Portable choices...FLAC attack
Jul 23, 2010 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

monkeini

New Head-Fier
I'll keep this short and sweet - I'm after some opinions regarding my next step in portable audio.

What I have at the moment:
 - iPhone 3GS
 - Decent dedicated dock connector audio out
 - Semi-decent headphone amp (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140425795448 with upgraded components)
 - Shure SE-420 for normal portable use
 - Grado RS-1 for home use and 'Friday treats' (walking to the station after work rather than taking the tube!)

I'm happy with the headphones, for sure.  I'm not convinced about the portable source, but a lot of that comes back to the fact I have my music in a a wild array of compressed formats, from 128 MP3s to 320 AAC.  I'm happy to begin the process of re-encoding my CDs if needed.

So basically - I'm after the best solution of playing FLACs on the move.

Solutions considered so far:
 - Rockbox iPod 5.5g
 - iRiver H140 with portable DAC
 - Cowon D2 (or other) 
 - HM-801 (maybe...one day!)

Capacity is only a secondary consideration for me, as it will take time for me to build up the size of my FLAC collection, and I'll still have the iPhone for a store of compressed files.

So, finally, questions:
 - I presume there is still no portable solution for Digital Out from an iPod?
 - Would I notice much difference if I switched from, for example, 192 AAC to 320 AAC and upgraded my headphone amp?
 - Is switching to such an old player as the iRiver a poor idea?
 - What is the audio out quality of the Cowon like compared to an iPod dock connector?
 - Have I missed out any obvious options?  I don't mind a one, two, or three box solution (ideally less than £400 total).

Thanks in advance,
Robin,

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 5
I guess the other option is the iMod iPod. Being in the UK it's prohibitive for me to do this with Red Wine Audio, so might have to go down the second hand route.

Anyone have any experience of iMod + good amp Vs HM-801?

Thanks,
Robin.

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 5
Most any Cowon product should do it for you, though I would recommend the J3 or the S9 (which I own) If you have ever used the EQ on you iPod, you will be blown away by Cowons EQ settings... They actually improve the music to a huge extent. I used to rip my CD audio to FLAC, but recently I ripped it back to MP3, because there was no perceivable difference (save filesize) As for the iPod dock connector you are still left with no EQ, and an LCD screen... Compared to the Cowons OLED beauty and you will never go back.

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for input.  And are you running straight from the S9's audio out,  or through an amp?  I always thought the EQ settings on any device a bit gimmiky, but I should probably hear a Cowon before passing judgement.  The other thing about the S9 is that it just seems a bit too similar to the iPhone in format.  I know that shouldn't be a problem per se if it means the best sound quality option, but instinctively it holds me back from making it a natural first choice.

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #5 of 5
I started down the hi-fi audio path in a similar fashion as you did only with the 3G Iphone and 4g ipod with a cheap LOD and a pair of Shure 310s. Over time as I perused this site and others doing my research and asking similar questions I ended up buying a RWA's 5.5 Imod (FLAC files, I found a discernable difference) with ALO's LOD moving up to a pair of Shure 530s and now using custom JH13s and a pair of 8 driver customs (LS8) from a company out of China called Rooth. There are many different directions you can go, and you will get all kinds of comments. Do your research.

By the way you can find used Imods on here from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back