Possible to convert Apple Lossless?
Dec 31, 2006 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

HiGHFLYiN9

Member of the Trade: Zynsonix
I currently have iTunes packed with Apple Lossless files for home listening and am wondering if it's possible to convert them to another format for portable listening (I'm considering a Zune) as I have no intention of re-ripping all those CDs :p TIA.

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 12
dbpoweramp can transcode from alac to other formats. Quicktime (and itunes) can transcode alac to wav etc at which point you can use your utility of choice to go to your format of choice.

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dbpoweramp can transcode from alac to other formats. Quicktime (and itunes) can transcode alac to wav etc at which point you can use your utility of choice to go to your format of choice.

Nice! Is it possible to keep your old files as well when you are converting?

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! Is it possible to keep your old files as well when you are converting?

Absolutely!

Just remember once you get it installed, it comes with a utility called "dMC File Selector" that allows you to convert whole directory structures.

A lot of people miss that and consequently think that they have to select files a few at a time.

Jan 1, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the problem with proprietary formats: you are stuck with the brand forever. That's why we all should use an open-source format like flac.

because the zune supports flac? i didn't think so

you can convert a number of ways. itunes will even convert them to mp3 for you (change your encode format to mp3, right click on a file or any number of selected files and chose "convert selection to mp3").

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
because the zune supports flac? i didn't think so

you can convert a number of ways. itunes will even convert them to mp3 for you (change your encode format to mp3, right click on a file or any number of selected files and chose "convert selection to mp3").

Will that still leave the alac version untouched?

Jan 2, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's awesome. I didn't know that. Is there anyway to separate out the AAC/MP3 files or to sort by encoding method? It would be nice if I could just drag and drop the AAC files into my iPod.

-- David

Jan 2, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #10 of 12
I suppose a quick way would be to click enable a 'bit rate' column (View > Options, tick bit rate), selecting the top of the bit rate column so the files are ordered by bit rate, selecting the ALAC files (click the top ALAC file, hold down shift, click the bottom ALAC file to make a big selection), right click and choose uncheck selection, they will all be unticked. Then, when you go to sync your iPod, make sure 'Sync only checked items' is checked. Voila, only the MP3/AAC files are on your iPod.

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by KayoDot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose a quick way would be to click enable a 'bit rate' column (View > Options, tick bit rate), selecting the top of the bit rate column so the files are ordered by bit rate, selecting the ALAC files (click the top ALAC file, hold down shift, click the bottom ALAC file to make a big selection), right click and choose uncheck selection, they will all be unticked. Then, when you go to sync your iPod, make sure 'Sync only checked items' is checked. Voila, only the MP3/AAC files are on your iPod.

An even easier way would be to enable the "kind" column, which lets you know the type of file you're looking at. It's not necessary to extrapolate the encoding method from the bitrate when you can see it directly. Sort by that column and move the appropriate files to an iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back