Portable Closed Headphones?
Jul 31, 2007 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

kojebee

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I currently use Etymotic ER4P for portable usage, which I'm extremely happy with.

Now, I'm looking for a pair of portable closed headphones, to use as a back up, and a change from something stuffed in my ear when commuting.

Previously, I owned the AKG81DJ which I liked, but the cable was too long, had a little too much bass (even with the inserts taken out) and didn't have enough clarity (which I've got used to with the Etymotic).

I currently use an Iriver H140 (rockbox), occasionally with the headphonia amp.

I listen to electronica (50%), rock (30%) various (20%).

I have a budget of about $150, but can go a little higher. It depends on prices in Korea. Japanese headphones seem to be reasonably priced here. Sennheiser seem to be expensive for example.

Some of you guys put me on the direction of the Etymotics, and you advised right. I love 'em.

I hope you can put me in the right direction with Portable closed cans.

Thanks in advanced.

Jul 31, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 24
Have you read Skylab's review of portable closed headphones in your price range?

He liked the Senn HD25-1 with modded cable.

Jul 31, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you read Skylab's review of portable closed headphones in your price range?

He liked the Senn HD25-1 with modded cable.

I read the review. I liked the sound of the Denon AH-D1000 but skylab says they don't isolate. I need some isolation when walking the streets.

I just checked out the shopping sites here in Korea, and the cheapest price I can find the HD25-1, is for 305,000 won, which is $331. Way outside my budget.

I really want something affordable and suitable for my musical tastes.

Jul 31, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 24
Since HD25 are apparently selling for too much in Korea - they are very easy to assmble, so what would the parts cost (and you assemble them yourself)? In the USA (aprox. parts prices as I recall them) 2 elements = $110, Velour earpads = $13, HD650 cable = $17 SP headband (if you don't feel you need the std double headband which is less comfortable and sells for $55) is $7 (I hand-shaped 2 tiny pieces for each side and superglue them in the "box" on the elements that the headband ends pass through).

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 24
Maybe look for a Japanese headphone. I assume they're decently priced there.

I tried the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 a few weeks ago and I was blown away. Oddly enough though, they sounded very poor with the active noise canceling off.

Mind you, I was listening to them out of very expensive equipment - so as always try before you buy.

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since HD25 are apparently selling for too much in Korea - they are very easy to assmble, so what would the parts cost (and you assemble them yourself)? In the USA (aprox. parts prices as I recall them) 2 elements = $110, Velour earpads = $13, HD650 cable = $17 SP headband (if you don't feel you need the std double headband which is less comfortable and sells for $55) is $7 (I hand-shaped 2 tiny pieces for each side and superglue them in the "box" on the elements that the headband ends pass through).

Just curious, how would one go about procuring the related items?

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 24
Audio Technica ATH-ES7 is a good choice. Equation Audio Eartools RP-21 as well.

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 24
the HD25-1's get my vote aswell, although the cheapest i can find them for is around the $200. you might want to do some didding.

THE HD25-1'S ARE [size=x-small]THE[/size] BEST ISOLATING i've tried, and i mean that whole heartedly. they are brilliant. overlook them at your peril!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 2, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 24
i'm using my sony v6 on my roadtrip

they keep my music in so it doesn't disturb my parents
but they also block out my parents snoring

but thats a different story

i love how everyone is suggesting sennheiser, despite the OPs post

Aug 2, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try AKG K26p/27i/28nc...it's closed, portable and bassy...

I'm not a fan of the K26p. They're somewhat uncomfortable and the sound is muddy.

Aug 2, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #15 of 24
can anyone link to the review? i've been searching fruitlessly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back