Porcupine Tree - Did you appreciate them on first listen?
Jan 4, 2010 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I went hunting for music recommendations here a while back, along the progressive metal lines, and was advised to have a listen to Porcupine Tree's In Absentia, which apparently had a huge following.

And on first listen, I really wasn't impressed. I mean, the recording quality was good, and a few of the tracks caught my attention at times, but overall it didn't grab me.

And now about 6 months later, after having the album come on randomly every now and then on shuffle, I find I really like the album. Has anyone else found that?

Oh, and now that I've acquired a taste for them, which album should I get next?
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 46
I was kind of predisposed in favor of them before I heard them, so I think that had something to do with it. But the first time I heard In Absentia, it was on my Grados, and I thought it was great!

As far as which album to get next...

THE SKY MOVES SIDEWAYS!! One of my favorite albums of all time. Cool... Spacey... Thought-provoking... it's my kind of music, maaaan.

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 46
Same thing for In Absentia with me, at first for the most part.

First song I listened to by them though was Trains and I loved that.

This was years ago back to when I listened to terribad music though.

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 46
Well, I must say yes. The first album I heard was stupid dream and I found it stupidly good
biggrin.gif
Then I went forward to Deadwing and In Absentia which are very different and my mind was blown when I got to their early floyd-like stuff.

They aren't able to do bad records I believe.

They're a very versatile band, with excelent musicians and they are always capable of doing something different in each record and still be amazing.

Jan 4, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 46
Seeing the love many on these forums have for Porcupine Tree I too went out and bought In Absentia a few years ago. It is ok, though to be honest, it still isn't an album that gets me excited.

I liked the 2nd Porcupine Tree I bought (Fear of a Blank Planet) more and the third one even more, although it is a compilation album (Stars Die: The Delerium Years 1991-93). Maybe I should more of their early stuff ...

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 46
In Absentia actually isn't their most accessible album, and not one I will recommend to a n00b to the band. Their most accessible album and IMHO their best album would be the somewhat underrated Stupid Dream. Lightbulb Sun or Deadwing would be good recommendations too for someone with zero prog rock experience. I recommend you to check out these 3 albums next. And while you are at it check out Riverside too, another badass prog rock band.

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #13 of 46
I have listened only to Deadwing and loved it from the first spin.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 46
My intro to PT was the Arriving Somewhere concert DVD. Everything after that was pure heaven.
Just got Metanoia. That one will take some getting used to.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked the 2nd Porcupine Tree I bought (Fear of a Blank Planet) more and the third one even more, although it is a compilation album (Stars Die: The Delerium Years 1991-93). Maybe I should more of their early stuff ...

Following Stars Die I got The Sky Moves Sideways, Signify (with Insignifigance) and Up the Downstair. I think getting Delerium Years is a good idea as the early stuff may not appeal to fans of the newer material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back