Portable tube amp from china?
Oct 17, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #871 of 916
B4-X tubes are picking up wifi interference. In some of the earliest posts some guys were lining the case with copper foil to block wifi interference. When I stack the B4-X with Shanling M3X and turn on the wifi I can hear the noise caused by the tubes. Noise goes away after turning off the wifi. I’m gonna have to reread those posts for the copper foil lining mod myself.
Honestly, it doesn't take much physical distance to stop the interference. I got the same thing from the radio on my cell phone, and all it took was putting it in a pocket on the other side of my jacket from my phone to stop the noise. Maybe a foot and a half / half a meter or so is plenty.

Oct 18, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #872 of 916
Honestly, it doesn't take much physical distance to stop the interference. I got the same thing from the radio on my cell phone, and all it took was putting it in a pocket on the other side of my jacket from my phone to stop the noise. Maybe a foot and a half / half a meter or so is plenty.
Cool, glad that works for you. I want to stack my DAP and B4-X together so will do a different solution.

Oct 19, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #874 of 916
Cool, glad that works for you. I want to stack my DAP and B4-X together so will do a different solution.
I mean live your life, but even the best faraday cage will not block 100% of the noise if you're stacking this with the source of the noise. Shielding is about attenuation, not elimination. The tubes are sensitive, so even if you stacked them with a gap between you're going to get significantly less noise than if you added extra shielding (the aluminum case is already shielding in and of itself) and still put this amp directly on top of the source of the noise. That's just how electromagnetic radiation works.

Also, and I have to point this out, adding shielding but not addressing the fact that there is a giant window over the super sensitive tubes is well, an oversight to say the very least.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #875 of 916
I actually put the foil over the window, because that is a stupid design choice. I ended up taking it off because I missed the glow.

If you're going to open it up, you might want to put some o-rings over/on the tubes. That helps the microphonics a decent amount.

Feb 16, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #876 of 916
Feb 16, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #877 of 916
Mar 28, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #878 of 916
IMG_20230328_160242.jpg

IMG_20230328_192150.jpg

IMG_20230328_192248.jpg

IMG_20230328_201930.jpg

IMG_20230328_201830.jpg

KAEI TAP 2 (Upgrade MUSE02 version) with Moondrop Dawn (3.5mm) on OnePlus 8T using UAPP
(SELF BOUGHT)
Sensitive/low-impedance test:

Softears Volume (5ohm, 123.7db/vrms@1khz) :

(TUBE ON, LOW GAIN) Can still hear the music (extremely low volume though) with the amp being on at 0 volume, which is kind of annoying. The volume wheel´s volume (no pun intended) control is excellent and allows for very fine adjustments. ZERO NOISE AT ALL even without music playing, although if you turn off the music and raise the volume to around 12 o´clock there is some noise

(TUBE OFF, LOW GAIN) 0 volume still has some music playing although slightly louder as with the TUBE OFF the volume overall is actually louder. Control over the volume is pretty much the same in that it has excellent control BUT since it is louder overall, it does mean that it gets louder quicker. No tube noise from it even with the wheel turned all the way to the max (no music playing obviously) but there is some very slight hiss in the background at that point which isn’t really a problem since no sane person will listen that loud.

(TUBE OFF, HIGH GAIN) Same as before but even worse volume control since it gets quick really fast. Hiss is more present and at ALL volumes while at max volume the hiss is much louder.

(TUBE ON, HIGH GAIN) same as with tube OFF, there is now hiss present at all volumes AND at 9 o´clock the tube noise kicks in. Volume control is slightly better though as the volume is a bit lower than without the tube activated as mentioned before.

Comment: You will have no issues AT ALL using sensitive and low-impedance transducers.

POWER test:

Ruler (Planar, 50ohm, <92db):

(Tube ON, LOW GAIN): Cannot hear music at 0 volume. Playing at around 1-2 o´clock. ZERO noise at all volumes and no hiss.

(TUBE OFF, LOW GAIN): Playing at around 12-1 o´clock.

(TUBE OFF, HIGH GAIN): playing at around 10-11 o´clock. No noise nor hiss at all.

(TUBE ON, HIGH GAIN) playing at around 11-12 o´clock. No hiss at all, tube noise is very slightly present at max volume.

DIY 500ohm BUD (500ohm):

(TUBE ON, LOW GAIN): Cannot hear music at 0 volume. Playing at around 12-1 o ´clock. At max volume, there is an extremely tiny tube noise that is present.

(TUBE OFF, Low GAIN): Playing at around 11 o´clock. No hiss nor noise at all.

(TUBE OFF, HIGH GAIN): Can hear music at 0 volume slightly. Playing at around 9-10 o´clock. No hiss nor noise at all.

(TUBE ON, HIGH GAIN): Can hear music at 0 volume very slightly. Playing at around 10 o´clock. Tube noise is present a bit at max volume, no hiss.

Comment: Can drive pretty much anything.

