Porcupine Tree - "The Incident"
Aug 12, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #196 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is the absolute worst form of advertisement they could come up with. "Let's give people a free coaster. If it gets wet, it's ruined. If the drink is sitting on top of it, no one can read it so they have no clue what the hell it is. But it's cheap! We'll make the general public think they are getting something special. It will cost us very little to make and we can get more sales by saying we have our own 'exclusive' collector's item." Maybe they should also throw in a roll of PT TP so we can wipe our arses when we're done getting reamed.

Haha, agreed. It seems like there are many (I won't name names
wink.gif
)who are trying to ca$h in on this release big time. Seems like they have finally figured out that PT fans have endless supplies of money for anything "exclusive" or "limited"
tongue.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #199 of 431
Did I miss part of the review or something?

What a pointless review. No details, just a typical introduction with references to past music, a list of a few song titles and 2 words about some of them. There isn't even a conclusion. Ends saying PT is one of the top modern day prog bands and then...3.5 stars??????

Why give only 3.5 stars when you don't say anything wrong about the album. The review actually sounds like he liked the album. I dont get it at all.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #200 of 431
I really hope it takes a long time to sell out of the limited edition for the Incident. Best would be if it didn't sell out at all and didn't sell very many copies (yes I know this is highly unlikely when dealing with PT fans). Would be justice for the "unnamed" who are trying to cash in :wink:

Me, I'm not buying it. If the regular vinyl is a decent price then I'll bite.

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #201 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did I miss part of the review or something?

What a pointless review. No details, just a typical introduction with references to past music, a list of a few song titles and 2 words about some of them. There isn't even a conclusion. Ends saying PT is one of the top modern day prog bands and then...3.5 stars??????

Why give only 3.5 stars when you don't say anything wrong about the album. The review actually sounds like he liked the album. I dont get it at all.

I agree with you, this review is rubbish.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #202 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really hope it takes a long time to sell out of the limited edition for the Incident. Best would be if it didn't sell out at all and didn't sell very many copies (yes I know this is highly unlikely when dealing with PT fans). Would be justice for the "unnamed" who are trying to cash in :wink:

the Limited Editions are a way for Steven Wilson to present his fans with a bit of vinyl type packaging in an age of digital disposal....he explains the packaging a bit if you go to the appropriate link...but there is always the regular cds that have the same material for, I think, it's about 15.00.

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #207 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$106.99
eek.gif

Yes, it's quite a bit of bread but over 900 are sold...heck, they may all be sold out already and remember, this includes shipping and I'm thinking that this is going to be quite expensive....there's 2 photo books a dvd and 2 cds...heavy.

It's compared to Steven Wilson's solo LE package of "Insurgentes" but bigger and I have that one and it's very nice but very big...so this LE must be impressive!

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #208 of 431
Here's a review of the CD2 that I have found on the PT forum :

"OK, so I've had an opportunity to listen to the bonus tracks from The Incident and feel I can add a few worthwhile comments in addition to the what the reviewer above wrote:

Flicker : This was the only song that I (accidentally) got to hear during the playback session up in NY in June, and frankly I was chatting with PT's manager at the time it was playing and hardly paid any attention to it, hard to figure how I missed it though as Flicker is awesome !!!! A super cool, laid back, atmospheric track with Rich's vibey/late night synths standing right out front, and a very tasteful SW solo bookending a lovely LBS-style verse/chorus arrangement. This one reminds me easily of a song that would have fit very nicely on LBS as it has equal parts Disappear and Buying New Soul goodness in it. Oh yeah almost forgot, LOT's of lovely multipart da da da harmony vocals from SW. The reviewer above nailed this one cold, it might well be one of the best tracks on the entire album period !

Bonnie the Cat is a definitely an unusual song in that it is incredibly "all over the place" from a stylistic point of view, yet still very much a linear composition if that makes any sense ?!?!? It starts off all ethereal and ambient-like, before SW starts to add in whispered claustrophobic vocals that sound very menacing at times. There is a very propulsive groove laid down by Gav and Colin and this thing just builds into a monstrous beast by the middle of the song. Richard gets to "air out" an assload of bizarre electronic noise at this point and then the track just blows wide open into a full blown Meshuggah (w/ a Middle Eastern vibe I might add) homage !!! The riffs during this section may well be the heaviest the band has ever created, and frankly this track will just crush skulls in the front few rows of gigs if played live !!! Yes, it's that heavy !

Oh, and BtC is also the only (that I can readily tell) track from the bonus disc of material featured on the My Space medley !

Black Dhalia is a mellow swooning ballad that is predominantly keyboard driven. SW's vocals are fairly heavily treated and have a very distinct Stupid Dream quality to them, nice mellow understated guitar solo by SW, and an ethereal fade out... Dreamy and sweet in a melancholic sort of way, but it didn't knock me out upon a few listens... Almost feels too short in a weird way. Might be a grower though...

Remember Me Lover starts out very spartan, SW and his guitar and then kicks in around the 2 min. mark, and the chorus just sucks you in from the start. While the reviewer above is correct that SW's vox are kinda submerged in the mix and treated fairly heavily, I can still hear what he is saying and these lyrics almost sound personal. At the 3 min mark it gets all groovy and heavy for about a minute and then subsides back into the chilled vibe that it started out with for the verse and then heads back to a more dramatic return of the chorus. Around the 6:15 mark this song starts to get very heavy and intense rhythmically as it hurtles toward the finish. This is a very unique track for SW and PT as it doesn't sound like anything they have specifically done before, but yet as the reviewer above noted there"

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #210 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Today the regular vinyl and deluxe vinyl editions were just listed at Tonefloat Records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back