Portable Rig for iPhone 4S
Feb 27, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #18 of 32
For the Fiio E7, you can only use it as an amp with the iPhone 4S. You won't be able to use the DAC portion. Personally I tried the E7 and I wasn't impressed. I tried the D-Zero too and wasn't impressed with that either. This is with my Unique Melody SE530x8 custom IEMs. At least to my ears from memory ('cos I tested the Fiio 2 months ago), what came out of the E7 sounded minimally better than straight out of the iPhone. The Go-DAP to me was miles ahead in terms of range, and extensions. But the Fiio's are much cheaper than my upgraded Go-DAP. For me, though the difference was great enough that the Go-DAP demonstrated it's value. Personally for me, I wouldn't want to spend the $90+ price for the Fiio for a minimal improvement - I'd rather save that $90 and listen straight out of the 4S.

I didn't test the E11, and can't speak for that.

Take note though, the Go-DAP isn't for everyone - my personal opinion is that most will not invest so much in the Go-DAP primarily because of it's short-sightedness in the form factor being locked to the iPhone 4/4S. When the iPhone 5 comes out, the Go-DAP, in my opinion, becomes obsolete. Of course you can use the iPod cable extension however aesthetically it's obvious it's a "patch" job.

But if you're :-

1) looking for a nicely integrated iPhone 4/S solution
2) now (with good SQ naturally),
3) don't care about it as a strategic investment (or if you're happy to still use the iPhone 4/S as your music source even with newer iPhone models coming out)

then the Go-DAP is a decent solution.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #19 of 32

Quote:
For the Fiio E7, you can only use it as an amp with the iPhone 4S. You won't be able to use the DAC portion. Personally I tried the E7 and I wasn't impressed. I tried the D-Zero too and wasn't impressed with that either. This is with my Unique Melody SE530x8 custom IEMs. At least to my ears from memory ('cos I tested the Fiio 2 months ago), what came out of the E7 sounded minimally better than straight out of the iPhone. The Go-DAP to me was miles ahead in terms of range, and extensions. But the Fiio's are much cheaper than my upgraded Go-DAP. For me, though the difference was great enough that the Go-DAP demonstrated it's value. Personally for me, I wouldn't want to spend the $90+ price for the Fiio for a minimal improvement - I'd rather save that $90 and listen straight out of the 4S.

I didn't test the E11, and can't speak for that.

Take note though, the Go-DAP isn't for everyone - my personal opinion is that most will not invest so much in the Go-DAP primarily because of it's short-sightedness in the form factor being locked to the iPhone 4/4S. When the iPhone 5 comes out, the Go-DAP, in my opinion, becomes obsolete. Of course you can use the iPod cable extension however aesthetically it's obvious it's a "patch" job.

But if you're :-

1) looking for a nicely integrated iPhone 4/S solution
2) now (with good SQ naturally),
3) don't care about it as a strategic investment (or if you're happy to still use the iPhone 4/S as your music source even with newer iPhone models coming out)

then the Go-DAP is a decent solution.

Would you use E7 if you're using it with a laptop then? correct me if im wrong but E7 DAC surely > laptops onboard audio yeah? As the ratio of me listening it on my iPhone and laptop would be 50/50 anyway. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #20 of 32

Quote:
Would you use E7 if you're using it with a laptop then? correct me if im wrong but E7 DAC surely > laptops onboard audio yeah? As the ratio of me listening it on my iPhone and laptop would be 50/50 anyway. 

Sorry, I never tried the E7 DAC as a demo-ed it in a shop for about 30 mins against my Go-DAP. I don't own a laptop either and similar to the OP and to his question, I own the 4S and iPad. You may be able to find answers to your question about the E7 from a laptop in the Fiio E7 review thread though.

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #22 of 32
I've played  24/96 & 24/192 FLAC files via FLAC Player off my :-

1) iPhone 4S -> Go-DAP 4.0
2) iPhone 4S -> CLAS -> SR-71B
3) iPhone 4S -> CLAS -> (coax) -> Benchmark DAC1 Pre -> SRM-727a

All 3 setup works. I'm actually listening to (2) right now. However I don't know if somewhere along the chain if one of the digital components is down converting to 16/44 or not. I -read- that the iPad supports 24-bit but didn't read anything like that about the iPhone. Can anyone recommend me a test I could to to confirm if I'm truly getting 24-bit out of the iPhone 4S with equipment I have?

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #23 of 32
Did some research.  From what I've read, the iPhone can only up to 24/48.  The iPhone normally down converts to 16bit. But the CLAS and HP-P1 might allow 24/48 output since it bypasses the internal DAC.

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #24 of 32

Quote:
I emailed VenturedCraft about getting the White Go-Dap 4.0 with all the upgrades. Still waiting for reply. I'm located in the U.S.

I would be looking also for a white Go-Dap 4.0 with the high capacity battery and all of the upgrades suggested by  AnakChan (burr-brown OPA1612, Muse F95 & RK73), please let us know the price you got quoted.

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #25 of 32
I don't know why the price Y49,xxx (or just under Y50,000) is on my mind about the white Go-DAP. I'll try to find out where I got that pricing from. There's a high chance I got my info mixed up.

Meanwhile the white Go-DAP looks like this :-

http://venturecraft.jp/gadget_jp/category.php?category_id=9

Edit: Found out where I got the pricing (Y10,000 more for the white than the black!? Nuts) :-

http://ameblo.jp/e-earphone/entry-11174941526.html

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #26 of 32
I've just ordered a White Go-Dap 4.0 with all the new components.   The price with shipping included to TX, USA was $595USD

They seem to be in short supply because they've only made a very small production run for the white dap.

Now I have to wait for the Sennheiser HD700 to come out to join them in marriage.

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #27 of 32

Quote:
I've just ordered a White Go-Dap 4.0 with all the new components.   The price with shipping included to TX, USA was $595USD

They seem to be in short supply because they've only made a very small production run for the white dap.

Now I have to wait for the Sennheiser HD700 to come out to join them in marriage.

That will be something.  I keep looking at a Fostex HP-P1 on amazon and dreaming of HD700 to go with it.

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #28 of 32
Got myself a black edition with a new component and a new 2000mah battery, Should be here in 3 days!
o2smile.gif

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #30 of 32
I've written a rather extensive review of the Go-DAP especially comparing to the stock Muses 8820E against the OPA1612. You can find the review here :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/533084/venturecraft-go-dap-gd-04-for-iphone-4/45#post_8281365

Users who are viewing this thread

Back