Possibly fake PortaPro (Help me!)
Mar 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #16 of 51
Mar 14, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by BMo90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found an ebay seller thats selling portapro's for 32$. in the picture the firm light sticker is consistent with genuine portapros. However the picture appears to be a stock photo. Do you guys think this is enough to go by or should I wait for the sellers reply to my email asking for confirmation that it's genuine?

this is the link+seller in question

Boxed Folding Koss Porta Pro Stereo Headphones PortaPro on eBay.ca (item 220566883384 end time 15-Mar-10 13:39:08 EDT)

It's shipped straight from china, I suggest you avoid it and buy it off amazon. Don't try to save a couple dollars and get ripped off $32 in the end like me T_T

Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyFine Shindig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've also been a recent victim to buying fake portapro's on ebay. One other thing i noticed which i dont think was mentioned was that the firm-light sticker is switched around.

It reads: Light . . . Firm on the fakes.

Actually the counterfeiters got smart. They took out the light firm stickers and put in firm light, but i can see their messy glue job on the stickers haha. Also, before, the back of the box for the fake ones read 30 ohms, but the counterfeiters changed that to 60 to prevent obvious spotting of the fakes. sneaky dudes they are.

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #18 of 51
Portapros can easily be found in so many places for cheap, why bother with ebay? buy.com, amazon, just look around I can always find them for under $35 (and I frequently look)

This one took me two seconds:

http://www.buy.com/prod/koss-portapr...204734548.html

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the portapros are an incredible bargain, everyone should have a pair

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #19 of 51
Hi,

I bought fake ones off play uk site.
When I got them n plugged them on and played it.. my head said ïs this what the whole world is raving n ranting about?"and at the same time my heart said "maybe a few hours of burning in will help. the bass would .. well.. make a surprise appearance!"

in a couple of hours i found out that the stereo pin was faulty on this one. I did check this thread, and found out that the inner panels were marked 4 instead of 1, the outer chrome ring which glimmers on the original was at best a pale brushed aluminium finish on mine.I sent them back to the seller, only to get back a tampered box this time, with the foam padding (for the temple) on both sides missing from the heahphones!

I am currently trying to fight it out with the website and the seller for a full refund.

And yes, on the box where the original one reads "listen to music on your iPhone". the fake it reads.. "Comfort zone TM setting for best fit" . The printing on the sides of the outer cups is 'shoddy. The plastics are badly finished. the metal bits are stuck with glue that is visible all over the edges. very disappointed.

Once I get the refund, I would like to re-order it from some genuine sellers in UK. Any suggestions welcome.
thanks
jeez

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavenlySword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I just bought a pair on ebay from simonsitems
They were fake. Here's how I can tell.
Real Portapros have the number "1" on the inner plastic like this:
t2jjtdxbtlcdnxxxxx72051.jpg

the fake ones I got from ebay said "4". also the number is printed on rough-looking plastic, where the Real thing above has the number 1 printed on smooth plastic.
dscf0281u.jpg

The real ones has color-matching sponges as seen on the follow picture on the right, where the left one is the fake one with different color sponges.
t2xzxdxd1lcdnxxxxx72051.jpg

check mine out, different colors:
dscf0282x.jpg

dscf0284o.jpg

dscf0285pc.jpg

The real ones have a trash can white tag next to the plug like this
t2iptdxnvkcdnxxxxx72051.jpg

but the one I got doesn't have it
dscf0289hu.jpg

Hi HeavenlySword,

Yesterday I received a 'lifetime warranty' replacement of my Portapros directly from Koss. Probably the third time I've taken advantage of their wonderful program over the years (I'm rough on portable headphones
dt880smile.png
)

[DISCLAIMER: FWIW, this may be an apples/oranges deal, since my observations are from a replacement from Koss, not a brand-new, factory-packaged model...]

Assuming I have received a 'real' set, here are my findings:

1) there is a "3" stamped on the inner plastic on the right side & a "4" on the left side (contradicts your 'fake' findings)
2) there was no white tag attached to the cord (contradicts your 'fake' findings).
3) the foam & sponge type/color on both sides are an exact match (supports your 'real' findings)

Regarding the stamped numbers on the plastic & the white tag inclusion, how did you determine what constitutes real or fake?

Since the replacement I received came straight from Koss, I find it rather unlikely that they sent me a fake, unless they are recycling components that include fade parts in their warranty replacement program to scrimp on costs (who knows...but if they are doing this, there are bigger issues at hand).

Side notes:
a) mine has the latest 'straight' plug rather than the right angle - I assume they switched this to accommodate certain cases that house iPods/iPhones??
b) The plastic backing on the drivers are now black, except for plastic section into which tthe l/r wires are inserted, which is still blue.

Greg

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyFine Shindig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've also been a recent victim to buying fake portapro's on ebay. One other thing i noticed which i dont think was mentioned was that the firm-light sticker is switched around.

It reads: Light . . . Firm on the fakes.

