Portable tube amp from china?
Jun 7, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #856 of 916
What op-amps are those?
They look like Sparkos SS3602.
They're Lusya OP8802. They were a bit too tall so I had to cut the pins down to get them to fit.

Hb9c048150e0a470d97ec95625f546bcbw.jpg

Jun 7, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #858 of 916
Just wanted to say nice job on modifying the plastic window to fit the Burson V6.
thanks. i discarded the plastic window and used a hand file to remove the extra metal that protrudes to keep the window in place. without filing down that extra metal, V6 doesn't fit straight up. then, i applied clear packaging tape instead of the plastic window to protect the board against dust and to add some stability to the pair of V6 as well. basic but works :L3000:.

Jun 7, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #860 of 916
Do they fit in without any modifications to the B4-X? have you compared them with the Burson v5i?

NOTE: I have the first generation of the B4-X, which does not have the relay near the "front" of the circuit board.
Since I built new tube carrier boards (for my B4-X), that move the tubes closer to the edges of the case - there's plenty of space for wider devices, like the Sparkos, or Lusya.
Otherwise, one of Sparkos was touching a tube, while the other just barely cleared.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #862 of 916
Thanks. I saw your previous post with a picture of the tube carrier. Without your mod are the Sparkos usable at all? Or is your mod necessary?

Yes - they fit, but one side was tight.
I do not know whether the current B4-X has the same amount of space between the tubes and the sockets.

Jun 7, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #863 of 916
Could've find any reviews of the op8802. But there are several glowing reviews of the Sparkos ss3602. Does anyone know if the Sparkos will fit inside the B4-X?
SS3602 dimensions.jpg

SS3602 dimensions

OP8802 dimensions.jpg

OP8802 dimensions

SS3602 slightly smaller width 13.75mm vs OP8802 width 14.5mm.
SS3602 slightly lower height 13.87mm vs OP8802 height 16mm.

For the OP8802, the pins were long and would not insert flush, so I cut approx. 2mm off each pin. Height-wise it is a tight fit and the top surface of the amps touch the plastic window and do feel hot (not blistering hot) against the plastic window. I tried to remove the factory socket, but it was very tight and would not budge. I didn't want to destroy the op amps trying to remove the sockets, so just cut the pins a little shorter. I think the fit of the SS3602 will be about the same as the OP8802.

The electronic spec for both SS3602 and OP8802 are very similar.

I have the newer version of the B4-X. The OP8802 is slightly wider, but not touching the tubes.

Edit:
right channel clearance.jpg

Right channel clearance

left channel clearance.jpg

Left channel clearance

top clearance.jpg

Top clearance

For top clearance, I put a ruler across the top and bottom panels. It shows some clearance, but when you reattach the top clamshell cover (with window), the window area actually touches the op amp components, at least that is what happen to mine. Before I cut the pins down I could not put the top clamshell cover on. The window is held in place with double stick tape and the op amps popped the bottom edge of the window up, separating the edge away from the double stick tape. If you run into that problem you may need to use thin double stick foam like what you get with 3M Command hooks to space the window out a little to get some clearance.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #865 of 916
SS3602 dimensions.jpg
SS3602 dimensions

OP8802 dimensions.jpg
OP8802 dimensions

SS3602 slightly smaller width 13.75mm vs OP8802 width 14.5mm.
SS3602 slightly lower height 13.87mm vs OP8802 height 16mm.

For the OP8802, the pins were long and would not insert flush, so I cut approx. 2mm off each pin. Height-wise it is a tight fit and the top surface of the amps touch the plastic window and do feel hot (not blistering hot) against the plastic window. I tried to remove the factory socket, but it was very tight and would not budge. I didn't want to destroy the op amps trying to remove the sockets, so just cut the pins a little shorter. I think the fit of the SS3602 will be about the same as the OP8802.

The electronic spec for both SS3602 and OP8802 are very similar.

I have the newer version of the B4-X. The OP8802 is slightly wider, but not touching the tubes.

Edit:
right channel clearance.jpg
Right channel clearance

left channel clearance.jpg
Left channel clearance

top clearance.jpg
Top clearance

For top clearance, I put a ruler across the top and bottom panels. It shows some clearance, but when you reattach the top clamshell cover (with window), the window area actually touches the op amp components, at least that is what happen to mine. Before I cut the pins down I could not put the top clamshell cover on. The window is held in place with double stick tape and the op amps popped the bottom edge of the window up, separating the edge away from the double stick tape. If you run into that problem you may need to use thin double stick foam like what you get with 3M Command hooks to space the window out a little to get some clearance.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for the detailed specs and the photos. Very helpful indeed. I'll give the SS3602 a try as they are slightly smaller.

Jun 9, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #866 of 916
As much as I like the sound from the OP8802 discrete op amps I had to pull them and put the Ti NE5532P op amps back in (for now). The OP8802 started to have random oscillations which just ruin the listening experience. I would probably have to add 100nF decoupling caps across +Vcc to Gnd and -Vcc to Gnd as close to the chips as possible to fix the oscillations. I'm thinking of going with LME49720 op amps which are high quality audio amps. Of course they aren't as 'sexy' looking as discrete op amps, but I think the sound will be very good.

Oct 11, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #868 of 916
Oct 11, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #869 of 916
Are there good quality shielded aux cable for the b4-x, preferably a bit longer, the supplied cable I feel is bit noisy as it picks interference from things like mob phones etc.
The problem most likely isn't the cable, it's the tubes. Any longer cable will be useful for keeping your phone away from the amp, because it's tube microphonics that are the issue.

Oct 17, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #870 of 916
The problem most likely isn't the cable, it's the tubes. Any longer cable will be useful for keeping your phone away from the amp, because it's tube microphonics that are the issue.
B4-X tubes are picking up wifi interference. In some of the earliest posts some guys were lining the case with copper foil to block wifi interference. When I stack the B4-X with Shanling M3X and turn on the wifi I can hear the noise caused by the tubes. Noise goes away after turning off the wifi. I’m gonna have to reread those posts for the copper foil lining mod myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back