Portable amp for: Monster Miles Davis Tributes
May 22, 2011 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

munny

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

I just recieved my new pair of monster MD iems, I am listening to some music on my ipod classic 120gb ripped at 320kbps and the bass does not seem to hit as hard as I thought it would, I am looking to purchase an amp the ones I had in mind were: TTVJ slim, pico slim, or the headstage, I am looking to get a deeper more hard hitting bass but not to lose any of the lyrics to my music (I dont want the bass to be over powering) 

All opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

May 22, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 6
Synergy is very important.  You need to do some research on impedance of your source(DAP) and headphones, and the amps.  If you understand of impedance relationships, you can use that knowledge to maximize portable SQ.  

May 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Hello All,

I just recieved my new pair of monster MD iems, I am listening to some music on my ipod classic 120gb ripped at 320kbps and the bass does not seem to hit as hard as I thought it would, I am looking to purchase an amp the ones I had in mind were: TTVJ slim, pico slim, or the headstage, I am looking to get a deeper more hard hitting bass but not to lose any of the lyrics to my music (I dont want the bass to be over powering) 

All opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

You should add the Stepdance to that equation.  A Stepdance 2 is coming out also.  If you get the Arrow get the 4G which maybe the only option for a new one now.  You want something with as close to zero output impedance as possible and a nice neutral signature.  Don't get anything described as warm or dark sounding for the MDs.  There is also the iBasso D6 and P4 to consider too.  Rollable opamps will let you tune the signature.

May 24, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
You should add the Stepdance to that equation.  A Stepdance 2 is coming out also.  If you get the Arrow get the 4G which maybe the only option for a new one now.  You want something with as close to zero output impedance as possible and a nice neutral signature.  Don't get anything described as warm or dark sounding for the MDs.  There is also the iBasso D6 and P4 to consider too.  Rollable opamps will let you tune the signature.

what does zero output impedance mean? and what does "rollable opamps" mean?

May 24, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
what does zero output impedance mean? and what does "rollable opamps" mean?

So it begins  :wink:

Read this and you will be as confused as the rest of us:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_amplifier

If you've ever changed a lightbulb without falling off the ladder, chances are that you can 'roll' (ie change) opamps in a portable amp. Sure, I may have trashed one recently, but I have another that is still going strong- if I can do it, anyone can.

May 24, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 6
Here are some close ups of opamps/buffers and the sockets you insert them into - the scariest part is trying not to bend any pins in the process.

http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2054

Compared to the skill required to solder/unsolder components, opamp rolling is about as simple as it gets in electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back