Possible pair of counterfeit MDR-V700DJ
Jan 31, 2008 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

john_faye

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I purchased a pair of these headphones from an amazon.co.uk market place seller who had 100% feedback rating from 75 customers, hence the reason I proceeded with my order. I received the headphones and thought they felt great and sounded wonderful, but there are a few things niggling me because there is a lot of talk about these headphones being faked! I looked this up and there are a few similarities and a few differences between my headphones and a set of 'fake' ones. For examples see the pictures below...

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

The box language is in French and English, no apparent spelling mistakes. It has a stick on bar code (as it should) but seems slightly faded. Im thinking the seller could have imported french models. One thing I noticed on the box that I was told on another site shouldn't be is that it says they are made in China, and should say made in Philippines.

Once I opened the box I found the headphones in a polythene bag, with a pearly white carrying case with the sony tab, two manuals, one about hearing damage and how to use and another about safe disposal.

IMG_0451.jpg

The headphones themselves feel sturdy and well built, the ear pads are thick and comfortable on your head and the sound quality from what I can tell is good. The Sony logo on each ear cup is raised as it should be and the cord is matte black/grey and easily extends. But there is no CE mark or 'Philippines' mark stamped either side of the headband and the jacks have black breaks between the connectors instead of the traditional sony green.

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

I am really worried that these are fake headphones as I am only 17, and still in full time education so don't have a chance to earn much money, and to spend £50 on some headphones for them to turn out to be cheap counterfit items would really ruin my day!
Hope anyone might be able to shed some more light on the situation!

Many Thanks,
John.

P.S. Sorry for all the photos.

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 24
most newer production sony headphones are made in china. like the current v6. The newer v6 built quality is slightly inferior to the older model and I suspect that the your v700 is of newer production.

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 24
Your headphone looks to be geniune to me.

Jan 31, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 24
Also,

I just picked up a pair of cheapo MDR-100's at Walmart today. Going to use the headband/driver enclosure for a MOD project...Anyway the jack adapter on this set have black breaks on it instead of the typical green that I had received before on sony products.

So I think you just received a newer version.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 24
If the manual is in French/English.. that sounds Canadian
biggrin.gif

They look genuine to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Fake ones generally have absolutely horrible sound anyways that you can point out as soon as you get them.

*EDIT:
I'm pretty sure they're canadian because french version would either a) have no english b) include other languages such as german, spanish, italian etc
As I have never seen a fake canadian headphones (for anything actually) I think you're safe! Happy listening!

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 24
I don't mean to scare you but if it doesn't have the "CE" or made in "...." mark on the headband it is very likely fake. A genuine headband is very very tight whereas the fakes have a headband that does not "squeeze" as much. If you put the ear cups together at the center they should be squishing each other. Also, if you rub the sony debossing on the earcups, the silver will flake off very easily. If neither is the case, you should be safe.

Feb 1, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #9 of 24
I really have a great amount of experience with Sony headphones. I am really sorry to tell that this is a counterfeit. It almost looks damn like the real thing but they forgot the only part counterfeiters forget when bootlegging Sony headphones, the plugs. Sony never EVER manufacture their headphones with black bands around the gold plated or silver plated plugs. It's always green and that includes from adapter or extensions. I have a lot of Sony headphones and pretty much confirm this is fake. I double checked my MDR-V700 and it says "Philippines" on the left arm and CE on the right arm. The box should say Philippines also and not China unless it's stated that the box is made from China and headphones from the Philippines. Plus the earcups are too fat as mine is thinner. I got mine direct from Sony. If you want pictures PM me and I'll show you mine.

Feb 1, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fake ones generally have absolutely horrible sound anyways that you can point out as soon as you get them.

It gets worse than a genuine pair?

Feb 23, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 24
Hi Guys, sorry to barge in on this thread.

I bought a pair of these too on eBay without doing much research, stupidly. Everything seems legit... all the printing is right, the barcode is stuck on the box, the sound is OK, I have the green plugs and the cream bag, and the instructions and the build quality seems pretty decent.

But... there is no CE / Philipines mark on the insides (the box says China). I think I need to check them out against some in a retail outlet, but what are your thoughts?

Feb 23, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It gets worse than a genuine pair?

LOL!!
I believe there's an absolutely necessary mod for V700s - once you have snug fit of the headphones, you turn the volume knob carefully to zero, and that will provide the best sound V700s can offer

:p sorry about my bashing reflex

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really have a great amount of experience with Sony headphones. I am really sorry to tell that this is a counterfeit. It almost looks damn like the real thing but they forgot the only part counterfeiters forget when bootlegging Sony headphones, the plugs. Sony never EVER manufacture their headphones with black bands around the gold plated or silver plated plugs. It's always green and that includes from adapter or extensions. I have a lot of Sony headphones and pretty much confirm this is fake. I double checked my MDR-V700 and it says "Philippines" on the left arm and CE on the right arm. The box should say Philippines also and not China unless it's stated that the box is made from China and headphones from the Philippines. Plus the earcups are too fat as mine is thinner. I got mine direct from Sony. If you want pictures PM me and I'll show you mine.

never EVER as in these:
hxxp://www.amazon.com/Sony-PC-234S-Audio-Plug-Adaptor/dp/B000095SA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1207537768&sr =8-1

Genuine or is Amazon selling counterfeit

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #14 of 24
Looks real, normally the fakes has no wrinkles in the earphone area, its just smooth.
Personally I've seen the fakes before, i think there is a post about how to distinguish the real from the fakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back