS a step up from my Sony MDR XB500s and Sennheiser HD201s

FYE just started to sell these, and i kept sure of my paranoia i was not getting myself a fake pair.
because the Plastic is smooth, not ruff.
the Earpads are not different, they are all the same colour
the Trash symbol sticker is there.
it was positioned the correct way in the package
it DOES say 60ohms.

it came from the bubble packaging Koss has been doing with the porta pros for awhile

*update, i walked in the same FYE again. and they restocked the Portapro with 1 PP, but its in a newer updated package. its in a nice hard paper smooth black box. the new Packaging reminds me of the photos i see Koss putting the 25th anniv. PP's in. which it IS!

though, i do feel my pair is fine. i now doubt that its fake because FYE shouldnt be selling fakes at a Virginia Mall.

I am glad you mind is at ease about your pair. I bought mine from ebay and mine are possibly fake but considering the effort to pull that off, I am still doubting it. They sound like they should . However I am comparing the sound to my KSC75s. They have more bass than the 75s  and sound nearly identical to them when I take them off the band and put the drivers on the 75s clips. Seems the band itself really affects the sound of these. I still think the ksc75s are the way to go because they can be had for about 15 dollars compared to 35 and up for the portapros. When I put my ksc75s drivers on a portapro band, the change in sound becomes bassier just like the portapro. They are virtually identical drivers with the exception of the titanium coating on the Ksc75s drivers which is supposed to make them brighter sounding than the portapros but again put the portapro band on them and they sound very very similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back