Portable amp for ATH-M50s + Ipod classic?
Feb 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bovice

Head-Fier
Looking improve on my sound and was wondering if there was an amp that would work well w/ my headphone/mp3 player combo. I'm not sure how much amps usually go for but probably wouldn't want to pay more for it than I did my headphones.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 6
Just adding an amp is not going to improve the sound quality, you will notice a bigger differance improving on your phones or you DAP. You can read my opinion on portable amps here or take a look through the other posts as well ...

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 6
I have to rspectfully, but completely disagree with Walkgoods post above.

I own the ATH M50s and a RSA P-51 Mustang amp, and it made a DRASTIC imporovement in the sound quality, dynamics, detail, and drive out of my Ipod.
I believe this is for a couple of reasons though :

#1 - The Mustang is known for having VERY tight, dynamic and controlled bass, and the M50s desperately need this, as they can be too bassy.

#2 - The Mustang is known for HIGH power delivery and control for a portable, and drive the hell out of my M-50s.

#3 - The M50s are known for being somewhat warm and laid back in the mids and highs, and the Mustang has gloriously beautiful mids and VERY extended and sweet highs.

So yes, the correct portable WILL make magic with the M50s. The key word here though is "correct".

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 6
Just looked up the mustang and that's wayyy out of my price range
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bovice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just looked up the mustang and that's wayyy out of my price range
frown.gif

My bad ... I just re-read your OP. Used ones go about $300, but that's still pricey.

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by downsize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to rspectfully, but completely disagree with Walkgoods post above. ... ...

Since I don’t own either that DAP or the ATH-M50s I wonder if the DAP in reference has a hard time driving 38 ohm phones?

I am entitled to my belief as you are entitled to yours, you may have not read my linked opinion. IMO with every different amp you will probably hear a difference in treble, midrange, bass and soundstage. But these sounds are predominately a function/quality inherent of the headphones not the amp, the amp:
  1. Amplifies the signal for increased volume levels
  2. Drives higher impedance headphones / can also help with low impedance iem’s that are too sensitive and produce hiss. A lower cost solution for this would be to use an impedance adapter
  3. "Possibly improves the stereo crosstalk (which might improve perceived soundstage/stereo separation) and you'd need a good amp for that, cheap ones like the FiiO E5 have enough crosstalk on their own," thanks Martin
  4. Depending on which amp, it might add a new dimension or color the sound
  5. Improves or increases the dynamic range from high to low, which can allow lower listening levels
  6. Increases bass response, punch or thump, but this can also depend on the quality of phones to a high degree
  7. Bad or meager sounding headphones or DAP will not benifit or improve sound quality if you amp them
  8. Placebo effect can be a factor, be careful and don't let yourself be fooled

On the negative side with cheap amps, you may introduce unwanted hiss. But I stand on my belief that an amp is not a good fix for bad sound. If your headphones/canalphones sound bad, you should first look to invest into a decent set of headphones, rather than spending money to amplify the bad headphones louder, nuff said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back