Porcupine Tree - "The Incident"
Aug 5, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #168 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a Track-By-Track album preview from Metal Hammer :

Metal Hammer » Blog Archive » Porcupine Tree - ‘The Incident’: Track-By-Track Album Preview

To say that man likes to flex his vocabulary is an understatement, har har. I honestly do not know what will ultimately be more entertaining: the album or this review/preview
icon10.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #173 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am one of the very very few people who actually have a sealed copy of the album Recordings. I see it is selling on eBay now from only one person, and it's almost $600.

That's one of their best albums IMO.

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #174 of 431
Quote:

I am one of the very very few people who actually have a sealed copy of the album Recordings. I see it is selling on eBay now from only one person, and it's almost $600.

Yes, its quite ridiculous how that album is not available for purchase when its such a solid album. but I do have it in FLAC
wink.gif
so no worries. har har har, sorry PT you screw me over, I'll screw you back!

Sell me albums at regular price, I'll buy it, sell me a damn EP for 20 bucks (Nil Recurring) or make an album unavailable for purchase in any form, then sorry, I'm going to look elsewhere.

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #176 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, its quite ridiculous how that album is not available for purchase when its such a solid album. but I do have it in FLAC
wink.gif
so no worries. har har har, sorry PT you screw me over, I'll screw you back!

Sell me albums at regular price, I'll buy it, sell me a damn EP for 20 bucks (Nil Recurring) or make an album unavailable for purchase in any form, then sorry, I'm going to look elsewhere.

Well I'm not going to sell it anytime soon. I'll wait until the demand goes over $1000, then part ways with it.

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #179 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might wanna be careful though, cos there was word that Recordings might be re-released. Once that happens, poof.

Who's word and where did you hear it?

No, I doubt that will happen. Steven is pretty firm when he makes limited edition releases. There was massive outcry at what happened with Insurgentes Deluxe edition and how not everyone had a chance to purchase it. He claimed he "thought" about re-releasing it but decided it is not fair to the people who purchased it knowing it would be a special, limited edition, collector's item, so no additional pressings of it were made.

Look at all the albums he has reissued. Recordings was one of the most popular PT albums ever and it was never re-released.

The re-release of Sky Moves Sideways was terrible, as it was identical to the original UK version (however they included a bonus disc with the missing songs). Stars Die was not present on the UK version for come kind of licensing reasons, and the whole album was broken up into two "phases". The original U.S. version is the definitive version because it contains all of the songs.

I have yet to purchase any of these re-issues, with the exception of Signify because it contained the B-side tracks on a disc called "Insignificance".

I download the program DVD-A Explorer that someone here posted a link to and I finally extracted the stereo 24 bit/48kHz audio from Deadwing. The program doesn't make it easy to see which version is which because there are so many different versions on the album and none of them are labeled with track names, only numbers, and then on the right hand side a bunch of info that specifies if it is 2 channel or surround.

But once I finally figured it out and extracted it, I listened carefully. It does sound quite a bit better than the CD version but I wouldn't say it's as exaggerated as a difference as some of you stated. It will all depend on your transport and DAC. Some DACs don't do as good of a job with redbook as they do with hi-res audio; they need to upsample redbook to make it sound better. Fortunately, my DAC (Reference One) does an incredible job with redbook and everything sounds so real, like there is no DAC, only music.

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #180 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But once I finally figured it out and extracted it, I listened carefully. It does sound quite a bit better than the CD version but I wouldn't say it's as exaggerated as a difference as some of you stated. It will all depend on your transport and DAC. Some DACs don't do as good of a job with redbook as they do with hi-res audio; they need to upsample redbook to make it sound better. Fortunately, my DAC (Reference One) does an incredible job with redbook and everything sounds so real, like there is no DAC, only music.

Try extracting the 5.1 mix and downmixing it using the "5.1 to stereo" DSP in foobar. I found that the stereo mixes on the DVD-Audios are a bit too loud and compressed overall.

I also went back and extracted the In Absentia DVD-Audio 5.1 mix, and I found that the front left and right channels were jacked up in volume. I did not remember it being like that, so it was a disappointment for me. Oh well, it still sounds good enough. I love that album's mix , but the more recent DVD-Audios have more restrained volume... at least last time I checked
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back