++PORTABLE/IEM RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a new thread: ask for advice HERE! [Please read OP]
Oct 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #106 of 190
Hi guys , this is my first post after some time lurking around . I was wandering could any of you guys be so kind to recommend me a pair of IEMs ranging in <$100.
Im not so much of an audiophile but i appreciate nice sound differing from cheap earphones . So far ive came up with Sennheiser cx350 street II and Head-direct hifiman re0 .
My music of choice would be DnB , Rock , Classical , Pop , Trance and other sorts of electronic music . I appreciate good bass but im assured i cant get everything within my price range .
So yeah , please take some time to help me . Thanks in advance !

The RE0 is on clearance for 50 bucks...
http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=38

You should look up SE215, FXD80, W2. Have you checked Joker's IEM review?

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #107 of 190

Quote:
hello, im TF10 owner i want a iem for Punk rock, meta(every class of metal except death metal or a very nosiy), Classic music, crossover music, classic rock, etc ... i have 400 U$S at most can i spend 500u$s. Cheers.

I really enjoy my W4's for those genres. More midcentric than the TF10. With a good seal you get good bass impact for those rock songs with a good drum track and albums like Eric Clapton's Unplugged just puts you in another world.
I think TwinQY will be answering some requests later today also he might have a couple suggestions but you won't be unhappy with the W4.

Sorry, just woke up 
tongue.gif
. I'd say the W4s have a nice heft in the lower mids that gives good definition to male vocals, guitars, what have you. So yes, they'd be very nice for the genres above. They keep up nicely with fast stuff as well (post-rock, deathcore, etc) without having that sort of added "edge" with IEMs that have a slightly less thick note presentation (like your TF10s). They are also much more forgiving than the TF10s, so badly recorded metal and rock lovers rejoice! The Westones are also my hands-down favourite IEM for classical, the timbre is some of the best out of the BA IEMs that I've heard. PFE232s (20%-25% coupon at Earphonesolutions will knock them into your budget) are very proficient as well, but you sacrifice some weight in the mids for slightly more clarity. 

Quote:
Hello all,

I posted a similar post in the full-size recommendations thread, but I've come to realize that I'm after a more portable solution. I have a headset that I like for desktop use, so I was looking for the following:

Budget: I'm looking to spend no more than about $250 for the whole system, but flexible if need be.

Music: I enjoy a variety of different genres but these will likely be used with bands such as Tool, A Perfect Circle, 10 Years, R.E.M., and some classical/piano pieces. However, more listening time will be spent on the rock side than the classical side.

Needs: I'm looking at using these on the bus and to/from class so isolation and leakage are important (although leakage is more so). The headphones can be 'fun'.

After reading/watching a number of reviews, I've been looking at the FiiO E17 as a DAC/Amp. I would like one that could be used with my desktop as well, so these seemed like a good fit. That plus the LOD connector leaves about $50-100 for the headphones. I'm certainly willing to entertain other suggestions, but if you would recommend a different amp than cannot be used as a DAC, I'll need to leave ~$50 for a sound card for the desktop.

Thanks.

Thanks for the advice. Before I came here, I had been looking at the E17 and the ATH-M50s since those would be a substantial step up from what I have currently and I figured that amp could last me through more headphones once I got upgraditis. My original concern with the E11 was the inability to use it while charging, but if I have the desktop amp, I suppose that is less of an issue. Due to budget constraints, I see the following options (in no particular order):

1. ATH-M50S (new) + E17 (~$270)
  2. ATH-M50S (new) + E10 + E11 (~$250)
  3. DT 1350 (used) + E10 (~$310)
  4. DT 1350 (used) + E11 (~$295)
  5. DT 1350 (new) (~$280)
  6. DT 1350 (used) (~$230)
  7. HD-25-1 II (refurb) + E17 (~$300)
  8. HD-25-1 II (refurb) + E10 + E11 (~$280)

I do wear glasses occasionally, so the AKG550's wouldn't be my first choice. I'd rather be closer to $250 than $300, but I can always try waiting for a black friday/cyber monday sale. Would either the DT 1350s or HD-25s work unamped off of an iPhone? Out of the above options, which do you think would be best?

