Porcupine Tree, anyone?
Apr 1, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #46 of 65
the best band in the world. i like all of it, but since the early stuff is steve wilson on his own and the later stuff is a 5 piece band, the later stuff edges out for me. i particularly love 'sound of muzak' and 'heart attack in a layby' for testing audio equipment. i listen to 3 things to test actually...sade's greatest, porcupine tree's in absentia and gustav mahler pieces.
since becoming a fan of pt, i have been insatiable in my quest for good prog. some i have been turned onto i have liked, ayreon, flower kings and osi, and some i don't, neal morse solo stuff (not because it's christian...just boring) fates warning and pantommind.
anyone got suggestions for more in this vein? i just got got turned onto devin townsend, and i like his stuff a lot!
antiman

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #50 of 65
I had never listened to Porcupine Tree before tonight. Prog Rock/Psychadelic Rock has never really appealed to me so, naturally, I never looked up Porcupine Tree to see what they're all about. I just listened to the songs on their myspace page and found myself intrigued. The experience is kind of like the first time I heard Muse. I learned of Muse on head-fi and even though I never leaned toward that kind of music I decided to buy 'Absolution' just to try out new things. With all the hype I've seen on Porcupine Tree and the samples I listened to tonight, I am probably going to buy a PT album and I probably will not be disappointed.

Apr 3, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #51 of 65
Sort of off-topic, but I've been using the shareware version of DVD Audio Extractor (not meant for DVD-Audio discs, just regular DVDs) to see if I could rip any of the PCM audio tracks on my DVD-Audio discs. I found that all of my DVD-As had MLP PCM stereo tracks that couldn't be ripped by the program... I'd assumed that they just used the same PCM stereo track for both DVD-A and DVD-V, but the DVD-V PCM stereo tracks all turned out to be encoded in AC3.

That is, for all of my discs except the Porcupine Tree DVD-As! The PCM stereo tracks are not encoded, so direct rips are made possible by programs like DVD Audio Extractor (and, if you don't mind a few more steps, freeware programs). I'm now listening to Stupid Dream and Deadwing 24-bit/48kHz FLACs.
eggosmile.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #52 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had never listened to Porcupine Tree before tonight. I just listened to the songs on their myspace page and found myself intrigued. The experience is kind of like the first time I heard Muse. I learned of Muse on head-fi and even though I never leaned toward that kind of music .

sorry to hear the first part.
biggrin.gif
even sorrier that the first song was a compressed music file!! Just kidding, try and here a PT album through a nice rig, and you may be surprised how many different types of music you think of in your listening.

As a matter of fact, some believe that PT pretty much destroys most any genre of music the band touches, emulates, feeds motivation from, or is reminding of..their music goes through phases and is quite interesting in my opinion.

Consider Coma Devine for a nice live tribute to the bands older material..and in absentia or stupid dream if you can find on vinyl..but the albums all are awesome I think. Sky moves sideways is amazing as is Deadwing and Stars Die, the box set.

Always enjoyed these guys' stuff and appreciated the production value and texture in efforts put into the albums. Very cinematic and emotional yet wonderfully mixed and arranged, jam packed with dynamics.

If you like shpongle, or the soundscape type of music that is intervoven with melodies and unique tempo changes, etc..pick up a PT album ASAP

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #54 of 65
Got both in absentia and The Sky Moves Sideways from a good friend for the Holidays and I'm a big fan of these guys. If you're a Floyd fan, you owe it to yourself to give them a try!

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #55 of 65
I met the band[except for the keyboard player]back in 1998 at an in store performance[and got them to autograph the Stupid Dream cd and a promotional poster for the album].

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #57 of 65
Yes! Good to see a Porcupine Tree thread here. The more albums I listen to (including Steven Wilson's solo work), the higher they climb up the ladder for me. It used to be a no-contest between them and someone like Pain of Salvation, but now Porcupine Tree is a serious contender at the top of my music pile.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #58 of 65
Recently got In Absentia and wound up responding to it by ordering Grace for Drowning, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, Lightbulb Sun and Stars Die.  Liking the metallic stuff which is surprising because my taste is more prog rock and classical oriented.  Anyway I have lots of listening to do and will have to consider seeing Steven Wilson in LA in April.  Thanks for the thread and recommendation of PT. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #59 of 65
I'm just starting with Porcupine Tree and Steve Wilson. I've got Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and Anesthetize so far ... more on order. My initial reaction is that musically it's nice (certainly not exceptional), but the sound quality (on the surround sound) is so superb that you almost have to listen to it regardless.

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #60 of 65
Minor fan here...didn't like the incident, it just didnt grab me like other stuff. I am back in a new music mood so I think I will get the early stuff. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back