portable over ear noise cancelation headphones
Sep 2, 2009 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dolifant

100+ Head-Fier
i am looking for a pair of reasonably small over ear headphones with active noise cancellation. i listen to rock, hip hop, rap, jazz. i was thinking of gettin the Beats by Dr. Dre, but am wondering if there are any other noise cancelation headphones of the same size that offer around the same features or better geared towards multiple types of music rather then just hip hop and rap.

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sennshead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser also makes some.

And were the first - I heard the prototypes in the 1980s - but then the processing equipment was a 3U, 19" rack of equipment.
biggrin.gif

Now, all that's inside the headphones.
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 14
PXC 350/450

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 14
I would say that the over-priced Bose Quiet Comfort 2 meet your criteria. Whether you like the sound or not and are willing to pay WAY too much for them is the issue. They are strong in the bass and very rolled off in the highs. My choice is the rather large Sennheisers in my portable signature. Very balanced and quite good for noise cancelling but certainly not small.

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 14
No one has said the HD25-II's, they would be great for those genre, they look like cheaper headphones( less likely to be stolen), they have a rugged construction( LEss likely to break), and some of the best passive noise canceling ever.

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 14
The ATH-ANC7b are extremely popular in this category, and well-reviewed. I have a pair in my future.

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 14
I've owned the Denon AH-NC732K, Bose, and ATH-ANC7.  If you want more noise cancellation funtcionality and better implementation of it, Bose hands down.  However, between the ATH and Denon, I preferred the Denons due to its overall better sound quality across the spectrum, plus it's a lot smaller and more compact over the ATH and also it found it a little more durable.   Battery life is great for all three models.

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
No one has said the HD25-II's, they would be great for those genre, they look like cheaper headphones( less likely to be stolen), they have a rugged construction( LEss likely to break), and some of the best passive noise canceling ever.

They are not actually noise cancelling headphones - but *do* (as you say) have excellent passive noise attenuation.

Passive attenuation works best at high frequencies, but does not do much with low frequencies.

ANR does the low frequencies well, but nothing at high frequencies.

Personally I use the HD 25-1 and mine are about 20 years old and still going strong.  I have replaced the earpads 4 or 5 times over the years, but the pads on the headband lasted 20 years and I only replaced those a few weeks ago.

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
I've owned the Denon AH-NC732K, Bose, and ATH-ANC7.  If you want more noise cancellation funtcionality and better implementation of it, Bose hands down.  However, between the ATH and Denon, I preferred the Denons due to its overall better sound quality across the spectrum, plus it's a lot smaller and more compact over the ATH and also it found it a little more durable.   Battery life is great for all three models.

Although i find the Denons better than the Boses, because they work on AAA batteries.....

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Quote:

They are not actually noise cancelling headphones - but *do* (as you say) have excellent passive noise attenuation.

Passive attenuation works best at high frequencies, but does not do much with low frequencies.

ANR does the low frequencies well, but nothing at high frequencies.

Personally I use the HD 25-1 and mine are about 20 years old and still going strong.  I have replaced the earpads 4 or 5 times over the years, but the pads on the headband lasted 20 years and I only replaced those a few weeks ago.

That's a very good point, and I think you meant they are not Active Noise Canceling. They ARE noise canceling headphones, just passive cancel( like most headphone sbut these are built so it's very good an a main feature of them.

I'm pretty sure if I was in this guys shoes I'd get the HD25's just because they are very good in all the ways I mentioned and they do a steller job at noise canceling. Plus it doesn't hurt they have no need for a battery to get the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back