Portable Headphone for listening music on the go (I need more Bass, Bass, Did I say bass?)
Jun 3, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #32 of 43
Quote:
A while ago I made a thread about portable IEM and now it seems like I need portable headphones also! I bought the Monster Copper Pro and it's terrific sound! Love the overall balance, not too much bass or highs. However now I need headphones that have lots of bass. Something that may literally move my ears? I was looking at the Sony MDR-XB700 and it seemed interesting, any thoughts about it? My budget seems to be around $100-150

For lots of bass headphones, you may consider Shure SRH750DJ, it sounds like SRH840 + subwoofer
L3000.gif

But the bass is well controlled, and doesn't colorized the mid like many of basshead headphones.  The mid is sweet and thick, and the treble is just nice, leaning on the dark side, but not recessed.

Even though the bass is very strong, listening to vocal tracks without any strong bass in the music, also sounds very nice on SRH750DJ.
iPod can drives it quite well, while good amp will improve the detail and imaging of the SRH750DJ.

Some cons from my point of view:
- Headband might be too short for large size head, you must try the fit on your head, don't assume.
- Weird look when worn, look at the mirror to see how it looks on your head.
- The round shape ear-cup might not be comfortable for large ears.
- Average imaging, not very wide.

Some pics of my SRH750DJ:

Comparison with my SRH840 and ATH-M50:

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #33 of 43
Just get some KOSS Porta Pro, they have a lot of bass

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #36 of 43
My current bass kings are my Hippo VBs, by a good notch. Decent all-rounders too, if you fix the low end.

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #37 of 43
I got the Xb700's
More so, if you typed that name into youtube, the only review of them would be mine. LOL :)

They are great, sound amazing, give you good bass.
Only downside to getting it:
It is HUGE. Look at my review, and you will understand what i mean.

If portability, as i saw, isn't much of an issue, and more so, if you will be having them/using them indoors, i would suggest the XB700's they are absolutely great. However if you plan to wear them on the move, i wouldn't suggest these. They are a little too big i find for moving around. But that could be just my opinion.
and YES i am a BASS head too :)

No matter what you buy, enjoy.
PS. There is nothing like switching your Logitech Z-5500 sound system to full blast with the bass on full. TRUST ME. You want bass. You can't get better for price / quality. :D

EDIT:
My ears are huge, and the fact that the 700's boast a nice 50mm driver unit, made me buy them in confidence. I was fearing buying them, and them not fitting unto my ears like 80% of headphones out there...:frowning2:
Nothing beats my ear/nose size :D! (Well maybe...but STILL!!!)

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #38 of 43
by the way, some headphones respond really well to bass boosts using an equalizer.  for example i used to own denon d2000 (which are already known for their bass, though i woudnt put them in the mega bass category), and i used foobar with electriq to really pump up the bass on them sometimes and it sounded great.  other cans or amp combinations this may be more or less effective.  this also depends on the quality of the eq.  for example, boosting bass on an ipod is pretty much a lost cause

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #39 of 43
Rofl @ monkey pulling you around. now THAT would be a chick magnet. "look at that fly dude in his red wagon with killer dub subs being pulled by a monkey." is what they would say.

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #41 of 43

Quote:
So I haven't decided yet, so many choices in this thread thus meaning a lot of research!!!!! I went to Bestbuy and the XB500 was a bit disappointing, is the bigger XB700 worth it?

Well i can't compare, but the 700's are bigger and better.
Don't quote me on that.
I fully enjoy my XB700's...some others might not, i have no idea.
Anyone that has tried them, loves them.

Get something else if you didn't like the xb500's.
Probably because of the sound signature.

As you see other have helped you, and they know better.
Listen to their advice.

or go and try things out. Demo some.
Even if it's not the ones you want, you will get a good feel of the sound signature.

Dubbed

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #43 of 43
the sony XB1000 is coming out soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back