Which side? Left or right?
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #23 of 51
Must be coincidence that I was listening to my Koss Portapros as I ran into this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't find more info about the design variants of these headphones other than the various scattered posts in these forums. I don't think mine are fake since I bought mine at Best Buy just a couple of months ago, but some of the possible fake indicators above alarmed me initially. They were brand new and came in bubble packaging with cardboard backing. I tossed the packaging, unfortunately, but I remember it being quite simple - mostly black with the usual marketing text. These were the standard, non-anniversary Portapros by the way.

As for the headphones:

-Mine are all black, including the metal headband. The inset ring around the Koss logo on the drivers looks like matte finished black paint, and shows the thinnest line of bare silver metal along the edge.

-The inside of the headphones are not smooth and have a "4" on the left and "2" on the right. The cord is soft and cloth-covered. It's almost like string, but I wouldn't call it weak.

-The plug end looks the same as the pics above (short and straight). I don't remember if they had the white tag though.

-Comfort Zone says "Firm" and "Light" in that order

I'm no expert audiophile, but I like to think I am at least average, if not better, at determining sound quality. These sound phenomenal, with a quality that is essentially like every review I've read about them. I don't know why I'm typing all this up other than to find out if anyone else has my variant design scheme and to assure myself that I have the genuine article
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #24 of 51
This thread here also talks about Koss Portapro fakes:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...ta-pro-467256/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malandro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys , first post here, ! I find strange that my Koss´s bass is slightly stronger on the left side than the right one. And I was reading an article about a fake Koss Porta Pro model characteristics at the site Koreanstown.com ( link below ) and I noticed that on the right side of my headphone I have 3 equal circles at the inside part of the phone. Is this a sign that my headphone is fake ? Below a pic of a known fake phone with equal circles just as it is in my headphone :

Portapro2.jpg

The site describng how it is the fake Koss :

Warning! Fake Porta Pro discovered | Kool Audiophiles

P.S: Sorry for my poor english!

in the thread is a link to a Korean site which lists these issues:
Fake #. 1:
1 - The Headphone picture on the metalcal does not match ours. Top of headband is all one line on fake one.
2 - Mic screw is a little different on front & back.
3 - Plastic piece that holds the comfortZone label is different. No texture on outside rim. Does not have a ledge under the blue slider.
4 - Plastic piece (earcup w/metalcal ring is different). On inside we have 3 gate circles. Large, med, small. The fake has 3 all the same size. Our 2 top circles are smaller than the fake one.
5 - Metalcal ring is rough looking. Where the ring sits does not have the slope.
6 - The right cup on the fake has a cavity no. but it is no. 4 dull. The Koss phone has a no. 1 but shiny where the no. is.
7 - The “KOSS” embossed on the plug is not very deep as on ours. Also does not have a trash can label on cord.
8 - The impedance reads 30 to 33.7 ohms as where Koss reads between 60 to 63.4 ohms.
9 - Element cups, terminal board covers & grille plates are different.
10 - Cushions are a little larger & a slight difference in color. Do not have the crease on top like ours.

Packaging:
1 - Different backcards.
2 - Inner tray does not have the indents where the headband lays.
3 - Green color is not the same on top insert.
4 - Carrying pouch is different than Koss. Lines are in where “KOSS” is embossed.
5 - Headphone is loaded backwards in tray.

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #26 of 51
Apr 27, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #28 of 51
I own one $30 Koss PortaPro... but i can't justify whether it's a fake or not...

When I bought it the reseller state it's an OEM? They claim that the components are totally real just assembly at their own factory(?)

After months of usage... I found that it's durable as I bring it everyway. It sound like how it been describe plus i get 4 colors to select(black, yellow, red and blue)... FYI, I bought a black Koss PP. And it looks cool!!!

Jun 25, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #29 of 51

Quote:
So I just bought a pair on ebay from simonsitems
They were fake. Here's how I can tell.
Real Portapros have the number "1" on the inner plastic like this:
t2jjtdxbtlcdnxxxxx72051.jpg

the fake ones I got from ebay said "4". also the number is printed on rough-looking plastic, where the Real thing above has the number 1 printed on smooth plastic.
dscf0281u.jpg

The real ones has color-matching sponges as seen on the follow picture on the right, where the left one is the fake one with different color sponges.
t2xzxdxd1lcdnxxxxx72051.jpg

check mine out, different colors:
dscf0282x.jpg

dscf0284o.jpg

dscf0285pc.jpg

The real ones have a trash can white tag next to the plug like this
t2iptdxnvkcdnxxxxx72051.jpg

but the one I got doesn't have it
dscf0289hu.jpg

dude... i received a replacement package from Koss today, the one i received also has a number 4 on that....

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #30 of 51
Both packagings are koss original, they change packaging every 2-3 years period.
they are also use at least thre factorys making them for koss, because koss dont have any factory in the usa any more.
two of those are in china, and one is in korea.
therefore they sound different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back