Portable over the ear's for daily travel use (Budget ~ $50)
Sep 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ReDDs3D

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm thinking about buying a good budget over the ear set of cans (open or closed). I want them to be fairly portable as my main purpose for these is travel use around campus, or on the metro, in the library, etc. I used to be an iem guy for portability, but lately I've been appreciating the soundstage and acoustics of Over the ears alot more (and iem's are getting slightly fatiguing for me).

Sorry for the limiting budget of $50, I'm a poor college student :frowning2:

I would like cans with a mostly balanced sound with some emphasis on Bass (not too much), I mostly listen to alternative rock, post rock and trip hop. 

Isolation as well as sound kept in would be nice (I don't wanna disturb others when listening haha :p)

ALSO
I'm studying in Shanghai at the moment, so any chinese brands are welcome as they are easily accesible for me and very cheap. (price to performance ratio of those things is outstanding).

So far I've looked at
-Phillips SHP2700
-Panasonic RP-DJS200E
-Sennheiser HD 201
-Astrotec AS100

Thanks!

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 3
I own several headphones and I just got the Sennheiser HD201, found on amazon US for $18. I got it with prime refurbished for $12. They look fantastic, very sturdy and durable. Would last years to come. It's closed, which means it won't leak, I just tested it. I played a pop song at the highest volume next to a audio listener and she didn't hear a thing. The bass isn't very strong and overall it is very balanced. It's relatively cheap and perfect for travel. It's a good size and perfect for travel in terms of size as well Def. smaller than my studio headphones and noise canceling ones. You pretty much won't be disappointed. Don't ever spend more than $40 for cans, I have owned several $80 cans and they don't really make a difference; both Sennheisers. ( unless you spend $150+) retail of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back