Portable Headphones
Aug 19, 2011 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gbak

Head-Fier
I just moved to the United States for studies and would like to buy portable headphones to use with my computer and media player because I will be at campus all day long. My budget is 200$ and could stretch a bit for something a lot better, I could also give less for something bang for the buck. I listen to progressive rock - pink floyd, genesis, classic rock, jazz, ska-punk and at some times classical. The thing is most of this stuff is a lot different, I even listen to Greek Folk music... that's why I don't know what to choose and shied away from the grados - for portable use.

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 8
The Shure SRH940 offers good isolation and work great for all type of genres music and it's easy to drive. Few more headphones are also recommended HD595, DT990, DT880, D2000, AD900 and Sony ZX7550. I will also recommend to buy portable AMPs and it's give more volume to the music and clean the signal for better sound quality. BTW if isolation is not important then SR850+iBasso T3d or Fiio E11 combo is amazing.

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 8
You could use a relatively cheap IEM like the UE 700 
etysmile.gif

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 8
Gbak, Do consider the Sennheisser HD25. I found them good for rock and they are closed and portable.

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 8
IEMs- love my B&W C5- great range, clean, well articulated mids and fantastic bass as long as you have a good seal, plus they have a unique ear loop to keep them in place and a tangle-free cord.  This would be your most compact option.

Supra aural- V-Moda M-80 (fantastic sound signature) or

new Sennheiser Amperior (above your projected price range, but reviewed as superior to HD25)

Circumaural-  V-Moda M-100 (also above your price range and not available for about a month or so, but based on buzz could and should be worth the extra cost and wait) They do fold up to make them more compact.

I am also a big fan of classic rock and any of these should serve you well.  Based on personal experience with the C5, they are great for all types of music including classic rock- an extremely versatile IEM.  I have auditioned the M-80 and HD25.  If you are deciding between the two of those since they are similar design and price, IMO the M-80 is the hands down winner.

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
IEMs- love my B&W C5- great range, clean, well articulated mids and fantastic bass as long as you have a good seal, plus they have a unique ear loop to keep them in place and a tangle-free cord.  This would be your most compact option.

Supra aural- V-Moda M-80 (fantastic sound signature) or

new Sennheiser Amperior (above your projected price range, but reviewed as superior to HD25)

Circumaural-  V-Moda M-100 (also above your price range and not available for about a month or so, but based on buzz could and should be worth the extra cost and wait) They do fold up to make them more compact.

I am also a big fan of classic rock and any of these should serve you well.  Based on personal experience with the C5, they are great for all types of music including classic rock- an extremely versatile IEM.  I have auditioned the M-80 and HD25.  If you are deciding between the two of those since they are similar design and price, IMO the M-80 is the hands down winner.

I had opposite feelings for the C5.  They treble wasn't of quality for me, the mids were veiled and lacked vocal energy...  The lows were good, but could be a bit muddied every now and then. 

The P3s on the other hand is on par with the M80s in my mind, just another signature with similar sound quality.  Both would be great portables :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back