Source memeing: Tube on or off honestly really doesn’t sound that different too me, the Tube on mode might be very slightly smoother, warmer and with looser/slower bass compared to the tube off mode. But extremely hard to tell since the volume changes instantly with the different modes. I might prefer using low gain compared to high gain simply because you get a bit better volume control (doesn’t go loud as quick).

In conclusion, this is a damn powerful amp that will drive anything and without any issues with noise nor hiss with the most sensitive iems. While this does count as a tube amp (well, hybrid) you should think of it more as an SSD amp with "tube" glow (LED).

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #879 of 916
IMG_20230328_160242.jpg
IMG_20230328_192150.jpg
IMG_20230328_192248.jpg
IMG_20230328_201930.jpg
IMG_20230328_201830.jpg
KAEI TAP 2 with Moondrop Dawn (3.5mm) on OnePlus 8T using UAPP
(SELF BOUGHT)
Sensitive/low-impedance test:

Softears Volume (5ohm, 123.7db/vrms@1khz) :

(TUBE ON, LOW GAIN) Can still hear the music (extremely low volume though) with the amp being on at 0 volume, which is kind of annoying. The volume wheel´s volume (no pun intended) control is excellent and allows for very fine adjustments. ZERO NOISE AT ALL even without music playing, although if you turn off the music and raise the volume to around 12 o´clock there is some noise

(TUBE OFF, LOW GAIN) 0 volume still has some music playing although slightly louder as with the TUBE OFF the volume overall is actually louder. Control over the volume is pretty much the same in that it has excellent control BUT since it is louder overall, it does mean that it gets louder quicker. No tube noise from it even with the wheel turned all the way to the max (no music playing obviously) but there is some very slight hiss in the background at that point which isn’t really a problem since no sane person will listen that loud.

(TUBE OFF, HIGH GAIN) Same as before but even worse volume control since it gets quick really fast. Hiss is more present and at ALL volumes while at max volume the hiss is much louder.

(TUBE ON, HIGH GAIN) same as with tube OFF, there is now hiss present at all volumes AND at 9 o´clock the tube noise kicks in. Volume control is slightly better though as the volume is a bit lower than without the tube activated as mentioned before.

Comment: You will have no issues AT ALL using sensitive and low-impedance transducers.

POWER test:

Ruler (Planar, 50ohm, <92db):

(Tube ON, LOW GAIN): Cannot hear music at 0 volume. Playing at around 1-2 o´clock. ZERO noise at all volumes and no hiss.

(TUBE OFF, LOW GAIN): Playing at around 12-1 o´clock.

(TUBE OFF, HIGH GAIN): playing at around 10-11 o´clock. No noise nor hiss at all.

(TUBE ON, HIGH GAIN) playing at around 11-12 o´clock. No hiss at all, tube noise is very slightly present at max volume.

DIY 500ohm BUD (500ohm):

(TUBE ON, LOW GAIN): Cannot hear music at 0 volume. Playing at around 12-1 o ´clock. At max volume, there is an extremely tiny tube noise that is present.

(TUBE OFF, Low GAIN): Playing at around 11 o´clock. No hiss nor noise at all.

(TUBE OFF, HIGH GAIN): Can hear music at 0 volume slightly. Playing at around 9-10 o´clock. No hiss nor noise at all.

(TUBE ON, HIGH GAIN): Can hear music at 0 volume very slightly. Playing at around 10 o´clock. Tube noise is present a bit at max volume, no hiss.

Comment: Can drive pretty much anything.

Source memeing: Tube on or off honestly really doesn’t sound that different too me, the Tube on mode might be very slightly smoother, warmer and with looser/slower bass compared to the tube off mode. But extremely hard to tell since the volume changes instantly with the different modes. I might prefer using low gain compared to high gain simply because you get a bit better volume control (doesn’t go loud as quick).

In conclusion, this is a damn powerful amp that will drive anything and without any issues with noise nor hiss with the most sensitive iems. While this does count as a tube amp (well, hybrid) you should think of it more as an SSD amp with tube glow.
...tube glow. Backlight LEDs in there, same as Tap-1. Doesn't look like they're using the bubble wrap vibration cushion used in Tap-1. Nice short review.

Mar 28, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #880 of 916
...tube glow. Backlight LEDs in there, same as Tap-1. Doesn't look like they're using the bubble wrap vibration cushion used in Tap-1. Nice short review.
yeah, its probably LED.

Apr 14, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #881 of 916
I got my little bear bx4 direct from the manufacturer for around 50usd shipped, spent 3 dollars on silicon rings and 21usd on a pair of bb 2134a. I just love this amp. Photos coming. Only thing the power plug is proprietary. It has a red light on the plug when charging and turns green when done.

Hope you enjoyed the photos.

