Porcupine Tree - "The Incident"
Aug 10, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #181 of 431
Quote:

Who's word and where did you hear it?

I created a thread a while back asking for FLAC version of Recordings, or if the cd was available and a few members replied saying a re-release was scheduled sometime. I wouldn't classify that as a "special edition" so a re-release is not completely out of the question IMO.

I can understand if he didnt do that for the deluxe and limited edition versions of the regular albums, but for an album itself to be limited edition and never released again, I find it a bit lame IMO.

As for the DVD's I like Stupid Dream the most, its the best in terms of surround mixing and overall recording with In Absentia on par or a close second. Deadwing is not that good and FOABP is pretty bad. I didnt like Insurgentes all that much to begin with (too much noise, too many songs ending with increasingly louder noise) so no opinions on that one.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #183 of 431
Just preordered "The Incident" LE 2cd box by PT...This will go nicely with my seeing them in concert at Boston's House of Blues on Sept. 27th and all the Merch I buy on that night....Really liking the preview of this album.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #185 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys I've been hearing a lot about Porcupine Tree on this sight. Can someone fill in the following sentence? If you like _______, then you'll like porcupine tree. (Just wondering if I'd like them based on my tastes. Also, if they are "comparable" to different bands at different stages of their career, please include.)

If you like Pink Floyd, Rush, Tool, King Crimson and Radiohead, then you'll probably like porcupine tree.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #186 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like Pink Floyd, Rush, Tool, King Crimson and Radiohead, then you'll probably like porcupine tree.

Except that Porcupine Tree is totally different from any of those you mentioned. They are so unique that it's quite hard to compare them to anything else.

Tool is another band of which uniqueness is quite something.

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #187 of 431
I know that they are very unique and for that reason it's very difficult to compare them but if you like some of the bands that I have mentionned above, there's a lot of chance that you will like PT.

If you like Riverside, Opeth, Anathema, The Gathering, and Marillion, I am 100% sure that you will like Porcupine Tree
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #188 of 431
Quote:

X2, if one had to compare them...they are somewhat difficult to categorize but if I had to then progressive/psychadelic/alternative rock with a dark overtone to them. In FOABP, Anesthetize, Alex Lifeson from Rush plays a solo.

Skip on over to porcupinetree.com....check 'em out and you're just in time for the new release in September.

In Absentia is a masterpiece album IMHO....quite ageless
Signify is right up there for me
Deadwing and Fear Of A Blank Planet and especially Lightbulb Sun....oh heck...Who am I kiddin'....I love almost all of the albums.

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #189 of 431
Quote:

I know that they are very unique and for that reason it's very difficult to compare them but if you like some of the bands that I have mentionned above, there's a lot of chance that you will like PT.

If you like Riverside, Opeth, Anathema, The Gathering, and Marillion, I am 100% sure that you will like Porcupine Tree
wink.gif

Riverside - just okay
Opeth - hate cookie monster vocals
Anathema - never heard them
The Gathering - never heard them
Marillion - makes me sleepy

Porcupine Tree - my favourite band replacing a band that had been in that spot for 20+ years, Rush.

Music is so subjective I think it's hard to guarantee someone will like a band based on how another band sounds.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #191 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadcykler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Riverside - just okay
Opeth - hate cookie monster vocals
Anathema - never heard them
The Gathering - never heard them
Marillion - makes me sleepy

Porcupine Tree - my favourite band replacing a band that had been in that spot for 20+ years, Rush.

Music is so subjective I think it's hard to guarantee someone will like a band based on how another band sounds.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up me...favorite band since childhood is Rush...they'll always have a special place in my heart and I tried...really tried to like the other bands listed...opeth, anathema, etc....only band I liked somewhat was Riverside....but they just don't compare to Porcupine Tree...the Tree is a special band, really and Wilson is something else....if you get to check out a live dvd...you'll be in for a treat...well thought out show....Check out Arriving Somewhere....once I saw them live, I knew PT was something very special.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #192 of 431
I dare to say that the magnificent melodies are Porcupine Tree's key to success. Also their versatility is really something. They have very experimental sounding albums (like Voyage 34 or The Sky Moves Sideways) with much progressiveness and then somewhat easier to listen to -albums (like In Absentia or Fear of a Blank Planet). Also sometimes they can sound very heavy/aggressive and sometimes just melodic/mellow/beautiful. I really love this band more than any other band. For long Pink Floyd was my number one but I can't say it is anymore. You can tell that by checking my last.fm -link.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #194 of 431
Quote:

As one who has recently "discovered" Porcupine Tree I concur with pfillion.
Also, I think this a much better way to recommend than trying to make direct comparisons. Bands such as those mentioned have changing musical flavours at different times, and so the same seems to be the case with Porcupine Tree.

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #195 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone see the HMV limited edition preorder?
biggrin.gif

£8.99 free uk delivery

That is the absolute worst form of advertisement they could come up with. "Let's give people a free coaster. If it gets wet, it's ruined. If the drink is sitting on top of it, no one can read it so they have no clue what the hell it is. But it's cheap! We'll make the general public think they are getting something special. It will cost us very little to make and we can get more sales by saying we have our own 'exclusive' collector's item." Maybe they should also throw in a roll of PT TP so we can wipe our arses when we're done getting reamed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back