Possible damaged headphone drivers (Sennheiser HD650)
Aug 24, 2010 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ImitationOfLife

100+ Head-Fier
Hey folks,

Ever since a few days ago (I let one of my fraternity brothers try my HD650s; he cranked the volume on my Woo Audio 6 for maybe a minute when he was listening), I have been hearing buzzing noises when I listen to certain songs. BUT, recently I have also been re-ripping my entire CD collection in Lossless. Initially I put the buzzing noises off thinking that they were revealed by the HD650s because of the Lossless files, which could show more detail. Now the buzzing noises are driving me nuts and I'm afraid that the drivers are somehow damaged.

Essentially, I'm just asking what does a damaged driver sound like? And is there any way that the drivers in my HD650s could be damaged?

Aug 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
Are you sure there isn't a stray hair against the driver?  That is always the first thing to look for when you hear buzzing.  Take a look.

No hair against the drivers. There was what appeared to be a few specs of dust (or dirt or the like) against one though. I'm not exactly sure how to go about getting it out.

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 13
I did both. They appear to be fine.

Could anyone please describe what a damaged driver actually sounds like (or the symptoms)? It would be much appreciated.
smile_phones.gif

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 13
There's a chance your amp could be clipping, too.

Failed drivers happen in a few ways.  One is if the cone is torn, damaged or becomes separated from the voicecoil.  This can make a buzzing sound and, in some cases, the driver will stop working.

The other way is if the voicecoil gets shorted.  This happens when the voicecoil heats up too much and melts the enamel insulation on the wires.  The wires then touch each other and the voicecoil shorts out.  If this happens, they usually won't work at all.

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 13
Play any track that has a section with only bass, or a bass test track with a solid 60hz note or so. This will get the driver moving with no other sounds to get in the way. If it's going to buzz due to failure, it will do it here. The above is what I used to figure out that my porta pro's had a buzz due to the metal outer cover of one driver rattling.

Oct 10, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 13
Hi ImitationOfLife,

It's an old thread, but I wonder how it worked out for you.. Did you manage to test/replace the driver?

It looks like I have the same problem which I just noticed yesterday. There is annoying buzz in the right driver which is noticeable when playing low tones loud.

I performed a test, played a pure 20Hz tone through my headphones and the problem was very prominent. the right driver was producing this buzz while the left one was mostly vibrating. (I say mostly because I feel I heard some buzz also but nowhere near the level of the right one).

I don't see any dust/particles there (and that was my first reaction to check that)..

Does anyone have experience with this? Is easy to damage drivers by listening music loud? Can sennheiser test my pair? (I guess I'm out of warranty already)

Oct 10, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 13
This page and this page will show how to open up a HD650.  Open it up and check the driver pod.  The driver pod snaps in and can sometimes come loose which can cause a buzzing.  Check the make sure the driver pod is snapped in properly.  You can also remove the driver pod to check if there is a hair or other object on the driver and also check if the driver is visibly deformed or damaged.  Just be careful around the hair thin voice coil wires in the pod.  It is very easy to snag one and break the wire.  So be careful.

If you have a multi-meter you can check the impedance (resistance) of each driver to see if one has been shorted (blown).

Don't worry about the intermittency problem mentioned in one of the pages I linked to.  That's be dealt with by Sennheiser years ago.  I only linked to that page because it shows how to remove the driver pod.

If you do need a new driver you can see that it is easily  user replaceable.  So no need to send the entire headphone to Sennheiser.  Just order a new driver (iirc they're about $60 for a new driver pod).  You'll have to call Sennheiser to order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back