Portable tube amp from china?
May 17, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #181 of 916
Well, I think the goal, is to get the tubes to flood in as much as you can without creating distortion. Each Op-amp is a little tiny bit different. The more you "lessen" the trim pots (counter clockwise) the colder the sound. The more you open them up, the warmer and more open they sound (tubes...voltage..not sure). You can do it with your earphones on and with the unit on with a tiny screwdriver. Tune it by ear. You'll be able to hear when it starts to distort, then dial it back. If you are at a point of balance now, make a note of where your trims are at then incrementally increase each pot the same amount. If you get out of balance, you'll hear it. You may be out of balance to begin with since I don't know how well they tune these from the factory. Again, you'll have to trust your ears. And when I say incrementally, I mean like an 1/8 - 1/4 turn of the trim pots. Adjusting these does make a big difference. From the factory, mine were turned down about a 1/4 on the low side. My guess would be it's on purpose so as to not get any complaints of distortion or extraneous noise.
Very consice and excellent info, thank you. This is my first 'dip' into the tube sound and I was a little apprehensive of changing anything, but now you have explained how to alter these I'll be straight on it as soon as I get in from work.
I'll report back how I get on :beerchug:

May 17, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #182 of 916
@golov17 Hey would you mind letting me know what earbuds you think sound good with the B4 and your setup? Right now, I actually think that the Toneking TP16 sounds best above even my more expensive buds (I actually like it better than Mojito, even though I like that one too). I know you've got a lot of buds and give me some good thoughtful suggestions.

May 17, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #183 of 916
[QUOTE = "silverfishla, сообщение: 13496337, член: 460493"] [USER = 404367] @ golov17 [/ USER] Эй, вы не могли бы дать мне знать, что вы думаете Earbuds звук хороший с В4 и вашей установки? Прямо сейчас, я на самом деле думаю, что Toneking TP16 звучит лучше даже выше моих более дорогих почек (я на самом деле, как это лучше, чем Mojito, хотя мне нравится, что один тоже). Я знаю, что у вас есть много бутонов и дать мне некоторые хорошие вдумчивые предложения. [/ QUOTE]
Роза Мася, Ubiquo es903, В. Е. Asura, Boarseman mx98, etc.. With bright mids and more detailed sounds, than Zen2.0, K's300, Dunu etc..

May 30, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #184 of 916
I think I paid something like $65 total for the Op-amp with shipping from Australia. I bought it straight from the Burson website. I too, was suprised that this amp sounded as good as it does. The original op-amp sounds good as do others in the B4. The Burson though, is quite different in that it makes vocals very sweet sounding and has great separation and is very full sounding. It is quite silent and is less "rough" sounding that the BB op-amps. I have also tried the Muse02 in the amp and it also sounds very good, but is more focused on the mids (and mid-bass) than the Burson. This can be a great thing, but for me, in this amp, clogs up the middle a bit. I think the Burson is a better compliment with the "tubish" sound of the B4. Warm but clear and good bottom end.

Hi, could I ask which Burson Opamp you are using. I'm new to this so its a bit confusing.

Is it the V5i Dual SS?

And do I understand it correctly that I only need one of those, and I replace the chip that is visible through the screen?

May 30, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #185 of 916
Hi, could I ask which Burson Opamp you are using. I'm new to this so its a bit confusing.
Is it the V5i Dual SS?

And do I understand it correctly that I only need one of those, and I replace the chip that is visible through the screen?
I got my v5i dual, its sounds amazing with b3 and 400 Ohms earbuds P70527-192209-001.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #186 of 916

Is it the V5i Dual SS?

Yes, the V5i dual is the one to get.

I got my v5i dual, its sounds amazing with b3 and 400 Ohms earbuds
I knew you would love it! How could you not, right? :wink:

May 30, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #189 of 916
Waiting Walnut v2s for testing with Burson OPA too ))
I have a V2s coming too and am curious to hear the Burson in it. I just bought one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Discre...456047?hash=item20efc284af:g:EqYAAOSwCZ5Vfdzn one late night in a bit of an impulse buy. I'm not sure if it's going to fit or work in the B4 or Zishan or Walnut. It got some great reviews and one even said better than the Burson. We'll see because it's doing some things that a regular op-amp isn't. It'll be a mystery, hopefully a good one.

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #193 of 916
I recently ordered the Little Bear B4 for use with my Agptek/Benjie S5 and it will be my first headphone amp. I was mainly interested in the B4 because of the tubes and the option of using higher ohm cans.

What volume level do you guys set your DAP's at when using with the B4? I mostly set my S5's volume level between 3/5 depending on the music I'm playing. I know with digital output its better to max out the audio output to maintain bitrates and dynamic range, but I'm not sure the same applies to analogue signals as well?

Aug 9, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #194 of 916
i am using the b4+ single tube with my onkyo dpx1, i can tell you that i just turned the volume about 1/10. it is already loud and clear.
i changed to use the LME49720, the sound quality was instantly better. and i will be testing the Burson V5i Dual soon.

Aug 9, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #195 of 916
i am using the b4+ single tube with my onkyo dpx1, i can tell you that i just turned the volume about 1/10. it is already loud and clear.
i changed to use the LME49720, the sound quality was instantly better. and i will be testing the Burson V5i Dual soon.

You set the volume of your onkyo 1/10? I purchased a OPA2604AP to try out with the B4 as it was pretty cheap, but I was recently looking at discrete op amps and I came across Burson V5i . I've never really messed around with
op amps before but if I can hear an improvement or change in sound quality I might eventually consider something discrete like the V5i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back