Porcupine Tree, anyone?
Dec 17, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #31 of 65
Just check my last.fm and ask again if I'm a Porcupine Tree fan.
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #34 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by mckickflip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Porcupine Tree ain't bad. nelamvr6 introduced me to them, I need some more of their stuff.

Hell, you need to get ALL their stuff!
cool.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #35 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool.gif

Nice one, converting the youngsters to progheads
580smile.gif
icon10.gif

Once you start with good prog...it starts to get really addictive...

I highly recommend you guys check out Spock's Beard for a modern dynamic prog rock band. Their sound is not unlike Porcupine Tree but also has more keyboards, a bit more of a throwback to the founding prog bands. It's prog rock, not prog metal (which seems to be the current trend).

Their latest self titled album is really good, but their first album is probably the best starting point. Their former lead singer Neal Morse also released 2 solo albums that are more Christian/spiritual (I like them) that may not be to everyone's taste.

Dec 17, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #36 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice one, converting the youngsters to progheads
580smile.gif
icon10.gif

Once you start with good prog...it starts to get really addictive...

I highly recommend you guys check out Spock's Beard for a modern dynamic prog rock band. Their sound is not unlike Porcupine Tree but also has more keyboards, a bit more of a throwback to the founding prog bands. It's prog rock, not prog metal (which seems to be the current trend).

Their latest self titled album is really good, but their first album is probably the best starting point. Their former lead singer Neal Morse also released 2 solo albums that are more Christian/spiritual (I like them) that may not be to everyone's taste.

I'm gonna have to check them out, thanks for the tip!

And for a really good prog fix, check out the new Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray mastered 180 gram vinyl Fragile! You will not believe your ears! This thing is schweet! You can pick it up here.

Dec 17, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #37 of 65
Quote:

I'm gonna have to check them out, thanks for the tip!

And for a really good prog fix, check out the new Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray mastered 180 gram vinyl Fragile! You will not believe your ears! This thing is schweet! You can pick it up here.

I'm still looking for a CD of Close to the Edge that isn't butchered by compression
frown.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #38 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still looking for a CD of Close to the Edge that isn't butchered by compression
frown.gif

The new MoFi is pretty good.

Edit: Oops! I missed it, you're looking for Close to the Edge. Sorry. If you find one...

Dec 18, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #39 of 65
I fell in love with Porcipine Tree the very first time I heard In Absentia,went straight out and bought Deadwing.One of the best bands I have heard in quite a while.

Mar 29, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #40 of 65
Quote:

cool.gif

x2
unfortunately for me (or fortunately because I will friggin' happily go anyway), the closest PT is comint to AZ is CA thus far, at lease per what is posted and announced already

Mar 29, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #41 of 65
Putting my vote in for Voyage 34 -that's a great little oddity! Sky Moves Sideways is still pretty much my favourite, tho I've yet to hear Lightbulb & Signify...took me a long while to get into Deadwing -odd considering I took to In Absentia like the proverbial duck...

Mar 31, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #42 of 65
i prefer their earlier more psychedelic/neo-floydian sound compared with their more recent more metallic sound. i highly recommend a sampler double seedie set called 'Stars Die - the Delerium Years 1991-1997'. it'll give you a nice smattering of earlier material, and flows quite well. Overstock.com currently has it for $14.56 + shipping, a lot less than i paid for it!
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....ROD_ID=1657943

Mar 31, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #43 of 65
Total Fan here,

I have everything by them (even Recordings) My favorite CD is Voyage 34, and then Sky moves sideways.

Apr 1, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #44 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Total Fan here,

I have everything by them (even Recordings) My favorite CD is Voyage 34, and then Sky moves sideways.

I'm listening to Voyage 34 now for the first time. I can't believe I haven't heard this one earlier. Simply awesome, just like every other album from PT.

Apr 1, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #45 of 65
Man I wish I had picked up these guys earlier! I went out on a limb and purchased In Absentia and Deadwing a little over a week ago and haven't looked back. Overall I like In Absentia more. My faves so far are "Gravity Eyelids" and "The Creator Has A Mastertape", but the entire album is just incredible. As soon as I get a little money, I intend to purchase Stupid Dream. Fear of a Blank Planet should also be very good.

Too bad they are another group I like that doesn't seem to like the South East US much(or the Southern half of the US for that matter). At least, not enough to come down and have a show.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back