Portable Earphones Under £70
Dec 15, 2013 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cameron262

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm looking for some portable (probably in-ear) headphones for around £70 (GBP).

I listen to a range of music, mostly folk, rock, and some rap and electronic music. Treble is probably slightly higher priority than bass but obviously ideally I'd like good bass too!

My main pair of headphones are the SRH840s and I love them but they're just too big to carry around.

What should I get?

Thanks

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 3
If you don't need any isolation then the Koss Porta Pro or KSC75 are an excellent choice and very good value. If you like a little isolation then a closed earpad headphone like the Sennheiser HD219 sounds decent and is very small and more portable than your Shures. You can find the above quite easily in bricks and mortar stores in UK such as Maplin or PC World or Currys.

For moderately priced in ears I would look at Sennheiser CX 300 II or 400 II. These aren't exotic, exclusive or unusual but are well made and have a bass driven sound that really works well at masking outside noise without being muddy or slow or losing the top end. Again you can find these easily in normal shops as well as online.

There are lots of fakes out there for the Koss headphones and the Sennheiser in ears so avoid amazon market place and for Sennheiser especially avoid ebay (Sennheiser don't allow their authorised UK dealers to sell on ebay at all).

If you can stretch your budget a bit you can look at some even better in ears such as Shure SE215. They are now about £95 in UK but you can get them for £65 or £70 from North American Shure dealers and if you're lucky the customs people don't hit you for tax (mine came through OK recently and cost me £65 inc. delivery from Canada).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back