portable setup im looking to buy, any advice
Oct 31, 2012 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thasowl

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, NOOB here.
im looking to get a new setup for listening music on the go (street and subway).
so im on a budget basically and my first setup idea is made of this :

for the source gear : sansa clip zip (cheap, small, good sound, flac, and the ergo seems good)
also im thinking of an amp : so the popular pa2v2 seems perfect (good reviews, size ok, affordable...)

where i'm kind of unsettled is on the headphones, i read the guide / topics etc but i want to ask you directly :
i was first thinking of the grado (either sr60i or 80i), but i didnt quite understood if it was a good heaphone for commuting etc. i mean i dont want the music to be heared by everyone around me at the point it's annoying for them (when im in the subway , at the library etc) and i want to enjoy the music in noisy environnment ?

so what do you think about all of this together ?
and if the headphone im interested in is not quite suitable for my use, what would you recommend (less than 130d) (not too big also) ?

to say a little bit more about what its going to be used for : i really listen to all genres of music : from weird noise to old blues, baroque music, old school detroit techno to modern berghain style techno, jazz or pop.

thanks in advance and thanks for all the knowledge you already brought me.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 6
The Sansa Clip+, REO are great combo for detailed soundquality and isolation or you can buy over headphones like Sony ZX700, JVC ON EAR and Panasonic DJS400. BTW Sony new S series walkman 8GB are also very detailed, powerful sounding DAPs and JVC FX3X will match well if need overall tight punchy bass sound.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 6
Super budget setup:  Sansa Clip+ ($55) & Philips SHE3590 earphones ($15).  Under $75 and you will have great sound and portability.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 6
Definitely stay away from grado.

Get something with isolation, plenty of people will chime in with suggestions, I'm not really up to date on closed headphones.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 6
The Grado SR60, SR80 are great open back headphones but provide no isotion and others peoples can hear because sound leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back