Portable tube amp from china?
Sep 4, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #289 of 916
Im still getting an intermittent connection with my B4. Seems to be a common problem. Are they all just like this???
Not at all, my B4 has worked flawlessly for around a year now.
They are dead easy to open up and take a look to see if there is a faulty soldering point on the headphone jack. It’s all I can think of that may be an issue.
I hope you can sort it

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #290 of 916
Im still getting an intermittent connection with my B4. Seems to be a common problem. Are they all just like this???
One other thing I noticed is that when I touched the connection in my headphones the music stops for a second. Is that bad unit or normal with this unit?

Music should not stop at all. One thing that isnt clear with the little bear is when you plug your headphone and input in, you need to push quite firmly to get a 'click' for the full connection, then its rock solid. Try pushing it in a bit more so you get the click, and then it shouldn't cut out.

I had a similar problem in the beginning but one member helped me with his advice copied above. Just make certain that the connection is firm. My unit so far is flawless and after the V5i upgrade is very possibly a giant killer.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #291 of 916
-Anyone has the circuit diagram
photo_2018-09-19_14-19-03 (2).jpg

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #293 of 916
Anyone changed the tubes for a different manufacturer ? Heard the nos GE are supposed to be good, I intend to strip it down and replace the solder for silver and see what components can be upgraded, I know its overkill but I like messing with stuff.
I have not, but I’ve thought about it. Let us know the results when you do the swap. One thing, be careful with the traces on the board, they are pretty easy to lift off. I’ve changed the caps on mine and on a second pass (2nd swap) I lost a trace even though I was being pretty careful about it. Good luck! :)

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #294 of 916
I have not, but I’ve thought about it. Let us know the results when you do the swap. One thing, be careful with the traces on the board, they are pretty easy to lift off. I’ve changed the caps on mine and on a second pass (2nd swap) I lost a trace even though I was being pretty careful about it. Good luck! :)

Thanks, I've got a full electronics lab at my disposal so that won't be a problem. Swapped the op amp for a V5i dual already but if there is a chance of improving the tubes I'm all in for that ! It's got half decent components in already for the price but nothing wrong with a little play with it, what caps did you swap and what improvement have you noticed ?

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #295 of 916
what caps did you swap and what improvement have you noticed ?
Try to change the filament power supply scheme and you will be pleasantly surprised.
Besides, I had to change the output opamp to muses8920.
The sound became more spacious and deeper. :L3000:
LBB4_PMOD.PNG

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #296 of 916
Thanks, I've got a full electronics lab at my disposal so that won't be a problem. Swapped the op amp for a V5i dual already but if there is a chance of improving the tubes I'm all in for that ! It's got half decent components in already for the price but nothing wrong with a little play with it, what caps did you swap and what improvement have you noticed ?
These are the caps I’ve got in there now with a Sparkos opamp. The difference from stock would be a perceived spaciousness and bit of bass improvement (that’s aside from the opamp change).
1D6F2B2F-164E-4C7D-9154-21BC20926836.jpeg

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #297 of 916
These are the caps I’ve got in there now with a Sparkos opamp. The difference from stock would be a perceived spaciousness and bit of bass improvement (that’s aside from the opamp change).

Thanks for the schematic I'll have a look see what else I can do with it, I'm in the process of trying to prise a pair of Mullard 5899's and 4 GE 5899's off a friend of a friend who's got some nos stuff from his radio ham days, word has it he's got a load of hifi gear vintage and mint in a lock up he's collect over the years and wants to sell stuff due to a downsizing.

Oct 11, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #300 of 916
Noticed the trimmer pots marked did you have a play with them ?
If you refer to my picture, Not at all I am not a dyi guy just changed the opamp which is very easy with the right tools.

In my Chinese cheap preamp at my main system is so easy to change valves so I tried both GE and Mullard and I liked Mullard so much that I am biased in favour of them. I do not even have the tools to change them for the B4 although I am very tempted.

I am pretty sure that dyi capable people like you can improve the sound even further by substituting better components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back