Porcupine Tree, anyone?
Nov 17, 2006 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

FloydCouncil

100+ Head-Fier
Any Porcupine Tree fans here? I find myself enjoying pre-2000 (especially The Sky Moves Sideways and On The Sunday Of Life) stuff a lot more then In Absentia. Though I do prefer Deadwing over In Absentia... Probably because the latter records are more metal influenced and I'm not really a fan of metal.

If you haven't heard them yet, you should definitely seek them out! Highly recommended for Pink Floyd fans.

Nov 17, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 65
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Porcupine Tree!!!
biggrin.gif

They are currently my favorite band.

My current favorite album is the Stupid Dream album. And the latest version comes with a bonus DVD-A that sounds exquisite!

Steven Wilson is no doubt a musical genius!

Nov 17, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 65
i like porcupine tree, i listen to it when im not in the mood for anything brutal or pounding. its a touch too proggy at times for my tastes, but its technically brilliant!

Nov 17, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My current favorite album is the Stupid Dream album. And the latest version comes with a bonus DVD-A that sounds exquisite!

Mannnn, Stranger By The Minute is such an amazing song!! The lyric "but you are just fiction... and I'm a twisted boy..." is so BEAUTIFUL! I absolutely love that song! Probably my favorite after Sky Moves Sideways.

Nov 17, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 65
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Steven Wilson is no doubt a musical genius!

One of my favorites as well, just listened to Stupid Dream today
wink.gif

The live concert DVD "Arriving Somewhere" is pretty good also.

Nov 17, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 65
LOL. Around here and most audiophile communities, the thread should be titled "Porcupine Tree, everyone?"

Also one of my fvorite bands. All of their 5.1 mixes are great and are some of the best examples of what can be done with multi-channel audio.

Nov 17, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by FloydCouncil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any Porcupine Tree fans here? I find myself enjoying pre-2000 (especially The Sky Moves Sideways and On The Sunday Of Life) stuff a lot more then In Absentia. Though I do prefer Deadwing over In Absentia... Probably because the latter records are more metal influenced and I'm not really a fan of metal.

If you haven't heard them yet, you should definitely seek them out! Highly recommended for Pink Floyd fans.

Yup, love the Tree too, and specifically everything before In Absentia. Lightbulb Sun was IMO the last good Tree album. Now, Wilson is in a rut creatively. Hmmm... I wonder if being on a major label had anything to do with that
rolleyes.gif

Favorite disks for me are Up the Downstair and Sky Moves Sideways, but my favorite tracks are off the first album - Radioactive Toy and Nine Cats.

P.S. Don't listen to Voyage 34 under the influence! Dark, dark trip
eek.gif

Nov 18, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #10 of 65
What everyone said and then some. Simply an AMAZING band!

Sleestack, I am not kidding, I was just about to write the first line in your response even before I opened the thread, but then I saw that you wrote it. Creepy...
icon10.gif

Nov 18, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #11 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by FloydCouncil
Porcupine Tree, anyone?

Yes, please!

I throughly enjoy every listen through of Deadwing and In Absentia.

Nov 18, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, love the Tree too, and specifically everything before In Absentia. Lightbulb Sun was IMO the last good Tree album. Now, Wilson is in a rut creatively. Hmmm... I wonder if being on a major label had anything to do with that
rolleyes.gif

Favorite disks for me are Up the Downstair and Sky Moves Sideways, but my favorite tracks are off the first album - Radioactive Toy and Nine Cats.

P.S. Don't listen to Voyage 34 under the influence! Dark, dark trip
eek.gif

I love PT, but I cant seem to get into Lightbulb Sun.
Yes, some great songs like "Hatesong" and "Russia On Ice"-but most of it is a little corny to me. I feel like the edge is missing that ive found on In Absentia and Deadwing.

Those are the only 3 albums I have.

Nov 18, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #13 of 65
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Mine too!!!!
340smile.gif

I just can't stop watching their recent "Arriving Somewhere" DVD. Brilliant!!

Nov 18, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #14 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, love the Tree too, and specifically everything before In Absentia. Lightbulb Sun was IMO the last good Tree album.

Have to say I agree completely with you there. Though I did feel Deadwing was a better effort then In Absentia. But I miss the psychedelia of On The Sunday Of Life. Nine Cats is such a beautiful song! Brilliantly sung! Phantoms is great too, but thats on the Stars Die compilation.

Nov 18, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #15 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by FloydCouncil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have to say I agree completely with you there. Though I did feel Deadwing was a better effort then In Absentia. But I miss the psychedelia of On The Sunday Of Life. Nine Cats is such a beautiful song! Brilliantly sung! Phantoms is great too, but thats on the Stars Die compilation.

I like Deadwing as well. It was one of those albums that for me took a long time to get used to. But I feel In Absentia was better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back