Portable AMP To Pair with WESTONE UM3X and Ipod Classic!
Sep 28, 2010 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Madgravity34

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I have finally settled on my new rig. I am waiting on my UM3X's to arrive and, for now, I will stick with my classic until something better comes through or I decide to DIYmod a 5.5gen Ipod. A lot of the reviews make the UM3X out to be very accurate but not "fun" so-to-speak. The Amps thats are currently on my list are as follows:

1. Headstage Arrow 12HE
2. TTVJ Slim
3. RSA P51 Mustange
4. RSA Tomahawk

Now these are on my list in the order of my preference. Reason being, I hear that all of these amps are on the warm side and I hope they will have good synergy with the UM3X. Anyone that owns a similar setup or has an opinion. PLEASE CHIME IN!!!!

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 8
I have the UM3X with an iPod 5gen (to be DIYmod in future). I am currently contemplating getting the iBasso D12 for its capability to swap op-amps to taste. Both the Headstage Arrow 12HE (now 2nd gen) and TTVJ Slim were originally my top choices.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm running a 2009 Classic + LOD + iBasso T3

Really happy with the sound and portability of that kit (Carried on belt clips instead of strapped)

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm finding the UM3X pairs nicely with the D10 with Topkit as well as Tomahawk or Mustang from Ray Samuels.  All three give great voice to this superb IEM

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 8
i have a Imod rwa + Um3x + RSA shadows, it's very nice  for IEM 
wink_face.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 8
Alright thanks for all the suggestions guys! I am currently buying a Arrow and I may pick up a used Tomahawk too just for comparison purposes! I went ahead and got a great deal on a 7/10 condition 5g 30gb ipod. I only paid $35 for it and I sold my classic for $150 so I will be DIYmod and adding a 120gb drive to this ipod. I went with a custom LOD from twisted cables, I hope that I can extract the most amount of audio within the smallest footprint. I will definitely post my impressions and pictures when I finally get everything in my hands!

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 8
How did it go? I am thinking of one of the following... 

combine um3x with arrow... 

buy a grado gr10

buy arrow to pair with gr10, sell um3x

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #8 of 8
@atsq17

I really loved my final setup. It was a 30gb DIYmod + Arrow + Um3x's (which I got re-molded by fisher in Florida + twag cable). My personal opinion with the Arrow is that it is a rather straightforward amp, while in theory this sounds great, I find that a lot of the higher end amplifiers lend their own character to the sound. Also, the Blackgates in my LOD were just not to my liking as many others have found.

I ended up selling my DIYmod, Arrow, and LOD so that I could upgrade to a different setup. I used a lot of silver in my chain which led to a few issues with sibilance on non-reference quality material. I am now looking into purchasing a Meier Stepdance and a copper-based LOD with different capacitors as well. I ended up getting a great deal on a 80gb 5.5 gen ipod which I will be modding as well, I have yet to decide what internal wiring type I will use. Either SCSCag or some high-end solid OCC copper.

As far as the other setups you posted, I have not heard the GR10, so it just depends on what you are looking for. Do you really love the sound of your UM3X's? If you do then focus on upgrading your system around it. For me, once I heard the UM3X, I didn't care to keep looking at other IEM's as it has the perfect sound for my ears and music choices. If you aren't entirely sure the UM3X is for you, then definitely try different IEMS first until you find the one you really like. Then build your chain around that to get you to the sound you want.

If you have any more questions let me know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back