Portable Headphone Amp Upgrade for iPod Classic
Feb 23, 2013 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

nbohaychuk

Head-Fier
As the title indicates, I'm interested in upgrading my headphone amp. I currently have the FiiO E11 and the rest of my rig is in my signature. I've been looking at iBasso, RSA and ALO Audio and I'm looking to spend around $250.00. The E11 has a bit of hissing with my R-50 and I even notice it a bit with my full sized headphones. I'm looking for a metal amp, not the cheaper plastic iBasso ones and I'd prefer that the amp be an amp only, not including a DAC that isn't compatible with iDevices. If the amp costs $300.00 or more, I'll consider it, but I'm trying to save money, so please refrain from suggesting things above my current budget.

I've already ordered a custom LOD from Chris_Himself, so the higher-quality LOD is taken care of.

In the near future, I'll likely buy new IEMs and possibly headphones, so the rig will be put to good use. I'm also wondering if getting a balanced amp is worth the extra money since I might upgrade to a balanced external DAC in a year or two. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I've been researching amps constantly (my addiction :D) and I'm still not quite sure what to get.

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 39
A few choices in that price range, but I would recommend:

Leckerton UHA-6 MK II
Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G
ALO The National
Tralucent T1

All have their following, and I've heard three of the 4, excluding the T1 and they all are solid performers. It all depends on what you, and what features are import to you.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 39
 I recently bought ALO's The National to use with my iPod classic.  It is still breaking in, but I am impressed with the sound and build quality. 

I purchased it blindly (never ideal), but did so after research here.  And so far I am not disappointed. 

Regards,
Pat

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 39
Quote:
 I recently bought ALO's The National to use with my iPod classic.  It is still breaking in, but I am impressed with the sound and build quality. 

I purchased it blindly (never ideal), but did so after research here.  And so far I am not disappointed. 

Regards,
Pat

Agree about the National. I don't have a Classic; I have an iPod touch. I also use it with the National. I love it on both counts as mentioned by pmk. Using it right now, through the Grado RS1-i. I also listen through the RS225-i.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 39
Thanks for the replies! :)

edit: I also forgot another important amp. What are people's feelings/expectations for the FiiO E12? Will it compare to more expensive amps like the ones mentioned in this thread? The E11 just feels really cheap to me and that's what I hate the most. The potentiometer is also now a problem for me. I've had my E11 for about a month and it is already crackling/hissing when I adjust the volume. I don't want digital volume control, but I just thought I'd throw that out there. It's a big pain if IEMs are being used since they really pick up on that interference.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 39
Yes, E12 is aluminum and very high quality

I got the E11 to compare and it was a joke compared to E12.

One can REALLY like an IEM, but in the end, at this range of earphones and IEM's and headphones, it is not really a good cost effective thing to spend a lot more on the amp than on the IEM and headphone. I know that feeling of thinking one has found THE earphone or headphone. 

The E11 is hissy yes, there are many amps at sub $100 that aren't and won't be. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 39
Quote:
One can REALLY like an IEM, but in the end, at this range of earphones and IEM's and headphones, it is not really a good cost effective thing to spend a lot more on the amp than on the IEM and headphone. I know that feeling of thinking one has found THE earphone or headphone. 

I don't mind spending more on an amp or dac, but since I'm still in high school and since it seems my generation is extremely brain dead/careless, I don't want to buy expensive headphones for on the go that could potentially be broken by some idiot at school. I also mainly listen to jazz from the 30s-80s, so the quality isn't the best on most albums to begin with. I have a problem with the E11, so I'm looking for a replacement. I agree that in many cases buying IEMs/headphones before a nicer amp is the best route to go, but for now I'd like to give this a try.

I don't want to derail my own thread :D, but if I was interested in getting nice full sized or even on-ear headphones for on the go, what would you recommend? Grado is unfortunately out because their headphones are open. I need at least a small amount of noise isolation and the headphones need to be silent or as close as possible for others around me. I'd consider also carrying a $200-$300 pair of headphones around.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 39
I've been using Headstage Arrows (1G, then 2G, now awaiting shipment of my upgrade 4G) w/ my iPod Classic (160GB) since early 2010, and I can vouch for it.  If you deal w/ Headstage, however, be prepared for waiting....and waiting.  It's a nice product, and one of the rarest of things that I've personally found in audio: subjectively, something that is actually worth what I paid for it.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

I don't mind spending more on an amp or dac, but since I'm still in high school and since it seems my generation is extremely brain dead/careless, I don't want to buy expensive headphones for on the go that could potentially be broken by some idiot at school. I also mainly listen to jazz from the 30s-80s, so the quality isn't the best on most albums to begin with. I have a problem with the E11, so I'm looking for a replacement. I agree that in many cases buying IEMs/headphones before a nicer amp is the best route to go, but for now I'd like to give this a try.

