Portable headphone amp to headphone price ratio
Nov 15, 2010 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Handeh

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at getting some decent $100 starter cans, potentially with an amp. What's a good ratio to be looking at for spending on an amp? I'm thinking the options may be a little more expensive than what would be reasonable, but I'm not totally sure.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Nov 15, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 5
It's hard to put it as a ratio, since it depends heavily on the headphone choice.

However, I would say for $100 starter headphones, you probably should save up the amp money and wait.

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 5
I don't really have any other equipment to be honest, still a newb to this.
$100 is my budget for headphones as I will be getting them as a gift. The amp can be around $40 max..?

I've been doing some research in the head-fi forums and have found many headphones that meet a few of these criteria, but haven't nailed any specifics. I listen to mostly indie, but anything as mainstream to coldplay, the killers or kings of leon, with some hip-hop and hard rap.

The headphones I've looked at are the Sony V6's, Shure 840's, Senn hd280's and a few other, but each have some lacking things.

I need the following things from my phones:

Cannot leak sound, as to not annoy other people who could hear it.
Under $100
Can run well unamped, but may be improved with a purchase of a relatively cheap one in the future
run well from an ipod

DJ swivel is a plus, but not necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back