Porcupine Tree - Did you appreciate them on first listen?
Jan 4, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #16 of 46
I didn't only appreciate them on first listening. From that moment on, I LOVED them.

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #18 of 46
As a prog-rock listener, i've tried many times to get into Porcupine Tree, as it is one of the most respected prog bands out there, and i had come to know Steven Wilson through his ( brilliant ) production work for a couple of Opeth albums...but...i never liked them, not interesting enough to get me involved.

I really don't know why, i don't like the vocals, it's probably just because of them...

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #19 of 46
I heard Up the Downstair first, followed by Signify and Lightbulb Sun. Then came In Absentia and Deadwing. I must say, I didnt have a hard time liking them. But like the OP, I did like a few songs quite a bit and didnt care much for the others for quite a while before I started appreciating them as albums.

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and now that I've acquired a taste for them, which album should I get next?
biggrin.gif

Try their new album "The Incident".

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #21 of 46
I remember I listened to In Absentia first after hearing great things about it. Saw the cover and thought "Wow this album is going to be bada**!" Put it on and was completely underwhelmed, I remember thinking "Wow all these songs sound the same and are so boring." I don't really know why I thought that because I now love the album and I recently got Fear of a Blank Planet which is pretty good and it will hopefully grow on me some more.

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Commanderloochy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember I listened to In Absentia first after hearing great things about it. Saw the cover and thought "Wow this album is going to be bada**!" Put it on and was completely underwhelmed, I remember thinking "Wow all these songs sound the same and are so boring."

See, I had exactly the same experience. I'd been listening to some prog/symphonic metal for a while, so I am somewhat familiar with the genre and like the style - In Absentia just didn't grab me to begin with.

Dream Theatre was an even odder experience. I started out not liking them, then loved them and played them 24/7, and now I don't like them again
tongue.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I went hunting for music recommendations here a while back, along the progressive metal lines, and was advised to have a listen to Porcupine Tree's In Absentia, which apparently had a huge following.

And on first listen, I really wasn't impressed. I mean, the recording quality was good, and a few of the tracks caught my attention at times, but overall it didn't grab me.

And now about 6 months later, after having the album come on randomly every now and then on shuffle, I find I really like the album. Has anyone else found that?

Oh, and now that I've acquired a taste for them, which album should I get next?
biggrin.gif

Yes, I found this to be true as well.

I’ll wager that in a lot of cases when you’re taken immediately by an album and love it from the onset, you’ll soon tire of it quickly.

Dylan’s Blonde on Blonde is an album that I spun some 25 years ago, I thought it was crap and preferred the traditional folk that Bob did in his early twenties.

It’s up there with my favourites now, go figure.

tongue.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #24 of 46
I too checked out IN absentia due to all the raving about it, and again, because of Steven's involvement with Opeth (whom I LOVE!) but I couldn't get into the album. The vocals bothered me and there was nothing metal about it at all, I thought it was quite tame. And this from a man who loves Damnation and definetly finds it qualifying of metal stature.

I really wish I could get into it. I haven't tried anything else since In Absentia. I think I'd have to start with their heaviest album and with a different singing (if they have that kind)

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #25 of 46
Yes. Absolutely. The first album I heard was 'Fear of a Blank Planet', and I really liked it from the start. Actually, I wasn't into Prog Rock before, but since this album I really like this kind of music. I mean, sure, I liked Pink Floyd and maybe some other rather well-known prog bands, but this band made me appreciate 'modern' Progressive Rock ... They're strong in many ways, and Steven Wilson is great in my opinion. He's one of my favorite producers these days. Wilson mixed or will mix some of the tracks on Anathema's new, upcoming album, by the way
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by InFn-0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i only heard "dark matter" from them and found them to be the most depressing and darkest song ever. I liked it though.

Interesting adjectives for this song. It sure is mellow and slowly (but clearly) progressing song but it has beautiful melodies and even nice touch of electric guitars when the song goes further. Many PT songs might sound depressing to some people but I can't think any of their songs which would sound very dark. The darkest song ever is definitely not made by PT.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting adjectives for this song. It sure is mellow and slowly (but clearly) progressing song but it has beautiful melodies and even nice touch of electric guitars when the song goes further. Many PT songs might sound depressing to some people but I can't think any of their songs which would sound very dark. The darkest song ever is definitely not made by PT.
smily_headphones1.gif

In my book, i found opeth and pink floyd to be competing well with porcupine tree for the most depressing band award. I must add that i really like these depressing stuff when my mood calls for it. Sometimes i wonder what these musicians were thinking when composing such songs, dark matter can bite you by the balls when you are like high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back