I don't want to derail my own thread :D, but if I was interested in getting nice full sized or even on-ear headphones for on the go, what would you recommend? Grado is unfortunately out because their headphones are open. I need at least a small amount of noise isolation and the headphones need to be silent or as close as possible for others around me. I'd consider also carrying a $200-$300 pair of headphones around.

Well, even then I personally don't think $250 on the go is that smart. I'm also in your shoes. High School going to College with $150 earbuds. However I use amps $130 and below on the go.

Maybe Headstage, iBasso, FiiO, C&C can hook you up? They have some good sub $100 amps.

Grado's are very popular on the go. When someone looks at you for listening to Justin Beaver, just give them the 'I don't care' look. And all is forgiven.

Audio Technica WS series are quite popular. The SRH840 seems to be popular as well.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:
Well, even then I personally don't think $250 on the go is that smart. I'm also in your shoes. High School going to College with $150 earbuds. However I use amps $130 and below on the go.

Maybe Headstage, iBasso, FiiO, C&C can hook you up? They have some good sub $100 amps.

Grado's are very popular on the go. When someone looks at you for listening to Justin Beaver, just give them the 'I don't care' look. And all is forgiven.

Audio Technica WS series are quite popular. The SRH840 seems to be popular as well.

I've been checking out amps in the lower price ranges, but they just don't seem like an upgrade over the E11. I'll have to think about it more.

You did however lose me on the Justin Bieber. I hate pop music and almost everything on the top 40, so why did you mention him? Actually, I generally hate most music made these days. If it was a joke and I'm just taking it too seriously, correct me, but I don't consider JB's songs good music.

On a side note, if you like Justin Bieber, I have probably offended you a bit and I'm sorry.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

I've been checking out amps in the lower price ranges, but they just don't seem like an upgrade over the E11. I'll have to think about it more.

You did however lose me on the Justin Bieber. I hate pop music and almost everything on the top 40, so why did you mention him? Actually, I generally hate most music made these days. If it was a joke and I'm just taking it too seriously, correct me, but I don't consider JB's songs good music.

On a side note, if you like Justin Bieber, I have probably offended you a bit and I'm sorry.

It was a joke. 

I don't have any opinion towards J Beibs. I use him A LOT in my conversations as a joke for isolation and leaking though.

Because we all know Taylor Swift is where its at. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 39
ROFL

What do you usually listen to?

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #13 of 39
The two amps I'm looking at most are the iBasso P4 Warbler and The National, so I'll probably upgrade to one of them in the months to come, but I'm still open to suggestions.

edit: Has anyone had experience with the iBasso D-Zero? It's an amp/DAC combo, but it would be a lot easier on my wallet. Would it be considered better than the E11?

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:
ROFL

What do you usually listen to?

EVERYTHING.

No joke

samples from different genres

The Eagles
Cake
Fleetwood Mac
Pink Floyd
Beatles
Run DMC
Aerosmith
Poison
Mozart

Linkin Park
Rise Against
Sixx A.M
Nickleback
Good Charlotte
Fall out Boy
Panic at the Disco
Green Day
Disturbed
Avenged Sevenfold

Pendulum
Skirllex
UKR

Fort Miner
Metaform
Eminem
50 Cent
Dr.Dre
Nikki Minaji
Lil Wayne
Justin Derulo (however you spell it)
Katy Perry
Kanye West

Alan
Ayumi Hamasaki
Hatsune Miku
Jia Peng Fang
Ito Yuna
Angela Aki
DJ Owakawari
L'arc en ciel
T.M Revolution
FLOW
Girls Generation 
2NE1
AKB48

Quote:
The two amps I'm looking at most are the iBasso P4 Warbler and The National, so I'll probably upgrade to one of them in the months to come, but I'm still open to suggestions.

I still hold my personal opinion on that.

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:
EVERYTHING.

No joke

samples from different genres

The Eagles
Cake
Fleetwood Mac
Pink Floyd
Beatles
Run DMC
Aerosmith
Poison
Mozart

Linkin Park
Rise Against
Sixx A.M
Nickleback
Good Charlotte
Fall out Boy
Panic at the Disco
Green Day
Disturbed
Avenged Sevenfold

Pendulum
Skirllex
UKR

Fort Miner
Metaform
Eminem
50 Cent
Dr.Dre
Nikki Minaji
Lil Wayne
Justin Derulo (however you spell it)
Katy Perry
Kanye West

Alan
Ayumi Hamasaki
Hatsune Miku
Jia Peng Fang
Ito Yuna
Angela Aki
DJ Owakawari
L'arc en ciel
T.M Revolution
FLOW
Girls Generation 
2NE1
AKB48

Wow that is quite the difference in genres. I never thought someone could like hit music and Mozart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back