Portable tube amp from china?
Apr 24, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #226 of 916
You need an appropriate sized torx screwdriver. I want to say T6 but it might be a T5, I think the correct size is in this thread and if not I can make sure to get the correct one. Then 4 screws on the corners of the front panel, the one with the knob. You carefully slide the panel, attached circuit board and battery out by about 2 inches. The most difficult thing will be prying out the existing opamp if you don't have a DIP removal tool. Careful, slow, gentle prying with a small flat blade screwdriver works fine. You then must orient the new chip properly. There's a semi circular depression on the DIP8 socket and on the opamp (new Burson or old stock one) that you align in the same direction. Push firmly and gently to seat the opamp. Then you push the battery, board and front panel back into place and replace the screws. Probably take you 10 minutes, 8 of which are just you being extrda cautious because you haven't done anything like that before.

Honestly if you know what you're doing and have the correct torx screwdriver handy it really is literally a 2 or 3 minute operation.

I'm pretty sure there are even pictures and a description of exactly what to do here on head-fi. If not this thread then the Xduoo XD-05 thread. Topology wise the cases and board, battery and where to place the opamp are very similar so instructions for one will be good enough to do the other. Last place to look is the Burson V5i review thread. The directions are somewhere here.
Firstly, thanks for such a detailed reply. I think it's doable :)

What sort of improvements could I expect? Just thinking, it looks like such a small chip, I couldn't imagine it would have a large impact - but please excuse my ignorance.

Apr 24, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #227 of 916
Firstly, thanks for such a detailed reply. I think it's doable :)

What sort of improvements could I expect? Just thinking, it looks like such a small chip, I couldn't imagine it would have a large impact - but please excuse my ignorance.
LOL, I was thinking as I wrote it that there wasn't that much detail but honestly there really isn't anything to doing this.

I've seen the change to the sound for the Burson V5i as holographic and I think that's a reasonable attempt to describe the change in sound. Bass is tighter, more controlled. Some of the music I listen to has alternate percussion, things like hand drums, and you really can hear the human element in it with the V5i. You can hear the slide of a palm across the surface to change the pitch or duration of a strike. The striking of the body of the instrument to create a thunk. You can hear the same type of thing with an acoustic guitar player striking the body of the guitar. There's just a bit of extra definition to these sounds that makes them sound so much more present. Higher up in the vocal and mid range groups of instruments like in a classical work just seem to be just a bit more distinct, the layers just a bit more separate. The human voice stands out just a bit more.

Its a bit difficult to describe but easy to hear.

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #228 of 916
LOL, I was thinking as I wrote it that there wasn't that much detail but honestly there really isn't anything to doing this.

I've seen the change to the sound for the Burson V5i as holographic and I think that's a reasonable attempt to describe the change in sound. Bass is tighter, more controlled. Some of the music I listen to has alternate percussion, things like hand drums, and you really can hear the human element in it with the V5i. You can hear the slide of a palm across the surface to change the pitch or duration of a strike. The striking of the body of the instrument to create a thunk. You can hear the same type of thing with an acoustic guitar player striking the body of the guitar. There's just a bit of extra definition to these sounds that makes them sound so much more present. Higher up in the vocal and mid range groups of instruments like in a classical work just seem to be just a bit more distinct, the layers just a bit more separate. The human voice stands out just a bit more.

Its a bit difficult to describe but easy to hear.
Ordered myself the Burson V5i - everywhere seems to really regard it quite well. Also looking at replacing the battery in the unit, it doesnt seem to use a particulary efficient design so I can swap it for a much larger capacity to get more playing time.

Apr 30, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #229 of 916
2A152BF3-9D5C-46A1-B62E-3654ACDB9643.jpeg
E0C617D3-B89D-4C17-AD50-F8D0B8443136.jpeg
Aaand, the V5i is in. For anyone considering it, just do it. The difference is insane, super easy to fit too. Just be careful not to hit the tubes when you’re prying out the chip.

May 1, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #231 of 916
… Aaand, the V5i is in. For anyone considering it, just do it. The difference is insane, super easy to fit too. Just be careful not to hit the tubes when you’re prying out the chip.
Glad to hear that you decided to give it a try. It really is simple to do and sounds much better than what is in there. Hopefully I'll have my amp review up tomorrow with pictures for anyone else worried like you were about swapping the opamp. I decided to add a how to install it section with a spoiler to keep it out of the review itself yet there for those concerned about the difficulty or risk of doing a swap.