Attachments

• 2023-04-14_10-54-03.jpg
    2023-04-14_10-54-03.jpg
    918.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-04-14_10-50-21.jpg
    2023-04-14_10-50-21.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 2023-04-14_10-48-13.jpg
    2023-04-14_10-48-13.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 2023-04-14_10-47-32.jpg
    2023-04-14_10-47-32.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2023-04-14_10-49-26.jpg
    2023-04-14_10-49-26.jpg
    717.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-04-14_10-48-49.jpg
    2023-04-14_10-48-49.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 14, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #882 of 916
I got my little bear bx4 direct from the manufacturer for around 50usd shipped, spent 3 dollars on silicon rings and 21usd on a pair of bb 2134a. I just love this amp. Photos coming. Only thing the power plug is proprietary. It has a red light on the plug when charging and turns green when done.

Hope you enjoyed the photos.

The power supply isn't proprietary to Little Bear - I was able to buy (and use) a spare generic 12V power supply that has the internal charge control circuit. Can't remember whether I ordered on Amazon, eBay, or AliExpress.

Apr 20, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #883 of 916
picked up this new balanced tube unit and just wanted to drop a few early impressions; i guess it's called GAD ADV?

-very briefly tested balanced mode with hm1000 and r70x to ensure it works. then left to run for a little while.
-gets extremely hot in balanced mode. i couldn't lift it with hands until turning it off and letting it cool down. it's pretty much impossible to stack it when it's running balanced. later i will try attaching a small cooling fan made to cool down phones while gaming that i've been using to cool down my dsds ak4499.
-only one tube is used/lit up in single-ended mode
-there are two swappable op amps in place, not one as per the description. makes sense there needs to be two since it's a balanced unit. replaced cheap stock lme op amps with oracle ii (not pictured).
-it's relatively easy to access the board and op amps but the battery is attached right on top with thick double side tape pieces. i was able to carefully peal off the battery with sticking a small blade between the tape and the battery; then "attached" it back on top after op amp replacement.
-i wanted to attach silicone rings onto the tubes as well but they're very well mounted already and there wasn't space to do that.
-it's very strong. there are no gain levels so the target is clearly low sensitivity and high impedance headphones.
-my first proper sessions was with creative sxfi dongle and creative aurvana live se headphones in single-ended mode.
-creative dongle was used as dac/pre-amp. not having full line in allowed to me have some proper play on the volume knob for cal se which are not hard to drive.
-i like using this combo+headphones combo on its own and know it's signature pretty well so i wanted to see how adding gad adv in the middle would impact things.
-with double-amping or what not, the sound was still very clear and large. very low perceived noise.
-creative dongle has sxfi dsp mode that sounds like far field + subbass boost to me. this processing meant for gaming makes the staging very impactful and holographic. it doesn't work well with most headphones but cal se are tuned for this dsp. with gad adv in the mix and dsp turned on i was shocked how low distortion was. it could go very loud with powerful slam and note weight without cracking or coarseness.
-for a portable tube amp to be able to handle dsp so well is remarkable.

20230419_165028.jpg

20230419_174355.jpg

May 3, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #884 of 916
Hi all, I am considering little bear b4-x VS kaei tap2
1. B4-x: What's the characteristics of 5899 VS 5784 tube?
2. Kaei tap 1 is much much expensive than tap2, how much of a difference except it's a balanced output?
3. There are two types of Op amp to be chosen for tap2, opa2132 VS muses02, characteristics difference?
4. Which one is better, b4-x or tap2? Which gives more power?

May 3, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #885 of 916
Hi all, I am considering little bear b4-x VS kaei tap2
1. B4-x: What's the characteristics of 5899 VS 5784 tube?
2. Kaei tap 1 is much much expensive than tap2, how much of a difference except it's a balanced output?
3. There are two types of Op amp to be chosen for tap2, opa2132 VS muses02, characteristics difference?
4. Which one is better, b4-x or tap2? Which gives more power?

For #1 - Back in 2021, I noticed that the supply of JAN5899 tubes had "dried up", and the portable amp manufacturers had switched to JAN5784 tubes.
I posted about it on Page 45 of this thread - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/portable-tube-amp-from-china.626237/post-16095516

For #2 - The TAP-1S is fully balanced, and has signal phase splitters, which allow either single-ended or differential inputs to produce either single-ended or differential outputs. This is unlike some other portable amps which will only produce the output that's the same as the input. The TAP-1S also has the External "Desktop" Power Supply, which allows it to produce almost 2.5W/ch output. The TAP-2 produces 0.5W/ch output.

For #3 - I don't have any OPA2132 op-amps, but I do have MUSES02 op-amps, and suspect that the MUSES02 would have a "warmer" sound.

For #4 - If I didn't need balanced output, and wanted a small tube hybrid Amp - for convenience of use, I would select the TAP-2 - since it uses a standard USB-C for charging, and the B4-X uses a special 12.6V Lithium-Ion charger. The B4-X can not be used while it's charging - when the 12.6V input is connected, a relay disconnects the DC-DC supplies that power the tubes & op-amps, so the battery can be charged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back