EDIT: After reading some other reviews, I've noticed some people complaining of comfort issues. I'm looking for headphones that I could have on for hours at a time while in my office in addition to taking them on the bus. Does this affect your recommendations any?

The M50s while they aren't as tight on the head as the other options (assuming the DT1350s have a similar fit as with the T50p, since I haven't heard them), they also isolate much less, and they get pretty sweaty and uncomfortable after an hour, so you aren't gaining much in terms of comfort anyways. I also found that while the M50s were pretty good for most music, but for classical, acoustic, the timbre just sounded off overall, there was a slight metallic tinge that messed with woodwinds and strings, everything sounded overly edge and not at all pleasant. Strangely, they did fine with rock and jazz 
confused_face_2.gif
. This metallic timbre also occurs on the HD25-1s, though to a much lesser extent. Only becomes slightly bothersome under strenuous listening. My friend wear their HD25-1 with glasses, and he claims they don't really affect much in terms of comfort. I personally think they are very comfortable despite the tightness, but others do seem to get quite bothered about it.

The SRH840s would be a good alternative to the M50 in this case.

Quote:
Hey guys. Just found this thread after looking at the buying guides and multiple other websites trying to find some new IEM, hopefully you guys can help me.

I got an old pair of Creative something IEM that i got from Sister a couple of years ago. The tips are damaged and they fit terribly in my ears.
I have been trying to find some a pair for awhile now, but what a jungle out there and i have no real idea what to look for.

I'm looking for a pair of IEM or on-ear headphones, The main criteria i have is there gotta be a iPhone 3 button Control on the wire. I dont care about the microphone, but its a must for the volume control and multi button. I have come to love the button control on my old creatives which is why im still using them i guess.
I'm not really fussed about the design if i choose a pair of IEM, but on-ear is probably a different story. I want something not to big and flashy. I like the general look of the Beats Solo and Fanny Wang(expect the ripples).

- I have a pretty big music taste, but i mostly listen to bands such as Muse, Arcade Fire and Arctic Monkeys. Some Rap and R&B is present too.
- I dont really know what type of sound im looking for, but i do like a bass that is present and i can feel, but not overpowering.
- I'm looking for something around 100$
- I will be using them with my iPhone and iPad only and mostly through Spotify and other streaming services. I'm not sure what kinda quality that is.
- Must have 3 button control and not to flamboyant design.
- I want IEM or on-ear headphones such as Beats Solo.
- I don't want a lot of sound leakage to avoid pissing off fellow passengers on the train or bus.
- If possible i want to be able to hear some traffic around me while wearing them.
- I value comfort pretty high aswell, I want them to be able to sit in my ear without me worrying about it.

I have been looking at the Klipsch S4i and A-Jays Four. What put me off on the S4i is that the 3 button control is placed where the left and right wire meet instead of the right wire normally. I normally have the wire tucked away inside my jacket to prevent it from catching on something so that was a problem for me. The A-jays looks pretty good and have "tangle free" cable but im not sure about the sound quality.

Hopefully you guys have some recommendations for me.

Thanks.

Carwen.

Might have to stretch the budget a bit, but for cans, the Philip Uptowns are stylish, with really nice sound, and a mic/remote as well. They don't leak, comfort is great, and isolation is decent. For IEMs, PFE132 pretty much has it all. Smooth, balanced sound, good for pretty much every genre, mic/remote, astounding comfort, and good isolation, without being too intrusive. 

Quote:
I was planning to get a Starkey CIEM but they have stopped to sell any in-ear products due to a license issue.
I'm not quite sure what to go for now....
I was recommended Ultimate Ears by the man in the Oslo Starkey store.
Will the UE900 be a good first "audiophile" IEM or should I go for one of the pro versions straight away ?
I like to listen to rock mostly, but I listen to a lot of blues, jazz also

If this is one of your first IEMs, I'd highly suggest against such a huge leap. I found that without taking the time to enjoy more entry level stuff, you stop appreciating the improvements that top-tier universals and customs can offer.

