Portable Amp to run a HD650
Dec 6, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #16 of 30
FWIW, I've got a pair of HD 600s and power them with a NuForce uDAC.  Many said it couldn't (or rather, shouldn't) be done, but I'm happy with it.  I spent some time comparing it to a Beyerdynamic A1 amp, and after matching levels by ear I couldn't consistently tell the difference between them at any volume.  The Beyer amp may have been slightly "warmer" sounding - but the difference was so small that I could never ever justify spending the $850 one would cost.  It was not a blind test - just me A/B'ing them - so take it as you will.

Of course, the HD 650 is different animal - and I was using a USB-powered amp.  But this should give you some perspective.

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #18 of 30
have you used the HD650 with a full size desktop amp?

just want to make sure, since you make this claim.
Quote:
Not really...the Ibasso P4 and the Toucan (balanced) do a fantastic job!
Both amps will bring out the best of the HD650s...balanced is really heaven!

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #19 of 30
Alright alright, so for now, here the exhaustive list of what you guys advised me to get:

Triad Audio Lisa lll (600$ !)
Headstage Arrow (235 euros)
Ibasso FiQuest (?)
NuForce uDAC (I can't get it the website doesn't seem to say it's for portable use: http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconudac2/)
Ibasso P4 (245$)
Ibasso Toucan (230$)

Sincerely, I have no idea of which one to choose! Help!

(irrelevant question: what's a "tube"?! I've googled it and it just looks like a lightbulb or something. I feel like the real beginner now)

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #20 of 30
vacuum tube, instead of solid state transistors, older technology that some like better because it is not as sterile.  Best i can do for a simple answer maybe others want to expand. (For tube amplifier) 
Here is my tube headphone amp

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #22 of 30

Quote:
Alright alright, so for now, here the exhaustive list of what you guys advised me to get:

Triad Audio Lisa lll (600$ !)
Headstage Arrow (235 euros)
Ibasso FiQuest (?)
NuForce uDAC (I can't get it the website doesn't seem to say it's for portable use: http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconudac2/)
Ibasso P4 (245$)
Ibasso Toucan (230$)

Sincerely, I have no idea of which one to choose! Help!

(irrelevant question: what's a "tube"?! I've googled it and it just looks like a lightbulb or something. I feel like the real beginner now)

The uDAC/uDAC 2 aren't really portable; I wasn't really suggesting them so much as saying that the difference between competent amps isn't always as big as it's made out to be.

The uDAC can only really be used portably with an iPad or perhaps a Windows-running tablet.  The uDAC 2 can't be used with an iPad.

Dec 21, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #23 of 30
Lisa III is way to expensive for me. I can't spread 600$ for a portable amp, unless you strongly advice me to. The Headstage Arrow, Ibasso Toucan and P4 look nice, but I still don't know which one's going to run my HD650 the best... erf. Noone here ever successfully ran those cans on a portable amp?
confused_face%281%29.gif

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #24 of 30
Well, I just read a review where the reviewer ran both an HD650 AND an HD800 off the Arrow...at the same time.  Sounds crazy that both could sound amazing like that, but he claimed that they were both driven extremely well.  That wasn't "extremely well for a portable", it was just "extremely well".  That's quite a claim, but who knows?  Still waiting on my Arrow...someday I'll be able to let you know how it goes with the HD650.  Mine should be shipping soon...others around my order number have been getting "shipped" notices.

EDIT: here's that review...http://www.headfonia.com/headstage-the-arrow-amplifier/

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #25 of 30
Hey,

Thank you for the informations and review (Golden Monkey). I just had a little talk with Mediaorge (he started the Headstage thread) and he told me that this piece of plastic will surely drive the 650 properly (he gave it a try himself). I'm amazed and relieved, this item is blessing!
The waiting time seems incredibly huge though. When did you place the order again? Mid october?

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #26 of 30
I ordered third week of November, and got "item shipped" notification yesterday.  Production has really stepped up though, and people are getting them much faster, so I'm pretty sure the wait will be less than a month.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #28 of 30
Yeah, Robert made some changes to production, and says that "Almost all pre-orders shipped. Only December-orders are left".  Not bad, considering he was literally months behind not too long ago.  In the past couple of days though he's shipped out somewhere around 300 amps. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #29 of 30

Quote:
Yeah, Robert made some changes to production, and says that "Almost all pre-orders shipped. Only December-orders are left".  Not bad, considering he was literally months behind not too long ago.  In the past couple of days though he's shipped out somewhere around 300 amps.

Oh alright then, i'm buying mine right away! 300 people can't be wrong!
Thanks a lot to everyone who helped me during this search, Golden Monkey, Mediaogre, BlackbearBen, Dallan, Jasonb etc etc... Merci!

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #30 of 30
In the Portable domain, these are proven to drive the HD650 well and reviews have been in this portable amp forum the last few months:

Lisa L3
RSA Portector
RSA SR71B
Meier Stepdance
Ibasso Toucan

You can get the RSA Protector used for $350 to 380 range.  I personally will choose between the Stepdance or the SR71B or the Protector

Users who are viewing this thread

Back