Portable All- Arounder- <$200- Sennheiser HD 25-1 II?
Mar 19, 2011 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

manarius

New Head-Fier
I posted a while ago looking for a pair of portables under about $70. I ordered the Meelectronics HT-21, and while it sounds great for the price, I can tell it isn't going to keep me happy for long. My plan is to return them and look for something better.

My requirements:

1. Able to handle anything I throw at it: I listen to everything from rock to classical to hip-hop.
  2. Portable.
  3. Runs well unamped, out of an iPod Classic: if necessary I could probably spring for something cheap like the Fiio E5 if necessary, but nothing more than that.
  4. Under $200
  5. Comfortable
  6. Durable: I would like this to last me 5+ years.
  7. Stylish: This one's not really that important, but if possible, I would prefer not to look like a complete moron.

From what I can tell, the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II is my best bet here, but I'm not completely sure. I'd appreciate if people could tell me how the Senn's stack up to my criteria, and please suggest anything else you think fits.

Thanks

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
I posted a while ago looking for a pair of portables under about $70. I ordered the Meelectronics HT-21, and while it sounds great for the price, I can tell it isn't going to keep me happy for long. My plan is to return them and look for something better.

My requirements:

1. Able to handle anything I throw at it: I listen to everything from rock to classical to hip-hop.
  2. Portable.
  3. Runs well unamped, out of an iPod Classic: if necessary I could probably spring for something cheap like the Fiio E5 if necessary, but nothing more than that.
  4. Under $200
  5. Comfortable
  6. Durable: I would like this to last me 5+ years.
  7. Stylish: This one's not really that important, but if possible, I would prefer not to look like a complete moron.

From what I can tell, the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II is my best bet here, but I'm not completely sure. I'd appreciate if people could tell me how the Senn's stack up to my criteria, and please suggest anything else you think fits.

Thanks

The Sennheiser HD 25-1 II is one of my top recommendations, based on your post.  Its sound signature is, to my ears, versatile enough to use across genres.

As for comfort, it clamps harder than average, but I still find it comfortable (and I have a larger-than-average head).

As for durability, it's very durable.  As a popular pro piece, it's also quite serviceable.

It's portable, but not as compact as some other portable headphone choices.

It benefits from amping, but can still be run nicely unamped, in most cases.

And I find it stylish, in a utilitarian way.

The new beyerdynamic DT 1350 is another fine choice, but I don't think you're going to find one for under $200.

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 8
I will also vote for the HD 25-1 :). One little thing that I dont like is the cable because when I am walking I can hear the so-called microphonics sometimes. Nevertheless the sound is really good. I am using them in my office the whole day with a wide variety of music as well as really as a portable headphone, sometimes amped and sometimes not.

Because of the microhponics I will change my cable as soon as the parts arrive.

The DT1350 is, as already mentioned another alternative but the release price is about €279 in Germany..

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Definitely leaning toward the HD25s.

Quote:
I've mentioned this before on these forums...but another idea would be to buy two seperate $100 headphones, that excel at opposite ends of the spectrum. The sound quality difference between $100 and $200 often isn't as substantial as from the $30 to $100 jump, and because they would excel at the genres you intended to listen to, you proabably wouldn't be losing much SQ by dropping down. This has a couple of advantages.

1. as you mentioned you are already bored with your current headphones (somehting that happnes to me quickly) and this would give you the ability to change things up at will.

2. It's unlikley that both would break in a 5 year time span, whereas one oops with a $200 'phone and you are out of luck.

3. If you want a headphone for completley different uses, you can do this...say for working out and then eveything else (what I do), or at home and on the go etc... so not only could you get one for different genres, but also completley different styles.

Sure, lugging two 'phones around would be a pain. but that's not really the idea. I tend to listen to the all the genres also, but only a couple at any given time depending on what I'm doing. Meaning, I do listen to hip-hop, but gnerally only while working out, so I wouldn't need to lug my bass emphasized cans with me to the gym.

Just a thought, I've probably only confused you further, GL.

A good plan, but I'm not sure it's right for me.

1. It's not so much that I'm bored with them as I don't particularly love the sound signature, and I want something a little better.

2. Indeed, but with the legendary durability and user repairability of the HD 25's, I don't think this would be quite as big an issue.

3.This is a good point, but I already have some decent headphones. They're reasonably portable, and I believe have a very different sound from the HD 25s. They're the Creative Aurvana Live!'s if you want to tell me if I'm completely wrong here. As for workout, I have a pair of IEM's I can use or the portables I'm looking for. When I'm working out, the sound quality is kind of in the background and not a big deal. Not really a basshead either.

Thanks

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm fairly sure I want to get the HD 25's, but I'd like to bump this once first just to see if I can't get a few more opinions before I spring for something so expensive.

Thanks guys

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 8
Hello Manarius,

I say HD25, and if you want it more stylish you can get the adidas version for same price as the regular version is some sites, there is a site and a promo code, cant remember it but its in the "portable deal" thread.

I have the M50 but prefer HD25 every time. Only one i like to listen sometimes or as much as the hd25 is the slessandro ms1, but its open back headphone. HD25 doesnt fold but you can take the cups appart in seconds if you wish and put them back in in seconds too.

or maybe you already have it?

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 8
x-1 for HD-25ś :)

been running them from a Ipod nano at about 60% volume,not loud, but loud enough to kepp outside noises at bay.

been using (abusing) the 25ś since I joined here,not a problem yet..so +5 years use dont seem to be a problem,friends have had pairs for over 10 years still working perrfectly.

one other option could be the TMA -AiAiAi, not listend to it, but it gets good revies and looks sleek :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back