In the end, if your budget's set on this, I'd also recommend you look at the W4s. as I highly enjoy them for your genres. Also the PFE232, the 4.Ai, etc, would be roughly on the same level as the UE900s (I haven't heard it)

Quote:
Okay guys, I'm on a student budget and can only afford earphones ranging from £10-25 (in-ear or on-ear). Tried LOTS of different brands, including a couple of Sennheisers, and none of them beat the quality I get from my cheap Samsung Tocco in-ear hands-free set. My JVC flats are actually quite good except that the volume has to be 50%+ in order to hear high range, thus they leak terribly! The music I love is indie/pop, such as Florence and the Machine and Coldplay. I would love earphones which allow me to hear all the instruments, rather than blurring them out. I also enjoy bass, but not to the extent that it takes over the music. I've also had a listen through those Beats headphones, which were so bass-heavy they put me off over-ear headphones! 
Hope someone can help! :) 

The 8320s are dirt-cheap, with sound that I though on par with most stuff under $50. These don't do huge bass, but the midrange is very level, and the presentation is pretty big and enveloping. For something more bassy, the GR02 Bass has really nice...uhm, bass. 

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #108 of 190
Might have to stretch the budget a bit, but for cans, the Philip Uptowns are stylish, with really nice sound, and a mic/remote as well. They don't leak, comfort is great, and isolation is decent. For IEMs, PFE132 pretty much has it all. Smooth, balanced sound, good for pretty much every genre, mic/remote, astounding comfort, and good isolation, without being too intrusive. 

Thanks for the answer. I really like the design of the Phillips uptown, im afraid its too much for me though and they might be a tad to big aswell. I can't seem to find the PFE 132 in my country. Are there any other IEM's you can recommend? again thanks for the answer :)

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #109 of 190
hey guys. looking for a mid tier~ish universal iem or portable on ear/over ear. im normally an open over ear kind of guy. i have a set of hifiman he-4's that i love, but they are not portable whatsoever. i dont have a portable/transportable amp, but can build one if necessary. 

my taste in music consists of rock, folk, traditional irish, and electro indie type stuff. bands im currently listening to include mumford and sons, star****er, pretty lights, culanns hounds, fang island, etc.

i really enjoy the depth and clarity, as well as the musicality of my hifimans. they are not a reference headphone, but have quite a bit of detail. i am looking for these qualities in a portable headphone as well. i would like to enjoy a good balanced sound. deep, tight, accurate bass. not looking for a bass oriented headphone, but i wouldnt like a bass light headphone either. clear, warmish mids, and detailed, non sibilant highs. i like a wide soundstage, but am not too picky about this. as long as the soundstage is somewhat wide. not looking for sennheiser quality in this aspect. isolation is a plus, but as long as sound leakage is at a minimum i wont complain. 

im a college student, so these will be used while studying,grading homework and exams, and just jamming in general. looking for a fun comfortable headphone. comfort over long periods of time is a must

id like to keep this purchase under 200$, not including the cost of building another amp. currently im looking at hifiman re262 and fischer audio DBA 02.

what do you guys think?

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #110 of 190
bump

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #111 of 190
Quote:
hey guys. looking for a mid tier~ish universal iem or portable on ear/over ear. im normally an open over ear kind of guy. i have a set of hifiman he-4's that i love, but they are not portable whatsoever. i dont have a portable/transportable amp, but can build one if necessary. 

my taste in music consists of rock, folk, traditional irish, and electro indie type stuff. bands im currently listening to include mumford and sons, star****er, pretty lights, culanns hounds, fang island, etc.

i really enjoy the depth and clarity, as well as the musicality of my hifimans. they are not a reference headphone, but have quite a bit of detail. i am looking for these qualities in a portable headphone as well. i would like to enjoy a good balanced sound. deep, tight, accurate bass. not looking for a bass oriented headphone, but i wouldnt like a bass light headphone either. clear, warmish mids, and detailed, non sibilant highs. i like a wide soundstage, but am not too picky about this. as long as the soundstage is somewhat wide. not looking for sennheiser quality in this aspect. isolation is a plus, but as long as sound leakage is at a minimum i wont complain. 

im a college student, so these will be used while studying,grading homework and exams, and just jamming in general. looking for a fun comfortable headphone. comfort over long periods of time is a must

id like to keep this purchase under 200$, not including the cost of building another amp. currently im looking at hifiman re262 and fischer audio DBA 02.

what do you guys think?