May 3, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #232 of 916
--

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #233 of 916
Glad to hear that you decided to give it a try. It really is simple to do and sounds much better than what is in there. Hopefully I'll have my amp review up tomorrow with pictures for anyone else worried like you were about swapping the opamp. I decided to add a how to install it section with a spoiler to keep it out of the review itself yet there for those concerned about the difficulty or risk of doing a swap.

hi im new to this tube amp thing.. so i ordered my B4 today.. but im intending to pair it up with my sony XZP. i knw i will have some Electronic interference, but is there a way to eliminate it? ( Ex- having a foil barrier between the phone and the amp? XD i knw i sound pretty stupid here )

May 3, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #234 of 916
hi im new to this tube amp thing.. so i ordered my B4 today.. but im intending to pair it up with my sony XZP. i knw i will have some Electronic interference, but is there a way to eliminate it? ( Ex- having a foil barrier between the phone and the amp? XD i knw i sound pretty stupid here )
Yeah, put your phone on airplane mode and all interference disappears. Foil doesn't really do anything, distance helps but emphasis on 'helps' as it doesn't eliminate the noise. I upgraded the cable to a shielded one and that helped a bit as well. Best bet is to turn on airplane mode, then you will have no interference.

May 15, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #235 of 916
I just got yesterday my little bear B4 from Amazon after watching the raving z reviews but I noticed that the tubes are different from his review.

I expected Raytheon but I have Jan 5899. Are these tubes the same brand and if not how they compare with the original Raytheon?

How easy is to change rubes with this unit? I am afraid my DIY skills are not good enough for tube rolling for this amp.

I have other preamplifier from this company where is very easy to roll rubes. I got some amazing NoS british tubes I changed the power supply to an ifi ipower one and the result is wonderful.

But I am dissapointed not having Raytheon on this and before i commit in opamp rolling I need some advice from you.

Really appreciated and many thanks in advance.

May 15, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #236 of 916
I just got yesterday my little bear B4 from Amazon after watching the raving z reviews but I noticed that the tubes are different from his review.

I expected Raytheon but I have Jan 5899. Are these tubes the same brand and if not how they compare with the original Raytheon?

How easy is to change rubes with this unit? I am afraid my DIY skills are not good enough for tube rolling for this amp.

I have other preamplifier from this company where is very easy to roll rubes. I got some amazing NoS british tubes I changed the power supply to an ifi ipower one and the result is wonderful.

But I am dissapointed not having Raytheon on this and before i commit in opamp rolling I need some advice from you.

Really appreciated and many thanks in advance.
Did you perhaps even try googling 'JAN 5899' before asking on here?

May 15, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #237 of 916
Did you perhaps even try googling 'JAN 5899' before asking on here?
Ok apologies then. I quickly Googled 5988 or something else and could not find any information. I searched Watford valves store which is where I am shoping valves and could not find replacement for these valves. I am much happier now.

I can refrase my questions then: is easy to roll valves or replace valves here and do you need any specific tool to do it? What guys you suggest for an upgrade?

In addition, Is the V5i the best upgrade possible or are they any other better options out there?

May 15, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #238 of 916
Ok apologies then. I quickly Googled 5988 or something else and could not find any information. I searched Watford valves store which is where I am shoping valves and could not find replacement for these valves. I am much happier now.

I can refrase my questions then: is easy to roll valves or replace valves here and do you need any specific tool to do it? What guys you suggest for an upgrade?

In addition, Is the V5i the best upgrade possible or are they any other better options out there?
Easy enough, all you need are the usual tools for soldering small circuits - as for recommendations, I'd suggest staying away from the tubes (they're good) and focusing on replacing the OP with a V5i, which is a fantastic upgrade. You could replace it with a V6 by cutting out the perspex front window to enable it to fit. This should sound better, but you'd lose the form factor, so it's up to you. I'd recommend the V5i whole-heartedly though.

May 15, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #239 of 916
Easy enough, all you need are the usual tools for soldering small circuits - as for recommendations, I'd suggest staying away from the tubes (they're good) and focusing on replacing the OP with a V5i, which is a fantastic upgrade. You could replace it with a V6 by cutting out the perspex front window to enable it to fit. This should sound better, but you'd lose the form factor, so it's up to you. I'd recommend the V5i whole-heartedly though.
So many thanks mate. These American tubes are way to good for me then and the v6 upgrade is way above my skills, tools and determination.

I will do the V5i then. One other thing I noticed is that when I touched the connection in my headphones the music stops for a second. Is that bad unit or normal with this unit?

In any case, I will test my unit for a while and if everything good I am doing the V5i upgrade, this upgrade I believe I can manage .

May 15, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #240 of 916
So many thanks mate. These American tubes are way to good for me then and the v6 upgrade is way above my skills, tools and determination.

I will do the V5i then. One other thing I noticed is that when I touched the connection in my headphones the music stops for a second. Is that bad unit or normal with this unit?

In any case, I will test my unit for a while and if everything good I am doing the V5i upgrade, this upgrade I believe I can manage .
Music should not stop at all. One thing that isnt clear with the little bear is when you plug your headphone and input in, you need to push quite firmly to get a 'click' for the full connection, then its rock solid. Try pushing it in a bit more so you get the click, and then it shouldn't cut out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back