Sounds like the GR07. Very balanced, borderline neutral (only slightly leaning to the warm side, very slight). Bass hits very satisfyingly. Sort of warm mids, but mostly remaining flat. Treble is very good, but some people claim they need burn-in to get rid of any sibilance (the pair I heard wasn't sibilant at all, wouldn't know about a fresh new pair though). They do soundstage depth decently, but the width is where they excel at. 

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #113 of 190
Quote:
Sounds like the GR07. Very balanced, borderline neutral (only slightly leaning to the warm side, very slight). Bass hits very satisfyingly. Sort of warm mids, but mostly remaining flat. Treble is very good, but some people claim they need burn-in to get rid of any sibilance (the pair I heard wasn't sibilant at all, wouldn't know about a fresh new pair though). They do soundstage depth decently, but the width is where they excel at. 

sounds like a winner. any on ear candidates you guys can think of? i could possibly increase my price range or go used

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #114 of 190
sounds like a winner. any on ear candidates you guys can think of? i could possibly increase my price range or go used

You described the dt1350 pretty much except soundstage with a closed on ear isnt gunna get all that wide but these are amongst the widest in their class. Watch tyll's video on them too.

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #115 of 190
Quote:
You described the dt1350 pretty much except soundstage with a closed on ear isnt gunna get all that wide but these are amongst the widest in their class. Watch tyll's video on them too.

Would you say that the DT1350s have a wider stage than the HD-25, or M80s? Barely any soundstage with those (especially the HD-25)

BTW, you're really making my wallet itch with all these DT1350 teasers.. .
blink.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #116 of 190
Would you say that the DT1350s have a wider stage than the HD-25, or M80s? Barely any soundstage with those (especially the HD-25)

BTW, you're really making my wallet itch with all these DT1350 teasers.. .:blink:

I would. I mean I have heard all three and I would have to say the 1350 wins but again we are talking about a closed on ear here I hope I'm not misleading you into thinking these babies sound open or anything. They just seem a lot less all up in my face so to speak from how I remember the HD25's sounding.

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #117 of 190
Quote:
I would. I mean I have heard all three and I would have to say the 1350 wins but again we are talking about a closed on ear here I hope I'm not misleading you into thinking these babies sound open or anything. They just seem a lot less all up in my face so to speak from how I remember the HD25's sounding.

Hmm, I felt the HD25 to be a bit claustrophobic at times, especially for classical music. Not expecting much, except for a more refined, neutral departure from the Senns. When there's a good deal for these new, I'll probably spring. 

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #118 of 190
Quote:
Hmm, I felt the HD25 to be a bit claustrophobic at times, especially for classical music. Not expecting much, except for a more refined, neutral departure from the Senns. When there's a good deal for these new, I'll probably spring. 

same here. going to keep my eyes on these. ive wanted to try some beyers for a while now and these seem like they fit my needs. id definitely like to demo them first 

Oct 29, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #119 of 190
Hi,
I find a klipsch costum 3 for sale here. This is really a costume one and I can't try it out before buying. http://www.flickr.com/photos/arnaldo73/7050781425/in/photostream/  Would you make an attempt to buy it in this case?
Another part of my question: I can't choose between the TripleFi 10 and the Vsonic GR07. Both are in the same price. The triplefi has on edge temporarily because of the detachable cable.
The source will be a samsung i9000 with voodoo sound and there isn't special type of music I prefer.

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #120 of 190
Hello!

I'm looking for a headphone but I don't know music/technical terms at all (maybe 1%), so I can't assure I'm gonna be precise enough.

I'll give my best though!

Here's what I'm looking for:

over the ear headphone, so I can experience a nice sound isolation, less sound leak. Something comfortable is a must here. Nothing too big, I like portability, but without compromising the sound quality/isolation. Definitely something foldable, as portable as possible. 

I plan to use it for music and games. In the music department I hear mostly pop/rock, house, dance, reggae, little bit of classic. No heavy metal, no gothic stuff. Given that I think a HIFI, as this sites defines: (http://www.headfonia.com/portable-headphone-recommendations/) would be a good option right? Balanced with good bass.

Finally, price range within ~$150.

Hope you can help me! Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back